File Location Guidance

CaptainGinns

There is probably a guide somewhere. But After I unzip a .rar file, it has a lot of folders which are there. Is there a guide that shows me where to put the file. I'll pick and example just for the purpose of explaining.

This example graphic shows two zip files which unzipped a series of folders. In general where to they go. Hopefully there is a guide or a post somewhere I can go to. I tried searching and came up empty. Maybe I didn't ask the question the correct way. anyway, I would appreciate guidance.

Thanks

Ivan

Well, in this case you have a little help provided by the author of the mod.

See that fomod folder in your list of folders? . . Good.

That means all you need do is point your mod manager to the zip or rar file you grabbed. Once the manager has loaded the mod into your list of available mods, activate said mod and the installer script in the fomod folder will run and you'll need to pay attention to what that installer is telling you. This is extremely, I repeat extremely important. If all goes well, the mod will be installed how you need and Fallout 4 will run it correctly. If you need to change some thing, right click on the mod in your manager and run the install script again.

I would advise consult the mod authors page to see exactly what the mod is supposed to do and any conflicts they know of or other needed mods this one depends on.

Now with the easy stuff out of the way, I'm going to get a little technical here, so fair warning.

If for whatever reason you want to manually install the mod, than that script file I mentioned is going to be very helpful as well as having the data section of Fallout 4 open with a tree view beside it (failing that writing things down is good as you will need a map of what is where in Fallout 4, which will take you a bit).

That script file in the fomod folder is a text document, so any text editor will do, but if you've seen any programming code or an xml file than what is in there will not seem so strange once you can read it. That script file has all the dialogue options and the folders they are connected to, so once you decide which options you want, you will need to move the appropriate sections pieces into their correct place in Fallout 4. The esp file of course goes in that main data directory (that was in your first screenshot on the upper right).

If you need help with where each section is or does in Fallout 4, there are guides for that. If you are looking to make a mod of this mod, then taking a look at that fomod script file can be a great way to learn about it, as if is there is a packager/tutorial for that, I'm not sure as some of this is decended from Skyrim or something a little further back.

End Technical stuff.

Hope all this helps.

Edited by bbiller

Thank you pepperman35. This is really good. I'm a wannabe Geek, so I'm going to jump into the manual way of doing it and see what happens. I did, of course, make a backup on Steam and on my hard drive just in case the thing starts smoking. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, than you very much for the quick response and taking the time to write some words instead of...just put it here. I always appreciate the more the more information the better.

:happy:

Keep in mind, that if there is an install script (FOMOD folder) there are likely a number of possible choices as to which files actually get installed. Usually, there is a readme file with the mod, with will detail this, either that, or the mod description on the mods Nexus page should have it. If neither exists, you really should use a tool to install those..... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I want to than pepperman35 before I forget. I did try to do it alone: but that didn't work. So I downloaded the MDM and learned easily how the files are enabled and set in their proper folders. That was fun of course. And to you and HeyYou, yes, I am now using Vortex and learning everyday how to put in my mods. I have a few simple ones (no brainers) and learning through those. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for steering me in the right direction.

Ivan

Six, two and even, over and out.