Mods reload/reset everytime I reload a save...

JimmyTheDinosaur

Hey guys,

So I've recently started playing with Vortex, I'm not new the modding scene but I am very new to Vortex. I've used NMM in the past, however.

I've got all the mods I'd like installed and I'm happy with the stability of the game as a whole apart from one extremely annoying issue.

Everytime I reload a save, the mods seem to reset themselves and act as if they have just been installed. I get the prompts come up saying stuff like "Thanks for installing such and such!" and all of my modded items dissapear on my character. It's really frustrating. This only happens when I reload a save, however. I've tried multiple saves and I've sorted my load order, cleaned my DLC and fallout4 with LOOT.

Any ideas? I'd post my load order but I'm not sure how you export that in Vortex. Let me know if it's needed.

EDIT: This is Fallout 4, with DLC. Sorry for not clarifying.

Edited by JimmyTheDinosaur

Not sure which game you're playing. nvm, you're playing fallout. I missed that. I play Skyrim SSE.

The way I understand it, save-files save not only the player's current level, etc etc, but also ***the mod parameters as known at the time of the save operation***

What that means is that if you load a game save which was created before a given mod or mods are/were installed, the game will once again go through any required "in game" process of initializing that /those mod/s into the game's MCM, etc., since it all it knows is that it didn't have this/that mods before.

To be clear, it's not "the game" it's "the save" (in my experience, at least in the majority of cases).

edit: So, if you want to avoid that stuff, once you've opened some older save file that triggers this behavior, once the game has done its thing and set up the mod(s), save the file again, and it will now be accessible without having to go through whatever initialization you're seeing. (or it should, anyway)

Not sure which game you're playing. I play Skyrim SSE.

Save files save not only the player's current level, etc etc, but also the mod parameters ***as known at the time of the save operation***

What that means is that if you load a game save which was created before a given mod or mods are/were installed, the game will once again go through any required "in game" process of initializing that /those mod/s into the game's MCM, etc.

Sorry, edited post to add in - Fallout 4.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. This is a brand new save game with the mods, I play for a while - Eventually die and when reloading the save, all the mods do the weird reload thing. I don't alter the mods, load order or anything during this time.

ok..next time. open the brand new save game. Do nothing until the mods initialize. If necessary, cower somewhere until it has finished initializing (in case standing around will get you killed). Once initialized, create a new save with whatever facility the game offers (I presume that like Skyrim, you can manually create a save in Fallout?). Load the newly created, pre-initialized save. You should now be able to do whatever and if you die, load the new save and all should be well with the world (I think)

best wishes