Please stop begging for money

Armathyx

What matters is that we can all agree having invasive premium advertisements all over the place makes this website feel like one of those shady indian websites from which you'd torrent Sony Vegas or the Adobe Suite. It wasn't this way back in the early 10's and it still ran, so the whole "but the website needs money to run" argument is mediocre at best.

Back on May 1st, 2012, Nexus Mods had only 3,764,120 members. Today, Nexus Mods has 21,801,730 members. That's roughly an increase of about 2.2 million users per year, every year, for 8 years. And all those users are downloading mods, which takes up bandwidth, and that bandwidth costs a huge amount of money, as outlined on the Expenses page.

In other words: the website needs money to run. And if you don't like how it is being run, then offer some constructive criticism. How would you go about making money to run Nexus Mods? What would you, as a user, change to make the site better? How would you improve Premium service so that more people buy in and actually support the site?

Well fair enough, I would say tax a reasonable amount from mod donations. And encourage modders to make paid versions of their mods, in order to supply more tax income. That way when you pay for the website you actually get something of value in return, modders get rewarded, and the website gets the money it needs.

In my opinion paying for the removal of ads doesn't bring you anything of real value. Instead it's a nuisance that you pay not to have. It's like paying a thug not to break your car's windows every day (see broken window fallacy). The website was made worse than it used to be, and now you have to pay for what you'd otherwise get by default just a few years back.

To be fair I'm sure some people here could come up with other ideas that are also better.

@Armathyx; Asking to, offering to, or requiring "pay for mods" is the surest way to get the Nexus (and any similar sites) shut down by the game publishers. They only tolerate the use and modification of their (copyrighted) IP as long as it's strictly non-commercial.

As soon as real money were to be directly involved for the mods themselves, "Cease and desist" letters would follow. :laugh:

(See also the Nexus TaP for our "No Soliciting" statement.)

The reason I used a 1 forum post 2017 account to make this thread was specifically for anonymity. Frankly this is why our stats should be hidden, that way we can actually focus on the topic at hand and not derail into these defensive ass "but your account this" accusations that bring nothing to the table.

So, you're saying you have MORE THAN ONE ACCOUNT then.

What matters is that we can all agree having invasive premium advertisements all over the place makes this website feel like one of those shady indian websites from which you'd torrent Sony Vegas or the Adobe Suite.

Heard this one before from plenty of other whiners just like you. Here's the thing. The advertising is not invasive in any way, and trying to characterize the site as a shady piracy site like Mega is pure BS.

It wasn't this way back in the early 10's and it still ran, so the whole "but the website needs money to run" argument is mediocre at best.

The site was also a fraction of the size in both membership and available mods and was thus nowhere near as expensive to run as it is now.

Also,

It might have something to do with them actually providing what their advertising says it does.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8824178-slow-download-speed-premium/

And? People with crap internet or bad routing will ALWAYS have those problems. That doesn't prove that Nexus is making false claims in their advertising.

whiners just like you.

Never seen anything good come out of the mouth of someone making "people like you" statements or such variants. This discussion is all fun and games but I'm not going to bother reading anything past that if you're going to keep showing disrespect.

@Armathyx; Asking to, offering to, or requiring "pay for mods" is the surest way to get the Nexus (and any similar sites) shut down by the game publishers. They only tolerate the use and modification of their (copyrighted) IP as long as it's strictly non-commercial.

As soon as real money were to be directly involved for the mods themselves, "Cease and desist" letters would follow. :laugh:

(See also the Nexus TaP for our "No Soliciting" statement.)

Have you had cease and desist letters over the donations? People put those on their mod pages.

And by the way I think offering faster download speeds is fine (although deliberately making non-premium download speeds excessively slow is not). My point is there having to be something of value in return for the premium rather than the site being devalued in order to "force" people into buying it.

And by the way I think offering faster download speeds is fine (although deliberately making non-premium download speeds excessively slow is not). My point is there having to be something of value in return for the premium rather than the site being devalued in order to "force" people into buying it.

Good job we don't do that then :smile: In October 2018, we actually doubled the download speed for non-Premium users. I'm not sure if it's something you'll be able to understand, but we are charged using a model known as the "95th percentile method". This means we're not charged by our hosting providers by how much data we push through to users, but by how fast they are able to download. Simply put, the only way the site survives so that the majority of the userbase can use it for free is through the speed caps, memberships and advertising.

Here are some help articles where you can do yourself an educate:

https://help.nexusmods.com/article/94-why-does-nexus-mods-use-advertising

https://help.nexusmods.com/article/96-download-speed-caps-adblockers-and-different-types-of-membership

Frankly, the way you are arguing just makes you look selfish and immature. If you can't understand why the things you're complaining about exist after reading this, I give up. There is one final help article you may need though, seeing as you think this is such a terrible place.

https://help.nexusmods.com/article/25-how-do-i-delete-my-account

@armathyx There is a huge difference between accepting donations or patronage in thanks for already created works which are openly available to the public for no cost implied or expressed and actually SELLING content made with Bethesda's proprietary software using their copyrighted IP. Making things available only through a pay gateway to those people who have paid something is against TOS of the publisher. Accepting a cup of coffee or lunch on someone who loves the work you do is just someone being nice and encouraging you to continue your efforts. Now if you offered exclusive content in exchange for those donations, you'd be back in sticky paid mod territory.

TLDR; you are wrong from a legal/TOS position.

@armathyx There is a huge difference between accepting donations or patronage in thanks for already created works which are openly available to the public for no cost implied or expressed and actually SELLING content made with Bethesda's proprietary software using their copyrighted IP. Making things available only through a pay gateway to those people who have paid something is against TOS of the publisher. Accepting a cup of coffee or lunch on someone who loves the work you do is just someone being nice and encouraging you to continue your efforts. Now if you offered exclusive content in exchange for those donations, you'd be back in sticky paid mod territory.

TLDR; you are wrong from a legal/TOS position.

Then you tax the donations.