OBSE not detecting MenuQue plugin

TL;DR - I'd like to know what sorts of documents/photos I need to produce to help me find the truth as to why MenuQue just does not load in. Do any mods actually matter for this since it's a plugin and not an ESP or ESM? I'd like some help on this matter, any info or any amount of time spent helping me out is deeply appreciated. Please and thanks; especially to anyone who took the time to read the longer non TLDR, :happy:.

I've spent close to 48-56 hours scouring the internet for some posts regarding detection issues between Oblivion Script Extender and MenuQue. The main mod page says to put it in the Oblivion folder, so I assume that meant where the executable is. I'm following Bevilex's Modlist (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591), and it recommends to put it in the Plugins folder under the OBSE folder in Oblivion's "Data" folder.

Under recommendation, I put it under OBSE for it to at least register in console. Not all the plugins made some sort of notice in the console that they are live, so I assumed that MenuQue would probably fall under that group of plugins... just not saying anything when I load the game (that's probably one of my mistakes here). I proceed to go download and test (every time I added something) every mod I do not have to register for on the modlist, along with a couple of other ones that are not on the modlist to supplement the ones I have to register for (dog textures, stuff like that).

Seems fine until I get to the More Mods? section in the modlist and it recommends the Ultimate Leveling mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/49134). I download it and follow instructions; though having to repeat the install for both it and Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul twice after I realized I installed their OMODs using Wrye Bash. I fix any hiccups from having to reinstall these two mods and move on to logging into the game for moderate testing. As soon as the game finishes loading into a fresh new test save, I see a warning box that says that it does not detect MenuQue and will default to the vanilla UI/compatibility state, as well as a warning that experience based leveling does not work without the MenuQue present.

I've tried moving the MenuQue plugin itself around, and reinstalling both OBSE and MenuQue into their correct locations. To no avail, it simply has no message in the console that MenuQue has loaded; I still get both warning windows.

It's at this point in the story I look back and forth looking for other people who've made statements or had issues; from Steam, to Reddit, to here. I have found nothing that sounds quite like my issue (could be wrong, could not have looked closely enough). Have been doing that for a couple of days now. The fault lies squarely with me; since I know that Kyoma, Maskar, and Bevilex cannot have made a mistake in either curating the modlists or making their plugins/mods.

I'd like to find the truth as to why MenuQue isn't picking up when the game loads it with OBSE active. (I should mention it loads okay when the vanilla-esque leveling system is used, so I can just use that and deal with MenuQue not being present at all.) I'm planning on doing a LP of Oblivion with this modlist and some other mods, so I'd like to get this right. The solution could be staring at me in the face and I'm just not getting it. So, long story short, would anyone mind helping me out on this?

A start would be telling me in this thread what is needed in terms of documents and photos to help whoever reads this to help me. I'll be happy to do my best to supply everything.

Thanks for taking the time to read this; for any additional help; or even just the response of "You probably shouldn't be using "X" mod or "Y" plugin for "Z" reason.

First step is to confirm that OBSE is working. Make a save and then exit. Look in the Users\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves and see if you now see two saves with the same base name but different file extensions (e.g. MySave09.ess and MySave09.obse). If you only see a single save each time you save then OBSE is not working (and thus there is absolutely no way for MenuQue to work).

If you are seeing two saves then next make certain that you have the following:

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\MenuQue.dll and

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\MenuQue\Settings.ini

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\MenuQue\Submodule.CS.dll

Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\MenuQue\Submodule.Game.dll

The file Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll is not required (as far as I know) ... it is included so that if for some reason you had the old obsolete version of MenuQue installed and then installed the latest version without removing the old obsolete version's OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll it will be overwritten by the current OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll, which is just a dummy whose only function is to overwrite that old version file. You can install the OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll if you want, it doesn't do any harm besides a warning in OBSE.log that doesn't affect anything.

First off, I'd like to thank both Vahu and Striker for the replies. Considering the game's age, I was honestly expecting to take a lot longer to start a conversation.

Second, I can in fact confirm that OBSE is saving a duplicate copy. Base game uses "ess" as an extension and OBSE uses the "obse" extension, if my eyes are correct. (see attachment)

Third, I can confirm I at least have all four of the required files. I deleted the dummy file, since its only function was to update from a previous version if you did not remove the files each time. (see attachment)

Lastly; took a crack at the OBSE.log file (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yVBna_GdSGgjz8S2NDH07eaG6KwTYTerVKoK_DPHydo/edit?usp=sharing). The MenuQue.dll returned as a null in the log and was deemed incompatible during query (not sure as the .dll file for the plugin was at least in the plugins folder). I am using MenuQue version 16b, if that helps in this regard. Of course, I expect that if the main ".dll" file returned null, the other two won't work properly either. Both the Submodule.CS.dll and Submodule.Game.dll return with error code 126 (000007E). (had to put a Google link with the text from that log intact, hopefully the margin different between Notepad and Google Docs didn't damage how to read that text)

Again, thank the both of you for the replies; as well as any additional responses moving forward. I really appreciate the help with this. I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world, and I know little of coding syntax outside of what friends in the business tell me (which is snippets of stories, mostly).

Edited by Coinstamp180

Can you post the part of OBSE.log that pertains to MenuQue inside spoiler tags ... example of how to use spolier tags:

[spoiler*]All of what you want in the spoiler tag goes here[/spoiler*] -except you use the word spoiler and not spoiler* (had to use the * so that they would display and not work as spoiler tags for the example).

- Edit - Could be a problem with the site right now using spoiler tags ... couldn't get the example of my own OBSE.log to work inside spoiler tags just now. If you also have trouble just post the header part of OBSE.log and then the MenuQue part. Here's my example snipped to cut down the size (don't you worry about size):

OBSE: initialize (version = 21.4 010201A0)
oblivion root = G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\
config path = G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\obse.ini
plugin directory = G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\
... bunch of other plugins loading
checking plugin G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\MenuQue.dll
SetOpcodeBase 000025D0
RegisterCommand mqSetMessageBoxSource (25D0)
RegisterCommand mqGetSelectedClass (25D1)
RegisterCommand mqGetHighlightedClass (25D2)
RegisterCommand Kyoma_Test (25D3)
RegisterCommand mqGetEnchMenuBaseItem (25D4)
RegisterCommand mqGetMapMarkers (25D5)
RegisterCommand mqGetMenuChildFloatValue (25D6)
RegisterCommand mqGetMenuChildStringValue (25D7)
~snip~
RegisterCommand GetTrainingMenuCost (27C6)
RegisterCommand GetSkillForm (27C7)
RegisterCommand GetAVSkillMasteryLevelC (27C8)
RegisterCommand GetAVSkillMasteryLevelF (27C9)
RegisterCommand tile_GetVar (27CA)
plugin G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\MenuQue.dll (00000002 OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue 00000010) loaded correctly
And if you have OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll loading you'll have:
checking plugin G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll
plugin G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll (00000002 OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue_OLD 00000000) reported as incompatible during query
Edited by Striker879

The entry from his log file reads (used control+f to find it):

(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\MenuQue.dll

plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\MenuQue.dll (00000000 <NULL> 00000000) reported as incompatible during query

(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll

plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll (00000002 OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue_OLD 00000000) reported as incompatible during query

The first problem with this is that steam is located in program files, which in windows vista and up, is controlled by UAC (User Access Control). UAC prevents modification to files in protected folders which seriously hampers the ability to mod Oblivion. What you'll want to do is move Oblivion to a different non-protected folder such as C:\Games\Oblivion to prevent UAC from interfering. To do that, visit this link: https://www.techspot.com/article/1429-move-steam-game-library/

With that said, I don't know the reason why it wouldn't load unless the download was corrupted for some reason(aside from UAC). In that case you could try to download menuque to a different folder to make sure you don't get a corrupt copy. You can use a hash tool to compare the hashes to make sure you got a valid copy of the file: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-hash-checkers-file-integrity/

Edited by FireTehVahu

Thanks to both of you for the continued support. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm sort of afraid to move things out of the program files unless absolutely necessary. That is not me objecting to doing it; just stating my feelings on the matter. Thanks for the links; I'll take a look at them, especially since this isn't the first time I've heard of UAC-issues for modding games. I just didn't have the real know-how to remove them and the tutorials I did find were a bit hard to follow for me. (Just me not having enough computer competence, basically, :happy:)

While this is for moving the game around, will I also need to move OBMM/Wrye Bash/TES4Edit at the same time if they are located in the game folder or do I just need to simply tell it a new folder location/folder path where the Oblivion.exe will be?

