I'm having a problem with oblivion sound

Estevan14

Well, I have two old pcs, one is newer than the other, because of that I can install mods in the last one without having 2fps. The problem is, that I noticed how oblivion sound is good, when I was testing it in the older pc. It has a good specular ambient sound, but, when I came again to the newer pc, using the same headphones with the same audio volume, the sound is very low. I mean, in the menu it is loud and normal, but after I click continue, or load, during the loading the sound suddenly mecame low, quiet, even with the volume maxed, and this bothers me cuz I want to play oblivion with all that ambience and specular sound. Idk if the problem is related to mods, but my load order is very short, I even uninstalled the unofficial patches, to have better performance (I have a 1ghz dual core processor, check my specs in my profile), cuz if I install more than 10 or 20 mods I cant play with more than 20 fps, even with the graphics in mid-low. In the lowest settings I can install up to 50 mods, but oblivion become very ugly, and stutter remover remove the "stutter" but my fps become negative, but now I'm changing the subject. So any suggestions? Maybe questions cuz I dont believe I was clear

In the Audio menu there are four individual controls for different aspects of the sound in-game (Voices, Sound Effects, Footsteps, and Music). The overall sound level (i.e. affecting all sound volume) is the Master Volume slider.

I suggest having a look through Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide for tips on running on an older machine.

In the Audio menu there are four individual controls for different aspects of the sound in-game (Voices, Sound Effects, Footsteps, and Music). The overall sound level (i.e. affecting all sound volume) is the Master Volume slider.

I suggest having a look through Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide for tips on running on an older machine.

yes I've already tried to max everything, or just one, but still it isn't the same thing it is in the other computer, and Idk if the problem is related to mods or not. Ah, one more thing, I deactivated most of the windows services in msconfig, leaving only:

Net Connection Agent

DHCP Client
Network Connections
WLAN Automatic Configuration
Windows Audio End Point Builder
Microsoft Passport Container
Windows Connection Manager
On/Off
Windows Events Log
Net Logon
Microsoft Passport
Quality Windows Audio Video Experience
Network Location Awareness
Volumetric Audio Compositor Service
Network List Service
Network Store Interface Service
Steam Client Service
SysMain
and Windows Audio,
to max my performance when playing. I've already optimized oblivion, tweaked it settings both in launcher and in the ini and optimized my windows settings for max performance, along with applications like oblivion 4gb patch. Still I have some performance issues, but I'm used to play with 20-30 fps (or less, I've finished arma 2, almost arma 3 and sniper elite 3 in this computer with an average rate of 7 fps), cuz it has been 5 years since I lost my "good" notebook, and I've learned a lot about increasing performance, or modding, in skyrim and fallout 3 and NV, and other games, during this time. but I still don't know what is causing this issue in my oblivion game. I didn't tried to activate every service yet. I'll try it now
Edited by Estevan14

Nope, it didn't worked. I've activated every windows service and didn't changed anything in game. Maybe it is a mod problem, and my drivers are updated. sure, the last version have 8 years old, but they are updated, so I think it is a mod or file or configuration problem, altough I didn't changed any sound config in oblivion ini, and the in-game sound settigns are resetted to default, just like in the other pc.

Edited by Estevan14

I can un-install oblivion and all its mods, then re-install again and test vannilla, but it will take me a lot of time to set every mod and tweak I made to work correctly, so I don't want to do this. I've spent almost two months to do everything (Yes, as many modders I spend more time modding than playing, and when I enter in the game, most of the time is to test if everything is working correctly, and everytime there's an error so I need to exit and try to correct it, but this is the routine of every modder)

No promises (I'm not really a load order expert) but perhaps if you post your load order something will jump out as the culprit.

- Edit - Also are you using exactly the same load order between the two machines?

Edited by Striker879

I can think of some windows issues that might pose a problem:

In the volume mixer, Oblivion/headphones might be set to a lower volume than normal. Also, you want to check under your playback devices/sound in the control panel to make sure you don't have any odd enhancements that would drown out the sound, such loudness equalization or some other setting.

Also, I don't suppose you are having this issue anywhere else on that pc? Also, if you have any audio codecs installed it will probably cause problems with Oblivion sound since they do not play nice together. You'll want to check your installed programs in the control panel to see if you have any those installed.

Maybe it is a mod problem, and my drivers are updated. sure, the last version have 8 years old, but they are updated, so I think it is a mod or file or configuration problem, altough I didn't changed any sound config in oblivion ini, and the in-game sound settigns are resetted to default, just like in the other pc.

Using the latest sound driver on an old computer can sometimes cause an issue, so try to go back to the sound driver Windows detects or reinstalling the DX 9.0c (Oblivion requires DX 9 to be installed).

You can always delete the Oblivion.ini, NOT Oblivion_default.ini, then launch the Oblivion launcher and doing that will generate a new Oblivion.ini. Of course every edit(s) you made in the current Oblivion.ini will be removed, so make a copy of the existing Oblivion.ini before deleting it.

Edited by leonardo2

• 4 weeks later...

No promises (I'm not really a load order expert) but perhaps if you post your load order something will jump out as the culprit.

- Edit - Also are you using exactly the same load order between the two machines?

sorry for replying only now, I've been very busy with studies during this quarantine. The oblivion installed in the computer with good sound doesn't have any mods. Ill try the other suggestions too once I get some time. And beware, my load order might have some strange names, its because I made a few mini mods myself

sorry for replying only now, I've been very busy with studies during this quarantine. The oblivion installed in the computer with good sound doesn't have any mods. Ill try the other suggestions too once I get some time. And beware, my load order might have some strange names, its because I made a few mini mods myself

That category of mod is generally easy to spot in my own load order ... stuff like MyTweaks.esp, MyTweakedNPCs.esp, MyAdditionalNPCs.esp ... guess it's so I can recall who the mod was made for or something. :laugh: