Where in FO4Edit can I edit the "Light, Medium, Heavy" armor prefixes?

BlasterMasterCaster

I'm trying to add VIS-G icons to all my mods and I am having an issue with vanilla armors.

This is the situation. Light Armor shows me the VIS-G icons perfectly as it should, but when I change the armor to Medium or Heavy the icon is gone.

Example that works:

[icon Working Perfectly] Combat Armor Left Leg <=== works because it is Light Armor version (Standard)

I change the armor type to Medium or Heavy and the tag/code "[1e Combat] that enables the icon is revealed in text instead of showing the icon:

Heavy [1e Combat] Combat Armor Left Leg

Here are my observation:

- tags/codes that enable icons must go at the beginning of the armor name, when they are there, the tags/codes disappear and the icon image is shown instead as it should

- changing the armor at the Armor Workbench to Medium/Sturdy and Heavy/Tough adds the words: Medium and Heavy to the beginning of the armor name

- the tags/codes that enable icons as a consequence are no longer at the beginning of the armor name because Medium and Heavy take their place

- tags/codes that enable icons are, as a consequence, shown as normal text

So what am I trying to do but don't know where I can edit to make it happen?

I am trying to find whatever place the "Medium/Sturdy" and "Heavy/Tough" values are in FO4Edit and write the code [1e Combat] before them so that I can force the icons to show.

In other words, where the game says: "add 'Heavy' to armors at the beginning of the armor name when you modify an armor in the Armor Workbench", I want to make the game say: "add '[1e Combat] Heavy' to armors at the beginning of the armor name when you modify an armor in the Armor Workbench"

Force the name into: [1e Combat] Heavy Combat Armor Left Leg

Does anyone know where I can find those names in FO4Edit? I've checked on Armor and Armor Addon but I cannot find that option. I edited the "FULL - Name" in Object Modification and it does show me the icon but in the Armor Workbench menu (lol) not in the Pip-Boy and NPC inventory.

And in case you might suggest it, I've modified those armors in the Armor Workbench, dropped the armors, etc. to force the name reset and still no results.

I am using DEF_UI, AWKCR, Armorsmith Extended and VIS-G Item Sorting.

Please help. lol

Most of these are defined in INNR - Instance Naming Rules. For example for armor it's 00184BC1 dn_CommonArmor. I'm highly recommending xEdit (FO4Edit) Plugin - Export-Import INNR (Instance Naming Rules). Without it managing INNR rules is a pain in the ass.

This is exactly what I was looking for and it freaking worked!

I saw your comment pretty much right away but I've been spending all this time trying to figure out how to use it. lol

So here is what I did for those who may stumble upon this same question in the future:

1) I downloaded the Export/Import INNR plug in

2) Put the file in the FO4Edit Plug In folder

3) Looked for Instance Naming Rule in Fallout 4.esm

4) Looked for the last mod in the Load Order that modifies dn_CommonArmor (in my case it was Raider Overhaul, I tried this script in AWKCR and even Fallout 4.esm before it dawn on me that the last mod in the Load Order overrides lol)

5) Right click on dn_CommonArmor in the mod that overrides dn-CommonArmor last (in my case Raider Overhaul)

6) Apply Script > FO4 Export/Import

7) Say no so that the Script exports

8 ) Choose where you want to drop the dn_CommonArmor.csv file

9) Open dn_CommonArmor.csv file in Google Sheets (or Excel or whatever other programs work with this file format)

10) Go to where it says:

Sturdy blah blah blah

Heavy blah blah blah

and add the [1e Combat] before them:

[1e Combat] Sturdy blah blah blah

[1e Combat] Heavy blah blah blah

11) Download (Google Sheets) or save in Excel (I suppose)

12) Go to dn_CommonArmor again in FO4Edit and run the scrip again

13) Select "Yes" this time to Import the new, edited dn_CommonArmor,csv file

14) Save and exit and SUCCESS!

Now my combat armors have the proper VIS-G icons!