This is just so Striker can get a better look at the log.

checking plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\MenuQue.dll

plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\MenuQue.dll (00000000 <NULL> 00000000) reported as incompatible during query

(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll

plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue.dll (00000002 OBSE_Kyoma_MenuQue_OLD 00000000) reported as incompatible during query

checking plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\Submodule.CS.dll

couldn't load plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\Submodule.CS.dll (Error code 126 (0000007E)

checking plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\Submodule.Game.dll

couldn't load plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\\Submodule.Game.dll (Error code 126 (0000007E)

I saw that in the repost by Fire.

What has me scratching my head is that OBSE is working (normally the root cause of problems with OBSE plugins not working is that OBSE itself is not working). The version of MenuQue is exactly the same as I'm using (which is the latest that I'm aware of going by upload dates on the MenuQue mod page Files tab).

Are there other OBSE plugins that are reporting as loading correctly?

Now for some shot in the dark stuff ...

Have a look at the 3:49 mark of

and then again at the 5:47 mark and finally at the 7:07 mark (which is the part I was wanting to bring up ... the others are just dot the i and cross the t type stuff).

When I made the switch from WinXP to Win7 I too went through problems getting OBSE to work (and as you can see my game is not installed in a UAC protected folder). At the time I just installed the game using the true (hidden) administrator account (the other "administrator" accounts are actually just the old WinXP Power User account with slightly elevated privledges). It wasn't until years later that I ran across the Full Control info. When I made that change in my regular everyday administrator account I had no issues running OBSE.

My thinking here is that even though OBSE is loading and appears to be running correctly MenuQue isn't getting the permission (via OBSE) that it needs, but this is again one of my shot in the dark troubleshooting things.

Sorry for going dark for a while. I had to go and learn how to partition disk space to make a new "drive" as well as read all the links that have been referenced thus far.

I went and made the new game folder on that new drive something that OBSE could write to, as well as following the instructions verbatim at the mentioned timestamps. I think the hashes on a fresh copy of MenuQue versus the one I originally had when I first posted this topic matched (prior to replacement by the fresh copy), at least according to the 64-hash strings I looked at.

All other plugins load correctly. Even Pluggy; it had difficulty finding a handler before the move... no errors noted in the obse.log that ran after booting the game twice. It's just MenuQue and its line of .dll files (not counting the Kyoma dummy that comes with the MenuQue package). I honestly don't know. I run Windows 10 as an OS, but an issue should have cropped up a LONG time ago with some of the other plugins if this were the problem.

At least I know to do this with all of the other games I mod frequently (Skyrim, Starbound, etc).

Thanks again for the replies and the time spent helping me with this.

Okay, I figured it out after bashing my head at it for a while.

For some reason, MenuQue NEEDS its subfolder structure in the plugins folder under OBSE. I watched Bevilex's old videos to make sure I didn't miss something. I did and it was the simplest thing to do; drag MenuQue as the compressed ZIP to Wrye Bash as an installer and simply install it that way. When I found out, I was beyond livid with myself.

I was trained to remove any unnecessary subfolders from installs, especially since all other plugins have stuff screw up if I keep the subfolders. And usually, when extractions and copies are referenced in modding, they usually mean to just extract the contents to the right folders (as the player already has them or has to make them) or are specifically told to remove them and place them in the native folders the base game install already has.

I am so sorry for the wasted time. Especially since I did more than the mod instructions asked of me, when I think about it objectively. Thank you guys again for the help you both have given, :happy:. I've learned some new skills and grew out of my fear of moving files out of the C-Drive (for the context of modding games).

Edited by Coinstamp180