So how popular are quest mods?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

dubiousintent

dubiousintent

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 7,866 posts

Ack!  Double-post, with the expanded/edited version below.

-Dubious-

dubiousintent

dubiousintent

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 7,866 posts

There are so few quest mods because they tend to utilize all the skills people have to build up incrementally: design, plot, models, textures, scripting, and pretty much every function of the GECK.  Game studios have teams that work on just a particular aspect of each of those things.  The independent mod creator has to learn and combine them all for a quest.  Most of the mods published are things people undertook to learn the basics of parts of those skills, and ran out of time or patience to eventually bring them all together into a quest.  Which is why the universal advice is "do it for yourself".  If you don't have the passion, then you won't finish.

Good ones are popular.  Look at the ratio of "endorsements" to "unique downloads" from a quick and unscientific sample of mods:

New Vegas Bounties I  0.09

New Vega Bounties II  0.09

New Vegas Bounties III  0.07  (many people had troubles with some part of this one)

The North Road Remastered  0.05 (the original version is not available for comparison, so this is not a very accurate reflection of it's popularity, probably because people haven't "replayed" the new version)

Depths of Depravity  0.08 (same author as North Road, and a later mod so more indicative of popularity)

Compare to a couple of other types of well known mods:

A World of Pain (AWOP)  0.08

Project Nevada  0.09

Weapon Mods Expanded - WMX  0.08

WME - Weapon Mod Expansion  0.07

-Dubious-

TheBigLebateski

TheBigLebateski

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

I just hope i can make something someone else can also enjoy and give them another reason to keep playing my favorite game ever made. I love questing which is why i like making quests.

TRCMods

TRCMods

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Well get the hell on with it then. You have a story to tell so go tell it. As I said better to take one small part of your story and make a simple quest mod. This is how most new authors get things done. They break down their novel into short stories and work on those, get them published so an agent takes notice.
As much as possible re-use the existing world space. Scratch building a dungeon is fun and you will need to do it one day but don't remake anything you don't need to. The nice thing about quests is they help develope a broad knowledge base of the tools. After that you can home in and refine any area of them.

TheBigLebateski

TheBigLebateski

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the support, Iâve got some screen shots on my profile if anyone is curious. Iâve begun the first 2 stages of the first quest, Iâm hoping to make at least 2 branching conclusions to this one, and then make atleast 2 more quests and a challenge and perk for this mod. Thatâs the base, as of right now I donât have any plans for any other custom cells or structures, just dialogue, and choices. And secret little audio logs, journals, and items to expand dialogue of existing characters.its just going to be my voice right now, but I guess some voiced dialogue is better than none.

Page loaded in: 0.944 seconds