Turning an ESP into an ESM breaks the quests

th3overseer

I don't know how to explain this, but I have to try. So, in the current state of the mod on the nexus right now, you speak to Quest-giver NPC and his dialogue does the "setstage questname 10" thing and the quest starts, as it should be. The current public version is an ESM.

In the ESP version of the file I'm tweaking, same thing. I speak with the quesgiver, the quest starts.

But, when I take that ESP and convert it to back to an ESM and speak to the questgiver, the quest does not start. I tried giving him a brand new line that would also "setstage questname 10" and that also does nothing. I don't understand what's happening, and I don't know how to fix it. If none of you can make any sense of this, I can try and clarify to the best of my tech-incompetent ability, but at this point, I'm really close to giving up on remastering this horrible mod. If it's this fragile, it'd be best to just leave it alone.

Suggestion: Did you test using a "new game"? Have you tried toggling "ArchiveInvalidation"? (Mktavish swore it sometimes helped for unknowable mystic reasons.)

Wait a minute. You converted the ESM into an ESP in order to edit it? Why? Usually you convert an ESP into an ESM for editing because it references records in another "master" file. Did you "pick up" any new master files by accident or on purpose while it was an ESP? Did you by any chance try "Copying interior or exterior cells between plugins"? Otherwise, you might want to check over the "ESM and ESP Files" entry and "TIP When can you use an ESM only mod".

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

@Dubious,

According to the XEdit traning manual, G.E.C.K. will not allow a master file to be edited. That is the reason for doing a Master Restore with XEdit.

Relevant passage "As the GECK will not allow you to set a Master (ESM) as the Active file, the MRM(er) process is required in order for you to modify your plug-ins again after running Master Update Mode."

If this is not correct, then the manual needs to be changed.

I still have the original version of the mod before I turned it into an ESM. That conversion went fine, but as soon as I make any edits to the quest (relevant map marker is disabled until the quest starts, relevant door is locked until quest starts, etc) and then convert it into an ESM for testing, the quest breaks.

@M48A5: Aha! So THAT's why they say every ESM starts out as an ESP. (It's a GOOD day. Learned something new AND finally managed to get a long overdue haircut.)

@th3overseer: I haven't seen anything else that will help you in this circumstance. Hopefully someone experienced in the process (like madmongo) will jump in. (We are getting thin on experienced regular contributors.)

-Dubious-