Max number of .esps and .esms combined before running into problems!

Source on the fix mod fixing anything but the "second problem" as it were? It is literally the only claim it makes, and people keep saying it did other things in other games, but no one, not even the mod author, believes it does those things in THIS game.

I agree that the name is misleading, because it doesn't fix the "first problem" but that's what it sounds like it does from the title. That said, if you read the description, the only thing the mod claims to do is fix the "second problem". It makes no other claims. It mentions that in (I think it was NV?) the mod did MORE than change that one integer, and that it had more benefits because of that. But the Oblivion mod ONLY changes that one integer and thus has zero other functionality. Anyone taking from what the author has said that it has the same benefits as the NV mod just didn't read the comments very well.

I'm running 157 ESPs + ESMs (158 counting Oblivion.esm). Now granted not a one of those has anything to do with overhauling cities, or overhauling landscapes, or overhauling very last thing in the world. I know the root cause of any instability I have in the game (when setting up a load order I test ... capital T and probably every other letter in the word). I understand to the fullest extent humanly possible how each mod affects the game and how they interact with each other (many of my mod selections are intended to interact with one another).

The common thread I have seen over the years with some people's stability/performance problems are those certain better this and unique that and multiple O (or M) type load orders. My question is this ... are those people's problems caused by the number of mods or is it the actual mods themselves that are at the root of their stability/performance problems?

Certain load orders require a different play style. With some you can play for hours and then when you are tired and need some sleep you save and shut down the game. Others require you save at each turn (you will learn where the cell boundaries are and you will like learning where the cell boundaries are) and either restart from your last save after you've CTDed or go through a save/shutdown/restart cycle because you just know what is going to come next.

Both are valid gameplay styles, whether or not we realise it we are determining that aspect of the game while we're building our load orders.

The issue is that when there are so many files in the data file, even when they're not active, it can cause issue. Its why ghosting exists.

Indeed. Wrye posted a thread about it on the old BSF and several years later LHammond created a wiki page for it just to preserve important information.

Also, the thread link (via the Wayback Machine) in the wiki page needs to be updated.

• 2 years later...