Thanks a lot yuser! This will come in handy in so many ways! Have Kudos! Thank you very much! :D

I'm surprised my half baked idea actually had some working implementation. lol

Edited by BlasterMasterCaster

Most of these are defined in INNR - Instance Naming Rules. For example for armor it's 00184BC1 dn_CommonArmor. I'm highly recommending xEdit (FO4Edit) Plugin - Export-Import INNR (Instance Naming Rules). Without it managing INNR rules is a pain in the ass.

Nope, nope, I messed up.

Renaming Medium and Heavy to [1e Combar] makes Robot Armor and any other armor that uses those prefixes to share the Combat Armor icon.

[1e Combat] Heavy Robot Armor Left Leg

I'm back to zero.

I still don't completely understand what do you want to do. Also I don't use VIS-G, so I can show an example only with old good VIS. This is exported dn_CommonArmor INNR (I removed most lines that doesn't matter in this case):

>============================================================
[Helmet];10000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|Chest|;10000;_ArmorSlotChestplate_Slot41[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|ArmL|;10000;_ArmorSlotArmLeft_Slot42[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|ArmR|;10000;_ArmorSlotArmRight_Slot43[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|LegL|;10000;_ArmorSlotLegLeft_Slot44[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|LegR|;10000;_ArmorSlotLegRight_Slot45[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Institute);10000;_ClothingClassInstitute[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Military);10000;_ClothingClassMilitary[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Raider);10000;_ClothingClassRaider[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Rugged);10000;_ClothingClassRugged[ArmorKeywords.esm]
*;1000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Robot;9900;dn_armor_Robot[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Combat;10000;dn_armor_Combat[Fallout4.esm]
Leather;10000;dn_armor_Leather[Fallout4.esm]
Metal;10000;dn_armor_Metal[Fallout4.esm]
Raider;10000;dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]
Synth;10000;dn_armor_Synth[Fallout4.esm]
*;10000
;10000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Heavy;10000;dn_HasSize_C[Fallout4.esm]
Medium;10000;dn_HasSize_B[Fallout4.esm]
Light;10000;dn_HasSize_A[Fallout4.esm]
;1000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Armor;9900;dn_armor_Robot[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Combat[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Leather[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Metal[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Synth[Fallout4.esm]
of Bolstering;10000;HasLegendary_Armor_ResistancesInverseHealth[Fallout4.esm]

For example you have a medium combat armor chestplate, it has these keywords: _ArmorSlotChestplate_Slot41 (from the AWKCR), dn_armor_Combat, dn_HasSize_B (vanilla ones). The game check INNR rules from the top to the bottom until it find first matching keyword in this particular section, after that it moves to a next section. In our example: in the first section the _ArmorSlotChestplate_Slot41 match, so it take |Chest| tag; in the second section dn_armor_Combat keyword match, it take "Combat" string; next section - dn_HasSize_B - "Medium"; then again dn_armor_Combat keyword match and it take "Armor" string. So finally we get this: |Chest| Combat Medium Armor.

Probably you have mixed rules from different sections. If you want to change "Light/Medium/Heavy" strings, then edit just this section. Again, I don't use VIS-G, all of these are just an example.

Sorry for my English. I barely understand you and probably vice versa :-)

Edited by yuser

I still don't completely understand what do you want to do. Also I don't use VIS-G, so I can show an example only with old good VIS. This is exported dn_CommonArmor INNR (I removed most lines that doesn't matter in this case):

