Launching "problem" on Skyrim SE

Vaefio

Hi,

I recently installed Skyrim SE on Steam and tried to add some mods before starting to play it.

Back in the old days, I remember installing SKSE directly on steam as a "software" and launching the game directly from Steam with no problem to any mods I was adding from the workshop.

Now, with SKSE64, things got a little bit different.

I manually installed SKSE64 into the main folder (with the SSE.exe file) on my computer (I followed the instructions) and as for mods, I used the Vortex Mod Manager which appears to be very convenient. I also used TOOL to sort my mods.

BUT, if I launch Skyrim SE from Steam or from Vortex, I end up in a "broken" game which tells me that:

- I cannot earn achievements because the game is modded (though I installed the "AchievementModsEnabler" which seems to work properly)

- SKSE64 is not running

- SkyUI is potentially broken due to the absence of SKSE64

If I start a new game or if I load a save after launching the game with Steam or Vortex, I get this error message:

z1qVUqd.png

Now, the weird part of this problem: if I launch the game from the skse64_loader.exe file, it runs perfectly and smoothly, and everything works just fine. SkyUI is working and the mod enabling achievements does its job. And I get no error message of any sort.

Although it is not a big deal to have to launch the game from the skse64 executable instead of launching it directly from Steam or Vortex, I am quite disturbed by what appears to me as a nonsense. Did I miss something while installing SKSE64? Or while configurating Vortex?

Would anyone know, by any chance, what is going on?

Thanks in advance for your help and insights.

I don't recall its name but there IS a mod that restores the ability to gain achievements while using SKSE. Unless it's been removed, I'm pretty positive it's on nexus. For me, "achievements" are pretty irrelevant (not technically a "gamer", or at least I don't identify as one and don't really follow the culture...I'm a geek, a muckraker, a musician, a lover, and other things, but not a gamer, although I do enjoy Skyrim). So I can't offer a link.

Launching SKSE? I launch from a desktop shortcut either way. I use Vortex solely for mod management. It just works, and without any potential for a shell pointer (vortex being that shell in this instance) to end up doing nothing because some button address got bumped or a "t wasn't crossed", figuratively speaking)

AFAIK you can launch form Vortex, but I don't and I don't know the details, I just know that I've seen post after post over the last year where someone's issue turned out to be using the Vortex skse launcher launcher (Twice on purpose) , no dig on Vortex intended.

edited for gross typos, just like always

(though I installed the "AchievementModsEnabler" which seems to work properly)

I did install the mod for achievements. It just doesn't work when I launch Skyrim from Steam (or from Vortex). However, it works perfectly when I launch Skyrim via the SKSE64 launcher. I think it is related to the fact that SKSE64 doesn't work when I launch the game from Steam or Vortex launchers. And this is exactly where I can't understand what's happening: why does SKSE64 doesn't run when launching the game from Steam or Vortex?

from the mod description (so idk, seems like SKSE64 would be a normal way to use it, rather than using the canonical bethesda/steam launcher)

REQUIRES THE LATEST VERSION OF MY DLL LOADER TO BE INSTALLED IF YOU ARE NOT USING SKSE64!
LINK HERE (DLL LOADER)
LINK HERE (SKSE64)

I'm sorry but I think we don't understand each other. Whether I earn or don't earn achievements is not the point here. The mod to enable achievements while the game is modded isn't the point either. I've played hundreds of hours to both the vanilla version released in 2011 and the Legendary edition, so I don't really care about achievements on SSE. If I can unlock them, that's good, if I cannot, this is not a problem.

I am pointing out the fact that:

- on the vanilla version, skse was directly installed on steam, and I could play a modded Skyrim without any trouble by using the Steam launcher

BUT

- on the Special Edition, skse64 is directly installed on my computer (not on Steam) and seems to be separated from the Steam launcher. Therefore, if I launch Skyrim from Steam, I get the message telling me that SKSE is NOT RUNNING and that SkyUI could be bugged. (And another side effect is that the achievements enabler mod doesn't work, but that, I don't really care.) However, if I use the skse launcher (which is the skse64_loader.exe file), the game runs perfectly and everything works just fine.

So I'm a asking if I did something wrong with the skse64 installation because what I described previously seems quite odd to me.

Ah...my apologies.

What most of us do is to create a desktop shortcut to the SKSE64 launcher and then fire up the game from that shortcut.

I know that it's possible to do so from a convenient button in Vortex or one of the other mod managers, but I never bothered to chase that, since to me, it seems like an unnecessary layer of complication (Not to mention I've read probavbly a hundred complaints about having difficulty getting the SKSE launcher running from (insert mod manager)'s clever in-shell button.

Launching the game from an SKSE64 desktop shortcut is easy and reliable. Almost bullet proof in fact, as long as the underpinnings are ok (ie, no mod conflicts or other "corruptions that preclude the game running in the first place)

I hope I didn't misunderstand this time.