Have custom unarmed animations ready. I wanted to replace special unarmed animations but when I did that no animation was played

Nightstrom

As you know, in the original Fallouts you would have access to new unarmed attacks if you weren't using any weapons (not even unarmed weapons) and have the appropriate skill level. I wanted to bring that back.

My plan was simple:

-Add a hidden perk to "Fists" (It's classified as a weapon in GECK).

-Perk would be active when you are using your fists but it would also be locked and hidden.

-The perk would only trigger after reaching a certain unarmed skill.

-Then add multiple conditions with "has unarmed ... power attack" perk entry. For example ranger takedown's is "has unarmed back power attack".

-By pressing different directions, you would do different attacks with different animations and damage.

Problem started when I replaced h2hattackcustompower animations (used by special unarmed perks). There was no animation played and no damage was done. Tried with all of them.

If I can get this done it'll be the first mod to truly experience the classic unarmed gameplay. I have some other small features planned too but until I can fix those I can't proceed.

Edited by Nightstrom

Have you seen the "Animation" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article?

Not my area of expertise, but did you make sure to use "relative" pathing in your NIF file pointing to your KF file? I would expect this to be similar to the issue in the wiki article "How to fix hard-coded texture paths in NIF files" for the procedure to locate the texture file entry within NifSkope. (The path needs to be "relative" instead of "absolute"/"hard-coded" in order to be found on various installation locations, which is what that article covers.) But in short form the procedure is (using "left-click" with your mouse):
* Open the NIF file in NifSkope.
* Click on the part you want the texture for; it will "highlight" it in the Block list.
* Expand it (click the triangle) and highlight BSShaderPPLightingProperty. Expand that.
* Highlight BSShaderTextureSet.
* In "Block Details" section you will see textures (DDS files). Expand it.
* There you will see the paths to the textures used by that mesh. They should start "\textures" with nothing else before that.

-Dubious-

The files I have were extracted from another mod. They work perfecty fine as regular unarmed attack animations. I want them do be displayed on 2 conditions: you have to possess the required skill level and be completely unarmed.

I'l try this NifSkope method, but it says I have to tweak textures? There are no textures involved, am I missing something?

I did say "similar to". Yes, you are dealing with KF animation files instead of DDS texture files, but the problem probably is the same. Unfortunately I don't know about animations or which NiNode they are connected to, which is why I pointed you to that "Animation" section of the "Getting started" article. It has links to a number of tutorials. With many of these tutorials they are discussing general principles in terms of very specific games or mods. You have to get beyond the labels to the concepts.

-Dubious-

Dubious you are a life saver. I opened the custom and the default animations in skope, copy pasted the second text "AttackCustom1Power" from the original file by right clicking and selecting Edit String Index. It worked! Thank you very much.

A bonus question if you don't mind, do you know how can I mirror (flip) animations? For example a left kick becomes a right kick.

Edited by Nightstrom

Sorry, can't help you there. I'm not a modeler or animator. My superpower is .. I actually RTFMs and can reasonably search out stuff on the web for things I don't know. But I'm retired and only do so for things I am actually interested in these days. I'm happy to share what I do know, and help point people towards resources, but actual WORK is long past interesting to me. My remaining time is too precious for boring stuff.

-Dubious-