[Helmet];10000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|Chest|;10000;_ArmorSlotChestplate_Slot41[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|ArmL|;10000;_ArmorSlotArmLeft_Slot42[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|ArmR|;10000;_ArmorSlotArmRight_Slot43[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|LegL|;10000;_ArmorSlotLegLeft_Slot44[ArmorKeywords.esm]
|LegR|;10000;_ArmorSlotLegRight_Slot45[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Institute);10000;_ClothingClassInstitute[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Military);10000;_ClothingClassMilitary[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Raider);10000;_ClothingClassRaider[ArmorKeywords.esm]
(Rugged);10000;_ClothingClassRugged[ArmorKeywords.esm]
*;1000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Robot;9900;dn_armor_Robot[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Combat;10000;dn_armor_Combat[Fallout4.esm]
Leather;10000;dn_armor_Leather[Fallout4.esm]
Metal;10000;dn_armor_Metal[Fallout4.esm]
Raider;10000;dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]
Synth;10000;dn_armor_Synth[Fallout4.esm]
*;10000
;10000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Heavy;10000;dn_HasSize_C[Fallout4.esm]
Medium;10000;dn_HasSize_B[Fallout4.esm]
Light;10000;dn_HasSize_A[Fallout4.esm]
;1000;_ArmorSlotHelmet_Slot30[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Armor;9900;dn_armor_Robot[ArmorKeywords.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Combat[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Leather[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Metal[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]
Armor;10000;dn_armor_Synth[Fallout4.esm]
of Bolstering;10000;HasLegendary_Armor_ResistancesInverseHealth[Fallout4.esm]

For example you have a medium combat armor chestplate, it has these keywords: _ArmorSlotChestplate_Slot41 (from the AWKCR), dn_armor_Combat, dn_HasSize_B (vanilla ones). The game check INNR rules from the top to the bottom until it find first matching keyword in this particular section, after that it moves to a next section. In our example: in the first section the _ArmorSlotChestplate_Slot41 match, so it take |Chest| tag; in the second section dn_armor_Combat keyword match, it take "Combat" string; next section - dn_HasSize_B - "Medium"; then again dn_armor_Combat keyword match and it take "Armor" string. So finally we get this: |Chest| Combat Medium Armor.

Probably you have mixed rules from different sections. If you want to change "Light/Medium/Heavy" strings, then edit just this section. Again, I don't use VIS-G, all of these are just an example.

Sorry for my English. I barely understand you and probably vice versa :-)

Hi yuser, sorry for the delay in my response but I've been testing and editing and reading and re-reading your observations trying to fix the problem with my icons.

I understand you very well, the problem I have is not that I don't understand your English, but that I am wrestling with the new information you are giving me because my knowledge of modding is very limited.

My only goal is to make my armors display their correct VIS-G icons.

I think I found the problem with Raider Overhaul and some possible instructions on how to fix them, but I am trying to learn how to follow these instruction considering my limited knowledge.

I went to the Raider Overhaul website and read this post in the comments section from Gambit77 (creator of Armorsmith Extended, VIS-G Item Sorting):

"Speaking of which, MadMax for your vanilla version you should probably make unique Instance Naming rules for the detritus and dreadnaught armors instead of overwriting the vanilla dn_CommonArmor and dn_PowerArmor rules as the way your doing it will break armor and power armor sorting for people using VIS, but not the AE patch I did. Just make a unique duplicate of the vanilla rules and add your entries for the two armors to those instead of the vanilla rules, and then change the INRD entries on the armor entries to your new unique rules."

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3733205-raider-overhaul-wip/page-96&do=findComment&comment=36101525

So now I am trying to find out how I do those things myself. lol

I am paying special attention to this part:

"Just make a unique duplicate of the vanilla rules and add your entries for the two armors to those instead of the vanilla rules, and then change the INRD entries on the armor entries to your new unique rules."

But I am asking myself:

1) What am I supposed to duplicate from the vanilla rules and where? The whole instance naming rules?

2) Where do I add those armors and what do I add in terms of information?

This is where I am currently at. Trying to find this stuff by myself. lol

Edited by BlasterMasterCaster

But I am asking myself:

1) What am I supposed to duplicate from the vanilla rules and where? The whole instance naming rules?

2) Where do I add those armors and what do I add in terms of information?

DEF_INV (in your case VIS-G) replaces tags with icons. Tags - the first part of the name with brackets around it, something like "|Chest|", "[Combat]", "(Aid)", etc. So you need only the first section of the INNR. Make sure it contains keywords that are needed to find a corresponding tag.

