Naked Bandits

beebophuckleberry

Once in a while, it's rare, but I'll come across a naked bandit. They have gear when I loot their corpse, but they aren't wearing it.

I assumed this was a mod issue, but I found plenty of threads that reported this in vanilla too. More commonly it seems to be nude couriers but I've yet to see one of those. I only see nude bandits.

However, I read somewhere in a thread found on Google that waiting 30 in-game days will reset all the cells and should fix any nude NPC's. <----Is there any truth to this? Is there any downside of waiting 30 days as far as gameplay and lore are concerned?

As a alternative, I've been opening the console, selecting the nude NPC, then typing 'resetinventory' which seems to work well... but it would be nice to solve the problem because opening the console to fix a nude NPC is a great way of breaking immersion :)

I appreciate any and all input or advice. Thanks!

For future Googlers who may have this issue, I 'think' I fixed it by doing two things;

1. I removed many 4k textures and swapped them for 2k textures. This brought my VRAM usage to 7.0GB which is down from 7.8GB (on a 8GB GPU). I suspect the high VRAM usage may have caused some items to not appear immediately. For example; Alvor would hammer on the workbench but the hammer was invisible. Farmers would sometimes till the earth but the hoe wouldn't appear. Giants would carry clubs over their shoulders but you couldn't see the club. Since I lowered the VRAM usage I haven't seen invisible objects (play on words in that last sentence ;) lol ).

2. When starting a new game I load all my mods in the Alternate Start prison and some later in my player home after all the introduction scripts have finished. After all mods are successfully loaded I make a save, then reload the game so that it starts with all mods already configured, make a new save, reload again, when game loads (remember that this is the first time the game has loaded with all mods already installed and already configured) I use the wait feature to skip forward 30 days in game. After 30 days have past all cells reset. This should make all naked NPC's refer back to their inventory so they actually use the clothes. I suspect what was happening was I loaded mods that change clothing and the NPC's hadn't 'adjusted' to the new clothes yet. But, after 30 days the clothes will be on the NPC.

I have no way of knowing that this officially solved missing clothes and invisible items, but so far it seems to be working. Best of luck to future Googlers.

• 4 months later...

For me its not just bandits, right after I get out of helgen (before that, none of this happens), any non unique (as in characters who share the same names like bandits for example) are all naked, even spawning one NPC or bandit out of console commands always end up naked too, I'm trying to fix it right now with your methods.