• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

TheBigLebateski

TheBigLebateski

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

I tried out modding New Vegas recently, after literally 10 years of playing, then replaying, and playing again. I always wanted to try, and since i built my new computer i finally have an opportunity to do so, as i have been playing exclusively on console. So i watched a few videos and tried it out, and now I'm hooked. What i wanted to know was if quest mods were very popular, because i have been dying to make one in NV, large scale, multiple choice, new outfits, weapons, perks, challenges, the whole thing, I've got the time, the patience, and the resources required to do so, for the most part. I've spent hours reading forums and watching videos and making little mods of my own. The only thing holding ,me back is the fact that i don't wanna put in all this work and effort and love into a project that no one will ever see, i just want to know what i'm doing is worth while, because all the most popular things appear to be tweaks or weapons or fixes or items, but not that many quest mods.

Ethreon

Ethreon

Hobo Feral

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,941 posts

Never go into a modding project hoping it will be popular. Either you do it because you are passionate about it or you don't.

M48A5

M48A5

Resident poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,396 posts

Of the 21,000+ mods available for FNV, 609 (2.8%) are quest mods.  It takes dedication and hard work to put together a decent quest mod.

Then you have to put up with the bad mouthing from the idiots that can't or won't read instructions. 

Getting posts like "your mod sucks, it broke my game" and not getting any other information.

If you don't do it for personal enjoyment, than don't do it.

TRCMods

TRCMods

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Hey man glad you got to open the tool set and take a crack. I really hope you you make it man. The previous 2 posts are dead on the money so here's my take.

1) Mod for yourself. Do it because you enjoy it. Modding is a long process and your project sounds massive. (I've got some more direct advice about that later.) You're only going to stick at something you enjoy doing and are passionate about. Don't worry about if it will be popular or change the world. It will change you and that's all that matters. You're going to learn a variety skills and develop mental determination and artistic ability and probably make a few friends on different forums and discords along the way. So please just make what you love because you love making it. This isn't a job. endorsements and kudos don't buy you anything. But time spent doing something you love is time well spent (insert doing your mum joke here).

2) Ignore the macacos (our pet name for the people described in the 2nd post.) if you try to cater to every request or respond to every problem covered in your description you will get burnt out and jaded. They're not important. Again see point 1. Do what you love to do because you love doing it. (unless you love eating human brains while they still alive. in which case maybe get help)

3) Be realistic. Your 1st mod is probably going to suck. sorry but it's the truth. You're going to spend so much time learning the tools that you won't really be focused on the creative side. Like how playing the scales on the piano isn't making music. But it is going to enable to move to the next step. Don't start with your big dream project. Just take 1 small aspect of it, a side quest maybe where you have to go kill a Raider boss for caps and just make that. You will learn a lot of good ck skills making simple missions. And you'll be able to finish them relatively quickly so you won't get burnt out. Please please really listen to this one point. The mod graveyard is full of overly ambitious projects where the author wouldn't let their grand vision be compromised by things like time and what's realistically achievable. Start small and build slowly.

I really hope this helps. I don't know much about New Vegas modding but you're welcome on my content creator discord if you need a hand.  Good luck and peace out. 

Radioactivelad

Radioactivelad

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

So i watched a few videos and tried it out, and now I'm hooked. What i wanted to know was if quest mods were very popular, because i have been dying to make one in NV, large scale, multiple choice, new outfits, weapons, perks, challenges, the whole thing, I've got the time, the patience, and the resources required to do so.

Here's an important life lesson:

Any one who has ever pursued any Creative dream will tell you something to this effect: Start small. Channel your Ambition in to Humble projects. Recognize your fantasies for what they are: Fantasy.

Rushing head-first into making some massive "DLC" mod is at best going to burn you out, and at worse, make you feel like you don't have what it takes to make these kinds of things when you inevitably hit some kind of wall.

We know this, because most of us, including myself, learned it the Hard Way. It's hard to temper passion, and some of us, including myself, still get ahead of ourselves.

But trust me, The Hard Way is not a Good Way, and it often results in broken people thinking they don't have what it takes to be creative and abandon their dreams all together. And that's the ultimate tragedy.

(Or you end up like Uwe Boll, incapable of reflecting on criticism, never improving as an Artist, and everyone just thinks you're an a**hole.)

If you want, we can discuss what you already understand about the geck, and I can offer some prompts and resources you could use to develop an actually finished product.

Edited by Radioactivelad, 26 May 2020 - 02:36 PM.

Bloodstar717

Bloodstar717

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I hope you well with your modding career and I'll be watching out for your mods. My advice is to not start of large scale, do something that is smaller so you can learn from it. Maybe make a small quest to get a weapon or outfit, or you can make a companion mod which can great for you to learn how to create unique characters. 

sykoholic001

sykoholic001

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

"Tell your story because you have a story to tell, not because there's an audience." - Mrs. Petersen, 12th grade English Teacher

TheBigLebateski

TheBigLebateski

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks and just to be clear I wasnât talking about making a popular mod but just wanting to know if quest mods were something that the average player enjoys. Iâm going to make one anyway just wanted to know why there were so few. But I guess it makes sense Iâve scrapped 3 projects already with countless hours in all over the past month or so. Iâve been coming home everyday and making something for them, hopefully the latest attempt will be one I can spend at least a few weeks iterating upon. Biggest problems right now are time based scripts and ai packages, why are ai packages such a f***ing nightmare? Iâve learned a good bit of the dialogue system, that seemed pretty hard, but this, my goodness I spent almost 4 hours trying to reliably move a guy from his house to a store and back. Everything else is pretty great though, I might need to scale back a bit.

TheBigLebateski

TheBigLebateski

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
One thing I realized was that Iâve been spending way too much time on aesthetics and not enough on quality. Iâm not a great writer but I love movies and Iâve always wanted to make one so why not a game? I mean itâs just a movie you interact with right? Iâm rambling I guess. Every time read a script or go through a dialogue in the geck I get another idea I want to implement.

Radioactivelad

Radioactivelad

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

That's why it's important to set limits on yourself.

It's also why you so often hear that "This DLC/Sequel began development almost immediately after the first game was finished!"

Stay focused and save the sudden-ideas for a future project.

Page loaded in: 0.895 seconds