If you really want to make new instance naming rules (INNR) for an armor:

1. Find this INNR in left pane in FO4Edit, right click on this record, select "Copy as new record into...", then select to create new file. I'm recommending to create ESP file with ESL flag. (alas, Bethesda's engine requires to copy a whole record even if you want to modify just a single part of it) Then enter a new name of this INNR record (for example dn_NewSuperArmor instead of dn_CombatArmor).

2. Copy records of armors you need almost the same way as above. The only difference: you need "Copy as override into...", then select the ESP file you have created at the first step. You can find armor records at the left pane in the "Armor" section. You need to copy the whole armor just to change the INNR in it, thus "override", because you want to change an existing record.

3. Then in your new ESP file select armor in the left pane then in the right pane find "INRD - Instance Naming" field and change it from default to your new ruleset from the point1. Just press F2 to edit this field and start typing "dn_NewSuper...", FO4Edit will filter records while you are typing.

4. Now you have copied an INNR ruleset and an armor(s) into a new plugin and now this/these armor(s) refer to your new ruleset. So now you can experiment with INNR rules and do what you want to do.

(maybe someone experienced with VIS-G will advice you something more concrete/specific, all of the stuff above is just general advices)

DEF_INV (in your case VIS-G) replaces tags with icons. Tags - the first part of the name with brackets around it, something like "|Chest|", "[Combat]", "(Aid)", etc. So you need only the first section of the INNR. Make sure it contains keywords that are needed to find a corresponding tag.

If you really want to make new instance naming rules (INNR) for an armor:

1. Find this INNR in left pane in FO4Edit, right click on this record, select "Copy as new record into...", then select to create new file. I'm recommending to create ESP file with ESL flag. (alas, Bethesda's engine requires to copy a whole record even if you want to modify just a single part of it) Then enter a new name of this INNR record (for example dn_NewSuperArmor instead of dn_CombatArmor).

2. Copy records of armors you need almost the same way as above. The only difference: you need "Copy as override into...", then select the ESP file you have created at the first step. You can find armor records at the left pane in the "Armor" section. You need to copy the whole armor just to change the INNR in it, thus "override", because you want to change an existing record.

3. Then in your new ESP file select armor in the left pane then in the right pane find "INRD - Instance Naming" field and change it from default to your new ruleset from the point1. Just press F2 to edit this field and start typing "dn_NewSuper...", FO4Edit will filter records while you are typing.

4. Now you have copied an INNR ruleset and an armor(s) into a new plugin and now this/these armor(s) refer to your new ruleset. So now you can experiment with INNR rules and do what you want to do.

(maybe someone experienced with VIS-G will advice you something more concrete/specific, all of the stuff above is just general advices)

My bad for taking this long to respond but these days have been quite crazy and I have been too busy until yesterday to move my situation forward.

Two things got me stuck: one of my HDDs died and I was spending time trying to fix the HDD to no results, and I was also waiting on making some progress in my no-icons-because-of-Raider-Overhaul situation, so that I could post something new in my reply to you.

I have also been messing with all these different AE, Vis, and VIS-G patches of Raider Overhaul trying to get the icons to work:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14182?tab=files

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17895?tab=description

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20923?tab=description

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35292?tab=files

So I have been trying all sorts of things this days trying to solve the situation.

I have fixed my main problem fortunately and thanks to your help, yuser! Thank you. Now icons show up for most armors (I have a Leather Chest Piece that won't show me icons but I will hunt what is causing this).

I did what you suggested. I created a new entry for Instance Naming Rule and I copied the values in the VIS-G patch that I linked above for the Raider Armor Pieces and now icons show up for most items!

I only have one problem though that is driving me insane.

There is a Material mod featured in Raider Overhaul in the armor workbench which is called "Dreadnaught". I am trying to make Raider Armor pieces (arms, legs and chest) to show me the text (Dreadnaught) in the name when I choose that material in the Armor Workbench, the same way (Buttressed), (Standard), etc get added to the armor name when you choose that option in the Armor Workbench, but so far I have failed to accomplish it.

