I fixed the NPC voices cutting out issue! YUSSSS!

rcavanah

Be sure Steam is updated: they upgraded the browser part (based on Chromium) and many audio issues, including sound bugs (e.g. randomly locked audio channels) are finally gone..

Try also Steam Beta...

Edited by rolloLG

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys,

It's been months since this problem started, and I haven't found any concrete solution online: it's the bug where you walk around an NPC as they talk to you, and in certain positions, their dialogue cuts in and out. I wish I had a handy patch, but it seems to be a deep-seated problem, so there probably isn't a way that a patch could fix it... so for those with the same audio options as me, perhaps this will fix your problems.

I read a post on the Steam forums that suggested that most people who experience this have a Realtek sound card, and are playing in stereo... and both were true of me. I was messing around in my Windows 7 "speakers properties" (search: "Manage Audio Devices," then open the active speakers' properties). Under the "enhancements" tab, I clicked something called "Virtual Surround," which says it encodes surround audio for transfer as stereo output to receivers with a matrix decoder. It sounded similar to the problem; the guy on the other forum pointed out that perhaps Skyrim was always trying to output 5.1 audio, so at certain angles, the audio doesn't have a proper rear speaker to output through.

So, I checked the option, then booted up Skyrim, and I haven't had a single voice cut out since. In fact, I've noticed much more dimension in the sound, and I hear a clean transition from speaker to speaker as I circle wildly around talking NPC's. Never noticed that before, and I think it's because there was no transition... it just cut out.

Hopefully someone else can benefit from this experience! :D

Thanks dude been pondering this for a while now. And so I for one for sure have benefited from this.

• 1 month later...

I still have this issue. And i tried search - useless, nobody know solution.

I don't have any "Virtual Surround" in my rltk. hd manager, by the way.

Razer Surround didn't help.

Like and other manipulations with sound.

Windows version doesn't change anything too. (like 8, and 10, same thing, i don't remember about 7, but i remember this problem was not always)

Ok, i said more - i have zalman 5.1 headphones with integrated c-media usb soundcard, and it have c-media driver, and it still behave same way as realtek.

Because, i think, there is 2 type of issue with voice cutting out.

First one because some problems with audio channels, when sound goes to channel that u don't have to output sounds.

Such issue can be in crappy game ports (like Silent Hill: Homecoming, where even with 5.1, still have issues with sound positioning)

But, i don't have this problem, because i spin around some sound source, and it positioning correctly between channels (with razer or c-media, or with just stereo)

Cuts only voices of npc's. And it happen when i moving near them. I think it even not about angle at all.

It second issue, it cuts out random part of voice dialogue when i moving near npc's.

And all tips that i found in internet didn't work for this issue.

Except one (i figured out it by myself, without internet) - rebooting PC. After rebooting PC it work fine, with razer, with c-media, etc.

But reboot whenever i want play stupid game, it's so annoying.

But now, when after some time i tried again to find something else about this, i didn't find anything, and even didn't find any fresh discussions about it

I think it just can't be fixed, because it some strange skyrim issue. I think it about how skyrim output voice, how he address to some driver, or API, or something.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...I was messing around in my Windows 7 "speakers properties" (search: "Manage Audio Devices," then open the active speakers' properties). Under the "enhancements" tab, I clicked something called "Virtual Surround,"...

In my case it helped, but just for a couple of days when there was not a single sound cut-off indeed. Yet today the dialogue cut-offs resumed. I checked my Windows7 Speaker Properties, and the Virtual Surround is still ON. What's going on? I've never been experiencing such issues during the ages of playing Skyrim on my laptop. These sound gaps emerged a month or two ago.

• 4 weeks later...