GPU Usage way higher than normal

NikoofDeath

When I last played the game (early april), I would get 45-60fps in the open world when using enb effects, and easily get 60fps (besides some stuttering) when not using enb effects, with like 25% gpu usage. Yesterday, I updated all my mods and tried to get back into playing, only to find that my GPU was getting hit way harder. In the open world it now struggles to hit 30fps with enb effects, and still hits 60 with enb effects off, but has 70-85% gpu usage. I've tried getting rid of ENB, disabling all graphical modifications, reverting to my previous mod setup, and rolling back my drivers to ones from march. The only other change that I can think of possibly causing this would be the Windows 10 2004 update, has anyone had similar issues?

Specs:

Intel i5 3570k

AMD RX 580 8GB

24GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

First thought that comes to mind is: you've been infected. Run multiple virus scans using different "online scan" products as well as your usual. ("Bitcoin miners" like to use your graphics card.)

But it is possible that the Win10 update has introduced a problem where you need a video driver update. Check with the vendor of your RX580 board.

-Dubious-

First thought that comes to mind is: you've been infected. Run multiple virus scans using different "online scan" products as well as your usual. ("Bitcoin miners" like to use your graphics card.)

But it is possible that the Win10 update has introduced a problem where you need a video driver update. Check with the vendor of your RX580 board.

-Dubious-

Don't think it's a bitcoin miner or the like - FNV is the only game I'm noticing the increased GPU usage on, every other game I've played runs about the same as it used to.

As for the video drivers, I'm using the latest AMD drivers, which introduced support for the new Win10 update.

Assuming the video driver update is not the issue (nobody makes a mistake with those or drops support for older games, right?) then it must be related to one or more of your "updated" mods (not necessarily just graphic ones). Start with any that have "improved" or "hi-rez" graphics. Check for updated "pre-requisites" such as updated VC++ library (as required by the new NVSE v5.1b6). I know you said you tried getting rid of ENB and disabling all graphical mods, but that is not the same as "uninstalling" them. You might want to try (if you have sufficient free disk space) renaming your current game folder, re-installing FNV and checking if a "new" vanilla game has the same issue.

On the off-chance, did you update a "VWD/LOD" mod? If you add (or remove) any VWD/LOD textures (such as NMC, Vurt's WFO, or Ojo Bueno), please see the 'Checklist Item #15 & 16' entries in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide regarding the need to run both TES4LL and FNVLODGen; or xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL. Also recommend you read the 'LOD/VWD Texture Packs' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article first.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Assuming the video driver update is not the issue (nobody makes a mistake with those or drops support for older games, right?) then it must be related to one or more of your "updated" mods (not necessarily just graphic ones). Start with any that have "improved" or "hi-rez" graphics. Check for updated "pre-requisites" such as updated VC++ library (as required by the new NVSE v5.1b6). I know you said you tried getting rid of ENB and disabling all graphical mods, but that is not the same as "uninstalling" them. You might want to try (if you have sufficient free disk space) renaming your current game folder, re-installing FNV and checking if a "new" vanilla game has the same issue.

On the off-chance, did you update a "VWD/LOD" mod? If you add (or remove) any VWD/LOD textures (such as NMC, Vurt's WFO, or Ojo Bueno), please see the 'Checklist Item #15 & 16' entries in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide regarding the need to run both TES4LL and FNVLODGen; or xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL. Also recommend you read the 'LOD/VWD Texture Packs' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article first.

-Dubious-

I updated Vurt's WFO, but I also regenerated my LOD files. Also, when I say I disabled mods, I don't mean in the load order, I mean in Mod Organizer. And I tried disabling every new/updated mod, which made no difference.

I also tried running a completely vanilla setup, obviously the performance was slightly improved, but it was still much worse than normal (with ENB I was maxing out at around 45fps, when before I could easily get 60fps when I was using enb with a pure vanilla game)

Edited by NikoofDeath

Yet this only occurs with FNV and not any other games? Normally when people say they haven't played for a while and then encounter problems without having changed anything, it's because of a system update in the meantime. But I would expect a graphics wide change to manifest in other games as well. Though I suppose it is possible the change might only affect a really old one like this. But reverting back to an older driver should reflect that.

Afraid I am out of suggestions other than the possibility the issue lies with ENB itself. Last I knew, the author did not support Win10 and had no plans to do so.

Though I have to say 45FPS is eminently playable, even if not what you are used to. Getting hung up on the FPS numbers can really kill the fun. But I will be interested to hear if you figure out a solution.

-Dubious-