Guide on reskin weapons

inakrin

Let's open rhe file of the gun we want to redraw, PKM in example. Looking for it in the entitylibrary\weapons\FC3\

So what we need now is change the first weapon skin named CAMO_1. Let's searching for the string with that name and check out for the using materials.

Here they are:

1. grassam-m-20120621110104

2. grassam-m-2305201262546020

3. hlevasseur-m-20120920141628

4. xperreault-m-2011012062249433

5. grassam-m-2305201262070026

6. xperreault-m-2011012062275874

7. xperreault-m-2011012062306359

Now we should copy these material files from the graphics\_materials folder (warning, 4k files in the list. It could be a long opening) to somewhere there we can edit them. Open the first file with notepad++ and see that there many digit junk over there and some paths leading to the xbt files. So we just clearing the junk and copy left text to the one text document.

Here we are! That's our texture list!

BOW_NEW_DECALS_2 -Copy

Ggraphics\__fc3_graphics\_common\ _textures\weapons\_shared\decals_d.xbt

Igraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\colors\18grey.xbt

Ographics\__fc3_graphics\_common\ _textures\generic\colors\neutral_normalmap.xbt

PKM_Metal

Cgraphics\__fc3_graphics\_common\ _textures\weapons\pkm\pkm_01_d.xbt

Qgraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\metal\metalrustdrip_d.xbt

Dgraphics\__fc3_graphics\_common\ _textures\weapons\pkm\pkm_01_s2.xbt

Cgraphics\__fc3_graphics\_common\ _textures\weapons\pkm\pkm_01_n.xbt

Vgraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\specmasks\tilingmask_metal.xbt

PKM_Paint2

Qgraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\metal\metalrustdrip_d.xbt

Vgraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\specmasks\tilingmask_metal.xbt

PKM_BulletChain

PKM_Ammobox

Lgraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\metal\ammobox_01.xbt

PKM_Fabric

Ggraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\colors\grey.xbt

Ngraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\fabric\fabric_01_d.xbt

Xgraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\specmasks \tilingmask_plastic.xbt

PKM_Wood

Dgraphics\__fc3_graphics\_common\ _textures\weapons\pkm\pkm_01_s2.xb

Ngraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\wood\finewood_01_d.xb

Xgraphics\__fc3_graphics\singleplayer\ _textures\generic\specmasks \tilingmask_plastic.xbt

As we can see here, there is straingt depending of what part of the weapon will be using what kind of texture. In perspective that means unedgeble amount of the skins for any weapons! XBT files are DDS files with a hex header which can be easy handled by Haoose tool, and DDS is easy to edit with any graphic editor.

Hope it was helpful. Enjoy!

Inmenu changes. Desert eagle in wood SURPAT and ak47 in desert MARPAT

http://savepic.ru/3686008.jpg

http://savepic.ru/3682936.jpg

I have no idea where all of your file paths/folders are, nor of the steps I'm supposed to follow

I just have some big .dat files and small .fat files

do I need the Dunia tools to extract? do i need to backup everything before I do so?

and would I need to extract the entire 3.5 GB archive just to replace one single skin of one single gun?

could you possibly help me instead?

it would be much quicker and less of a waste of time

I just want to assign the "sand" skin of the P416 Assault Rifle to the Bushman, please? :D

That's the only mod I want! That's the only problem I have with the entire game.

That's the only request I'd ever have ... ever ...

I didn't create a separate topic for it since this topic kind of takes care of that.

I hope you can help

Thanks in advance

I have no idea where all of your file paths/folders are, nor of the steps I'm supposed to follow

I just have some big .dat files and small .fat files

do I need the Dunia tools to extract? do i need to backup everything before I do so?

and would I need to extract the entire 3.5 GB archive just to replace one single skin of one single gun?

could you possibly help me instead?

it would be much quicker and less of a waste of time

I just want to assign the "sand" skin of the P416 Assault Rifle to the Bushman, please? :D

That's the only mod I want! That's the only problem I have with the entire game.

That's the only request I'd ever have ... ever ...

I didn't create a separate topic for it since this topic kind of takes care of that.

I hope you can help

Thanks in advance

So you want sand bushman, right? Check miscs of PBU in a hour today.

Here: http://farcry.nexusmods.com/mods/4/ fale named sand_bushman

Edited by inakrin

Thank you :D +1 kudos, you're awesome :D thank you!! Thank YOU!

and I will endorse :)

edit: well it doesn't work ... the bushman signature assault rifle still has the green camouflage, instead of the sand skin :( maybe you overlooked something? maybe I need to enable it somehow?

I replaced the two patch files in data_win32

I started up the game in both dx11 and the default .exe and i still only have the green camo,,,

Edited by Rudyard

Thank you :D +1 kudos, you're awesome :D thank you!! Thank YOU!

and I will endorse :)

edit: well it doesn't work ... the bushman signature assault rifle still has the green camouflage, instead of the sand skin :( maybe you overlooked something? maybe I need to enable it somehow?

I replaced the two patch files in data_win32

I started up the game in both dx11 and the default .exe and i still only have the green camo,,,

Give me a screenshot please. Because with MY textures bushman loox like this. And your skin will be definetely another with deafult textures.

http://savepic.ru/3864756.jpg

Howerev, fixed self protected version uploaded same there. Do not forget to backup you original patch files!

Edited by inakrin

YES! The new file works :D

however, you chose the wrong skin :P

This is the skin the default P416 AR has:

http://t.imgbox.com/acxTHPC6.jpg

This is the skin the default Bushman has (Jungle):

http://t.imgbox.com/acgOspuo.jpg

This is the skin that you applied with the latest file uploaded (Dry Lands):

http://t.imgbox.com/acvLrgns.jpg

And this is the "Sand" skin that I love most of all

(because it reminds me of Spec Ops: The Line) :

http://t.imgbox.com/adpTpWHN.jpg

Thank you for all your continued support :)

oh, and I always back up original files so I have them safe ;)

Edited by Rudyard

Hey... I've followed these instructions time and time again but I still cannot edit the camo/paint jobs... I've opened every .bin file in _materials/ with notepad++ and for each weapon they all referrence the same .bin files for each camo/pain job. I can't change them. I know I'm missing something small but I can't figure it out. I've even replaced 18grey.xbt with another .xbt of my camo and still the bow will show up as if nothing has changed. Any thoughts.

Well, basically I'd like to be able to apply new skins whenever I have an idea. Right now I have a RealTree HD texture i would like to apply to either an existing skin or new one, doesn't matter really.

What I do not understand is how exactly are the file paths in the .bin files related to each skin (ie Sand, Jungle, Tribal, Fire, etc) when they all point to roughly the same .xbt texture of the weapon itself and not one of the"skins". I even went so far as to change the .xbt textures that the .bin files were pointing to to my RealTree texture but still nothing.. What am I missing and where are the 'skin' textures located?