Vortex Broken - Won't Launch Game / gamebryo Won't Enable

CombatDork

I started Vortex one day and it wouldn't launch Skyrim: SE, which was odd. I attempted to launch Skyrim: SE from Steam and it also wouldn't start. So I searched around the forums and found two users who were having similar issues.

"Go to Vortex Dashboard > Extensions and look for Gamebryo Plugin Indexlock and Gamebryo Plugin Management. If the two extensions are disabled, then enable them. If they are enabled, then re-enable them. (Don't worry about the other extensions shown in the picture below.)

post-583370-0-48868200-1559917193.png

If this does not resolve the problem, then let us know, It would help if you could further describe your issues using the guidelines found here: How to Request Vortex Support."

I followed this step as well but I was unable to get the extensions to enable at all or stay enabled and kept getting errors.

So I decided to to a complete uninstall/reinstall of everything but that still didn't solve my issue. Particularly, I couldn't get Vortex to launch at all after the reinstall step. So i decided to post in both threads since they were related and I asked,

"I have a similar issue where Vortex won't load its own extensions to run but would launch to the dashboard. I couldn't launch any games because of some extension called "gamebryo" and its subsidiaries."

There was no way to re-enable the extensions, or to repair them.

So some google-ing and some forum browsing all pointed to a uninstall/reinstall Vortex.

Uninstalled Vortex, shutdown, boot up, ran Vortex Installer, Vortex attempts to load and never does. Some times I get a long ass error message. Which, for some inexplicable reason, won't let me copy the text off it. Here's my attempt to transcribe it.

"Startup failed

The specified module could not be found.

\\?\C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\node_modules\zeromq\prebui...\electron.napi.node

Error: The specified module could not be found.

\\?\C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\node_modules\zeromq\prebui...\electron.napi.node

at process.func (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)

at process.func [as dlopen] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)

at Object.Module._extensions..node (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1016:18)

at Object.func (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)

at Object.func [as .node] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:18)

at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:816:32)

at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:728:14)

at Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:717:26)

at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:717:26)

at Function._load (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\main.js:2594:179)

at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:853:19)

at Module.require (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\main.js:2771:116)

at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:74:18)

at load (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\node-gyp-build\index.js:20:10)

at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar\node_modules\zeromq\lib\native.js:6:43)

at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:968:30)"

My options are "Ignore" and "Quit". If I ignore then Vortex's splash screen stays up but the program never loads. If I quit then the splash screen goes away.

Any Ideas?"

I kept looking into the issue while hoping for some help from the community. I was able to track down my particular issue so I went to the Forums to post my findings

"Reinstall Vortex but turn off your AV program first, or, if you use Windows Defender, turn off "Controlled Folder Access"< Windows Defender is being very difficult for people with the newest version of Vortex and screwing up the installation of it, by blocking certain parts, and even deleting parts of it."

By the this time I had already resolved my issue and posted my findings saying,

"I got my Vortex to work after a lot of combing through the logs and crash reports.

In my case it seemed to be related to a graphics issue. From what I could gather the video card driver had become corrupted from either Vortex or a Mod I'm using.

(It was hard for me to be certain from the crash logs. There was some evidence that a Windows update [KB4560960, KB4561600, or KB2267602] may have contributed to the error but this was by far the smaller issue when compared to the other errors I was seeing.)

I tried to get Nvidia to update the driver but it would fail, erroneously saying something along the lines of "Invalid Driver".

I went over to DDU (Display Driver Uninstall) and completely cleared out the old driver.

(I did the Safe Mode version twice as they recommended.)

I reinstalled the graphics driver then reinstalled a slightly older version of Vortex (v1.2.16) and everything is working great.

Hope this helps someone."

Hope this helps.

We've seen errors like this from a small number of users since 1.2.12+ - it's pretty much always your local AV software "sabotaging" Vortex because it thinks it's a virus. Annoyingly a lot of them don't actually tell you when they do this.

We've seen errors like this from a small number of users since 1.2.12+ - it's pretty much always your local AV software "sabotaging" Vortex because it thinks it's a virus. Annoyingly a lot of them don't actually tell you when they do this.

If that were the case, why hasn't my AV done the same thing again? I could understand the AV not "sabotaging" it right away but its been several days and several AV scans later with no ill effect.

Also, why would that cause a graphics driver, which is completely out of the purview of my AV, get corrupted along with Vortex?

I'm not running anything beyond Windows Defender atm either, which is something I would like to believe your team would account for when writing Vortex.

I'm afraid it's nearly impossible to account for random chunks of the app being deleted by 3rd party software. I still have no idea why Windows Defender does this for some people but not others...

Well thanks for the replies. Here's hoping it either resolves itself or the cause becomes more apparent.