When I choose the Dreadnaught Armor Update in the Armor Workbench under materials, the Raider Armor Piece doesn't get renamed and this is what it shows, for example:

Tough Chest Piece

If I add Buttressed in the Armor Workbench, the piece changes to

Tough Chest Piece (Buttressed)

and I am trying to make it so that when I modify an armor piece with "Dreadnaught Armor Update" it can change the name to this:

Tough Chest Piece (Dreadnaught)

But I have no idea where in FO4Edit I need to add the "(Dreadnaught)" text so that the armor piece is automatically renamed when I modify it ingame.

And here is where I am currently stuck. lol

Search the sections of INNR somewhere below, for example it's from my VIS:

(Welded);10000;dn_HasMaterial_1[Fallout4.esm];dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]
(Tempered);10000;dn_HasMaterial_2[Fallout4.esm];dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]
(Hardened);10000;dn_HasMaterial_3[Fallout4.esm];dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]
(Buttressed);10000;dn_HasMaterial_4[Fallout4.esm];dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]

As you can see the game checks two keywords for these rules and if it found both it adds a corresponding string to a name. Notice that one of these keywords is from OMODs - object modifications, and other one is from an armor record itself. For example raider armors (ARMO records with names like Armor_Raider_LegLeft) have dn_armor_RaiderMod keyword. And object modifications (OMOD records with names like mod_armor_RaiderMod_Leg_Material_4) have dn_HasMaterial_4 keyword (buttressed). So default raider armor (all pieces) have dn_armor_RaiderMod keyword and if you will make a "Buttressed" modification on it it will get dn_HasMaterial_4 keyword.

In your case probably armor keyword is still dn_armor_RaiderMod (as it is still raider armor), but you will have to find a corresponding OMOD record and a keyword for drednaught modification in it. And finally add to *your* INNR rules to a corresponding section something like this:

(Dreadnaught);10000;dn_RaiderOverhaul_HasMaterial_Drednaught[RaiderOverhaul.esp];dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]

I never used Raider Overhaul so it is just an example, I don't know how the ESP file and the keyword are actually named.

Search the sections of INNR somewhere below, for example it's from my VIS:

As you can see the game checks two keywords for these rules and if it found both it adds a corresponding string to a name. Notice that one of these keywords is from OMODs - object modifications, and other one is from an armor record itself. For example raider armors (ARMO records with names like Armor_Raider_LegLeft) have dn_armor_RaiderMod keyword. And object modifications (OMOD records with names like mod_armor_RaiderMod_Leg_Material_4) have dn_HasMaterial_4 keyword (buttressed). So default raider armor (all pieces) have dn_armor_RaiderMod keyword and if you will make a "Buttressed" modification on it it will get dn_HasMaterial_4 keyword.

In your case probably armor keyword is still dn_armor_RaiderMod (as it is still raider armor), but you will have to find a corresponding OMOD record and a keyword for drednaught modification in it. And finally add to *your* INNR rules to a corresponding section something like this:

(Dreadnaught);10000;dn_RaiderOverhaul_HasMaterial_Drednaught[RaiderOverhaul.esp];dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm]

I never used Raider Overhaul so it is just an example, I don't know how the ESP file and the keyword are actually named.

yuser BEHOLD in all it's named GLORY!!!

https://i.ibb.co/y6Bq73V/Fallout-4-Screenshot-2020-06-02-23-52-53-60.png

Apparently the INNR ruleset I copied from the VIS-G patch did not contain the Materials line for Dreadnaught:

Dreadnaught;10000;dn_armor_RaiderMod[Fallout4.esm];dn_HasMaterial_Dreadnaught[RaiderOverhaul.esp]

So I used the Import/Export FO4Edit Script and added the line with Google Sheets and it worked perfectly!

Now I just need to fix the Raider Overhaul weapon icons and the mod will be working as intended!

Thank you very much yuser! I couldn't have done this without your help!