You’re just a an unimportant piece of some game *Contains major spoile

suger88

Lol, didn´t even think about that! Now I got one more thing to complain about :laugh:

Yes, complain about realistic, and believable, character reaction instead of them making it some ego-stroking game where every NPC falls to their feet and worships you like a god for every single journal recovery mission.

god forbid Bethesda actually make the world realistic, but I guess that's the way it is with gamers nowadays, they need to be praised for every single misc task they do or else their pride gets damaged.

It is not realistic character behaviour that is exhibited by the NPC's throughout skyrim. I did not say that the NPCs should shower the Main Character with gold or praise or even acknoledge the Dovahkiin's achievements, that I must conceed is a good point (that no one actually new about Alduin) but that the choices offered have been blunted or stripped to make it more accessible to the larger audience. I never asked for "ego stroking"

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "ego-stroking", I hated it from the start, but that wasn´t the first thing on my mind when i wrote that, ofc. thats a real - too. I do hate that every npc that I meet has a need to talk to me. They practically throw quests at me, but I am unable to dodge...

Hate things like these too, the lack of choice:

Hey you there! Whom I have not met nor heard of, can you rescue my daughter?

Player: Wants to say: Go away, I do not want to help you! But the only answers you get are:

-Yes.

-Well, why not?

-Sure!

And the quest is automatically forced into your journal. Wether you want it or not.

It is not realistic character behaviour that is exhibited by the NPC's throughout skyrim. I did not say that the NPCs should shower the Main Character with gold or praise or even acknoledge the Dovahkiin's achievements, that I must conceed is a good point (that no one actually new about Alduin) but that the choices offered have been blunted or stripped to make it more accessible to the larger audience. I never asked for "ego stroking"

Except they provably haven't, nothing about the choices in Skyrim offers any more, or any less, reactive consequences then the same choices in Morrowind did.

The "ego-stroking", I hated it from the start, but that wasn´t the first thing on my mind when i wrote that, ofc. thats a real - too. I do hate that every npc that I meet has a need to talk to me. They practically throw quests at me, but I am unable to dodge...

Hate things like these too, the lack of choice:

Hey you there! Whom I have not met nor heard of, can you rescue my daughter?

Player: Wants to say: Go away, I do not want to help you! But the only answers you get are:

-Yes.

-Well, why not?

-Sure!

And the quest is automatically forced into your journal. Wether you want it or not.

Yet another rampant, and easily disprovable, fallacy people like to try to push as fact.

There is not a single quest, or misc objective, that you cannot say no to. I know, because Ive done every single quest in the game, and recall all the no options

Furthermore, that it appears in your logic does not mean it is forced upon you. A forced quest is one you HAVE to do, if you like it or not, and you dont HAVE to do jack squat anything tells you in Skyrim.

Your OCD of needing your quest log clean is not a sign that Bethesda forced anything on you, it's a sign you have an OCD. Don't blame Bethesda for your own mental quirks.

A journal is something that you write down interesting that's that you see or hear in the game world, which would include people needing help. that it appears in your journal is because it logically should, but just because you hear about something, and write it down in your journal, does not mean you have to act on it, nor does it mean it was forced upon you.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

Actually, you also get the dialogue option:

"Ignores the plea for help"

by making use of the TAB button when speakin' to NPCs.

But anyway!

The bad news is that Skyrim is pretty flat. The good news is that we have the CK. The bad news is that the CK is awful. Even worse news, is that we actually need the CK to make Skyrim not flat.

Eh.

I personally enjoy the game because I make up my own story. I don't need to have the game make it impossible for me to join the Companion's if I'm part of the Dark Brotherhood. Because if this was real life, there would be nothing stopping me from worming my way into their ranks anyway. So the choice falls into the players lap. I choose a play style, and stick to it. If you're running off joining every faction, completing every quest, regardless of what you wanted your character to be, you're just ruining it for yourself.

I do agree however, that certain NPC reactions should be varied depending on certain choices you make. For example, if you're an Imperial, then you should be attacked on sight by Stormcloaks out in the wild. And vice versa.

But even then, there aren't many situations like the Imperial/Stormcloak factions provide. If you're a member of the DB or the TG, then nobody should be giving you a reaction, because you're part of a SECRET faction. Nobody should be any the wiser. What self respecting thief let's everyone know he's a thief? Then there's Vampire's. Well, you are attacked at progressive stages. Werewolf? How would anybody know you're a werewolf?

The biggest issue is definitely the racism that's missing, and I would love to see that affect stores you could visit, and NPC's that would get along with you that are outside your faction.

Most of the people who are "bored" can, in my opinion, blame their boredom on their lack of creativity and own self need to do EVERYTHING on one playthrough.

Loads of new posts, thank you guys! I feel like I somehow succeeded on creating some debate on the issues I mentioned, which was pretty much what I wanted in the first place. Also, I’m very satisfied with the variety of answers this post has gathered so far – some agree on some notions, while others disagree completely, and I’ve learned some new and important things. Also, I noticed how some of you feel like I exaggerated on some issues, and I have to admit that I did; I mean, of course I did, this thread was written out of frustration and an escalating feeling that nothing that I had achieved actually mattered. How could I not exaggerate?

