ESP to ESM question.

th3overseer

Howdy, I have a quick question. So, Long ago, I made a (bad) quest mod called the Initiation. It was an ESP, no problem. A bit later, I turned it into an ESM with FNVedit so I could have it as a master for another mod I did, called Eliza. Now, the issue is that, while I did make the Initiation an ESM technically, it's extension is still ESP, not ESM. If I were to release a new version of it where it's a a proper ESM, would it still work? Would the bits of Eliza that relied on it still function if the extension is changed? I have no clue. If anyone knows, thanks.

Far as I know, it's just a formality and you can manually change the ESP extension to ESM with no problems.

Esm conversion tends to only break things if you were practicing bad habits to begin with, like using Numbers for Script and Object names. (also make sure your sound file folder is updated to match the new extension.)

As always though, you should really just play through the mod yourself.

I assume by "proper esm" you just mean that you are changing the file extension from esp to esm.

There are several different ways of making an esm. It sounds like you are just taking the esp, setting the esm flag in FNVEdit, and then changing the extension from esp to esm by manually editing the file name. That works fine.

Note that voice files are organized in \sound\voice\(mod name) so if you change the mod from mymod.esp to mymod.esm you have to change the folder name in \sound\voice to match it.

Be aware that if you use the GECK Powerup to directly edit your esm afterwards that all kinds of things can get broken. You might want to copy and save your existing esp, and then make any edits to the esp, then convert your edited esp to esm. If you forget or if you've already changed the file, make sure you change the extension back to esp and clear the master flag using FNVEdit before editing the file in the GECK again.

Updated the "TIP - Master files" entry in the 'GECK: Common Problems' section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article to include that bit about the sound files.

It's also worth noting that the "GECK Extender" plugin can safely edit a file with the ESP extension without needing to edit the file header to use the ESM flag first, avoiding the entire "renaming" issue in the first place.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

If I change the extension from ESP to ESM, Eliza goes ballistic, won't function, claims it's missing the master file. With that in mind, the Initiation will always be incorrectly labeled as an ESP so as to not break everything.