How to move a light source?

beebophuckleberry

There is a player home I really like; https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4518?tab=images

The light source for the fireplace is placed outside the fireplace on the other side of the cooking pot. If you're standing in front of the cooking pot and looking at the fireplace, then you're basically standing on the light source and it cast shadows in all directions. This also causes the cooking pot shadow to cast itself towards the fire instead of away from the fire. If you click the link to the mod and look at the picture with the fireplace, then you can see the cooking pot shadow going towards the fireplace instead of away. You can see it here...

ytIYZtV.jpg

Is there a way to relocate a light source? In this case I want to put the lightsource in the fire so it looks correct and cast shadows in the right direction.

P.S. I did make a bug report, but this mod has not been updated since 2016 and I don't think it'll be updated anytime soon lol.

Thanks!

You will want to open up the mod in Creation kit. Starter tutorial here: https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Category:Getting_Started

Instead of selecting Skyrim and Update, you would double click on the mod in question, make sure it is checked to be the active file, and then your changes will save directly to it.

Open up the cell in which the fireplace is located. Across the top is a series of buttons. Click the light bulb shaped one to turn off the work light, so you see only the house lighting.

If you already see strange colorful shapes and light bulbs, find the one in front of the fire, click to select it and use your mouse to drag it where you want it. If not, press M to toggle "markers." Find the light bulb in front of the fireplace. Light sources appear this way in Creation kit. Usually, people put those inside the fireplace, especially if they're shadow lights, but sometimes kind of peeking out so the mantle and base get a little light also. You can hold S and slide the mouse to increase the diameter of the light, and Shift + CTRL + S the same way, to increase or decrease the brightness.

If there is something in the way of selecting the light bulb, select it instead and press 1 twice, to hide it. Then you can get to your light bulb without issue. That hiding is temporary and won't affect the game, and it will reappear next time you load the cell or hit f5.

Once you've moved it where you want, save and you should see your changes in game.

*Recommend copy/pasting the mod's esp to a safe location, before starting this. If it doesn't work the way you want, you can simply delete and paste the original back in to undo.

Edited by thumbincubation

Thank you so much! I did everything as you said. It was surprisingly simple considering I've never done anything like this before. I moved the light source inside of the fireplace and the shadows looked perfect on the render screen. I clicked save, and it saved successfully. Next, I deployed the load order and saved the external changes. Then, I load into the game and go inside the player home and it hasn't changed at all??? I'm sure I missed something simple, but I can't figure it out.

EDIT: I checked Tumblestone Cottage for conflicts in SSEEdit, but there aren't any.

EDIT2: Just to be sure the changes saved I started CK again and loaded the player home. Sure enough, all changes were saved because the changes still appear when I look at it in the render screen.

EDIT3: Maybe I should remove the player home. Make a save with it uninstalled. Then, reinstall the player home, make edits in CK before loading the game, save CK changes, deploy load order, then load from the clean save?

EDIT4: Loaded from a clean save and all changes are showing. Looks perfect now! Thanks for your help! How do I give a kudos from the forum?

EDIT5: I swear this is my last edit. I think this is the most edits I've ever done. Anyways, found your Nexus profile and gave a kudos. Thanks!

Edited by beebophuckleberry

Hi beebop,

Thank you kindly for that. It was very nice of you. I'm glad you got things going the way you wanted them.

I should have mentioned it before, when I make some changes, they show up right away. When I make others, I have to go out of town, wait for a while (I usually do 30 day waits for everything) and then come back to town. I'm not sure how to break down what does/doesn't require a wait, but I usually end up doing it with house changes and changes to NPC outfits (easier than running around and doing "resetinventory" on all of them. There are some console commands to reset cells and purge cell buffers, but I try to shy away from those. I had never considered the clean save. Thank y ou for that. It's good that it worked for you.