Dark Brotherhood Questline

Bakura210

Hello everyone. I posted this on Reddit but was unsuccessful, hopefully I can get help here.

So I seem to be having a problem with the Dark Brotherhood questline. First off, I should begin by saying that I kill Grelod before even speaking to Aventus first.

So I kill Grelod as usual and go back to Aventus Arentino to complete it, then this is where the problem begins. After completing the quest, I don't always receive the letter, even if I fast travel and wait, it still doesn't arrive. I had to look up how to make him deliver the letter with console command. Once I have the letter, I go to sleep like usual, wake up in the cabin with Astrid and then I kill one of the captives, and here's another problem, when I kill one of the captives and go back to report to Astrid, she just says "Need something?" Or "Brother/Sister" and I can't complete it. So once again, I have to use console command to advance the quest, I get out and go to the sanctuary, complete the first few contracts blah blah blah and when I get back, Cicero should be there with the night mother, but he isn't. The night mother's crate is there but Cicero is nowhere to be seen. Ok cool. Let's move on. I then get the quest to talk to Muiri in Markarth and all that, I kill Nilsine no problem, but when I kill Alain Dufont, the arrow still points to his corpse. I tried reviving him and killing him again but it doesn't work. So... once again I have to use Console command to advance the story. After that, I get the quest to spy on Cicero, and spy on him I do... or rather that's what I would like to say but Cicero is still missing! And doesn't show up. So again the solution is console command. Luckily, the next quest works fine. So to just cut this very long post, the next broken quest is Vittoria Vici's wedding. She's not there. Then once again at the Cure for Madness. Cicero still missing. Then after killing the Gourmet, the next quest doesn't start (To kill an Empire) and I read somewhere that if it doesn't start, to just mark it as complete with console. The next kinda broken kinda not quest is "Hail Sithis!" When I enter the Emperor's room, he's already dead and naked so the quest automatically completes.

So yeah.... I'll leave it at that. Sorry for the really long post. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try going back to a prior save B/4 Killing G.t.K. and get the quest activated by A.A. ??

Sometimes Skyrim can be very picky on Quests being started before they were activated.

Then there is one more option:

use the console command to get the stage:

getstage db01 <enter>

It should give you a number between 0, 20, 30, 200

Then try:

setstage db01 30 <enter>

Then see if you can go tell A.A. that you killed G.t.K.

Let me know, I'll be checking back.

Yeah, but I just tested it in one of the previous playthroughs, and it gave me GetStage >> 255.00 and I'm only as far as killing Alain Dufont, which as I mentioned, even when I kill him, the arrow still points to his corpse.

Edit: I started another new game just to do the getstage step by step and everything seems fine up until I complete the innocence lost quest. After I complete it, it gives me GetStage >> 200.00 and when I exit his house, it changes to 255.

Thank you btw for all the help.

Edited by Bakura210