FNIS running even when not necessary

HomerSlated

FNIS is running on every deployment, even when no animation mods have been added or removed.

I checked the logs, and Vortex thinks the checksums for animations are different after every deployment, even though nothing pertaining to animations should have changed, and AFAICT nothing is interfering with those files externally, other than FNIS.

See the attached logs, where v1 is Vortex removing a mod that contains only textures and no animations, and v2 is Vortex installing that same mod immediately afterwards, with no other activities in between, either in Vortex or external apps.

My gut feeling is either the checksums are not being calculated correctly, or FNIS is changing already deployed files even when it's not necessary, and so the checksums are different each time.

I noticed that as well. The odd thing (for me) is that unlike previous Vortex versions, it rarely if ever even (literally) opens FNIS, (appears to handle it all in the background) even if I'm installing an animation pack.

I noticed that as well. The odd thing (for me) is that unlike previous Vortex versions, it rarely if ever even (literally) opens FNIS, (appears to handle it all in the background) even if I'm installing an animation pack.

There use to be a config file: data\FNIS.ini, where you could add "InstantExecute=1" to make FNIS run and exit non-interactively.

I assume this has now been subsumed into Vortex, as I no longer have that file, and yet the behaviour is the same as before.

Settings -> Interface -> Run FNIS on Deployment

You can turn it off there.

I can live with FNIS either running or not running on every deployment either way, but clearly this feature is no longer working as intended, and I'd rather fix it than disable it.

Fixed in commit 4d7138f.

Basically Vortex was reading files too quickly (a common problem with multithreading), and so as I suspected the checksums were not being calculated correctly.

The fix is simply a sanity check to make sure that files have actually been read before their checksum is calculated, and if not then to try again.