Date Range Sort/Search Function Suggestion

Gerg1n8or

The date range tool is a very cool and useful addition to NM, but I think it could be made better, or perhaps just its current function better clarified in the interface.

If I want to browse a mod category, the default settings are Time = All Time and Sort by = Date Published. If a date range is set, mods published in the date range are returned, sorted by publish date. This, I think, is a logical and expected behavior. But when I'm sorting in any other way, like by downloads for example, I intuit that the use of the date range tool is to sort the mods by the number of downloads received during the selected time period. Instead, the date range functions as though publish date was still in question, filtering mods published outside the selected range, and then sorting them by their all-time downloads.

So let's say that I want to find the mods that are currently used (downloaded) and relevant in the past 2 years, but I don't care about publish date. If it was published in 2015 but people still use it, I want to know. If it was published in 2018 and people use it but it's buried on page 28 because it can never catch up to mods that were out near the game's release, I want to know. If it was published in 2015, is ranked top X by total downloads from its release era, but no one has downloaded it in 2 years because a patch broke it or a better but lesser-known alternative has come out, I don't want to know. As far as I know, there is no way to carry out this search.

Hopefully I've done an adequate job in communicating the use-value of such a tool, were it to exist, but I understand some of the limitations that may be in play, be they labor, computational, or database related.

Thanks for your time and the one-of-a-kind service that Nexus provides!