Now, even though I agree on many of the things you guys have brought up, there are still a lot of things I wish were quite different. So the world didn’t really know it was in danger… oh, okay, cool, but it should have been possible to use/abuse your status as the Dovahkiin nonetheless – if you wanted to go on with something like a “f*** this s***, I am the Dragonborn, OBEY ME, infidels”-behaviour, then it should be possible. The same goes for when you've become the leader of all these different groups (Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood etc.). When you've finished the quest lines of these groups, the members are ought to start and talk differently to you and act toward you as if you were their leader. All those contracts from the Night Mother, well, let's just say you should have been able to send another assassin out, not just yourself. And the guys down at the Guild Cictern should have had more to say once the Thieves Guild quest line was done - some of them are just like all the other NPCs, they seem to have no idea whatsoever it's all over. And also, nothing we’ve said so far explains why the world of Skyrim seems totally oblivious to everything that’s going on just before their noses. “Oh, the civil war ended? Really? Well, in that case, I’m just gonna continue to stand here and talk and act as if the war was still up. Hey, does that make sense?” - said pretty much every NPC in the entire game.

All those go-fetch-some-random-item-quests should have had more of an impact, as well, and I really can’t see why everyone can’t agree on that point. I mean, all you ever do is go into some ancient tombs, fight some undead, and then fetch some lore items that the owners never really seemed to miss, anyway. And regardless if you do find them or not, it doesn’t matter at all. Whether that random NPC is reunited with his or hers beloved item, it makes no difference at all, expect that they might start calling you “friend”.

However, the mod I mentioned which makes guards talk differently really made a difference, and that made it all a little better. That being said, it’s still annoying as hell that the world seems so static. For example, in the game’s start, the Jarls don’t seem to give a s*** about the dragon attacks. “No, we’re just gonna sit around and wait for you to deal with it.” But that is really jsut a question of behaviour and tone of speaking. Some people have nerves of steel, I suppose. But it’s just weird… Now, anyway...

There is not a single quest, or misc objective, that you cannot say no to. I know, because Ive done every single quest in the game, and recall all the no options

Furthermore, that it appears in your logic does not mean it is forced upon you. A forced quest is one you HAVE to do, if you like it or not, and you dont HAVE to do jack squat anything tells you in Skyrim.

Your OCD of needing your quest log clean is not a sign that Bethesda forced anything on you, it's a sign you have an OCD. Don't blame Bethesda for your own mental quirks.

A journal is something that you write down interesting that's that you see or hear in the game world, which would include people needing help. that it appears in your journal is because it logically should, but just because you hear about something, and write it down in your journal, does not mean you have to act on it, nor does it mean it was forced upon you.

I respect your opinion but I came here to discuss what I think is bad about the game. Which I am sure that we have done. And that is what we should do. Why talk about disorders? What does that have to do with what is relevant to this thread?

If I wish to have my Journal clean, does not mean that I have an OCD.

Of course I could use TAB, but I would like to have a conversation option of saying "No" instead of just leaving. And who else should I blame if not Bethesda? The feeling I have gotten recently is that they hope that the modders will fix the things they won´t. They probably have deadlines and such but as thorough as they have been in the past, it feels like they are getting sloppy, or perhaps even lazy.

You cannot say no to the main quest, you are the Dragonborn in the game wether you want it or not. You can ignore it, but you cannot say no to it. But you are right in that I do not HAVE to do it.

Edited by Niborino9409

I do the Special Jobs and can't help but think that the number required to unlock a particular hold should be random, and once you got near that number Vex/Delvin would start steering jobs to that hold so you could unlock it. Seems that the eyes and ears of the Guild and the braintrust would want to re-establish a base in a hold as soon as it could.

I do 4 jobs in Markarth, it might be another 30 before I get offered another Markarth job even knowing that 5 is the magic number to unlock that Reputation Job.

They (Vex/Delvin) seem to know exactly what it takes to rebuild the Guild, yet have no idea what you've done in a hold or how close you are to "breaking through"?

Also, instead of having to ask to get a job once you've unlocked all the holds as a member you should be periodically given jobs automatically. Your duty as an active member to keeping the Guild presence active throughout Skyrim so it never again falls into ruin.

Edited by fraquar

I was disappointed in teh interactions between the DB and the NPCs as well. I mean you become Thane of a city and I think you might have some acknowledgement of the deed, but regular folks, nothing. You're Thane of the city, people should know that!

I'm just going to go throw this out there and get it over with. In terms of story and presentation of said story, Skyrim is easily the worst Elder Scrolls to date in recent years. Nothing you do in the game has any real significance, you have virtually no choices, and what few choices you do have in fact end in more or less the same fashion. You're given no closure whatsoever, and your effect on the landscape of Skyrim is virtually undetectable. In other words, the PC is irrelevant.

This is a clear STEP BACK from Fallout 3, where your choices certainly do have an impact. In Oblivion as well your actions had some impact, when you completed the main quest you were made champion of Cyrodiil. You even have a statue of your likeness in Bruma after you achieve victory there. Moreover in Oblivion you actually felt like you'd achieved something after becoming the head of your respective guild, as Oblivion was decently paced instead of rushed like Skyrim.

Maybe if Bethesda had some decent writers, or hired Obsidian to handle its presentation Skyrim wouldn't be the shallow experience it is. :pinch: