A Question about NMM: Mods vs, Plugin tabs?

steamwhistler

Hi, I'm pretty new to playing Skyrim on PC and this is my first post here. I've been downloading and using lots of mods from this site, but I had trouble getting NMM to run for me, so up until now I've installed all my mods manually. I'm starting to get kind of nervous though, because there seems to be an attitude on this site that if you're installing manually, you better damn well be a pro and not have the audacity to ask how to uninstall without the mod manager. Anyway, I finally got NMM working tonight, and it lists all the mods I have so far under the plugins tab. I tried downloading a new mod with the manager and it shows up in the mods tab.

So my questions are as follows:

* What's the difference between the mods and plugins tab? Should everything be in one tab or the other? Is there a way to move the stuff? Basically right now I have no idea how the program works so I'm trying to figure out what's going on here.

* Will I ever be able to uninstall and/or otherwise manage the mods using NMM that I originally installed manually?

* Basically...what else should I know?

Appreciate any replies.

Edited by steamwhistler

'NMM mods' are those zip folders that are present in its mods folder, located in whichever drive you installed it to under, e.g. D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods.

The plugins tab lists your load order, including any .esms and .esps that you installed manually. A mod generally means anything that changes the vanilla game, whether it be textures, sounds, music, animations, armours, weapons, overhauls, etc. A mod can have no, one or multiple .esps (those ones are usually modular - you choose which ones you want to use and discard/turn off the rest).

A mod that does not have an .esp or .esm will have its files loaded after the main Skyrim files, but before plugins.

If you still have the zip folder of a manually installed mod you can add it to the NMM's mod folder by opening NMM and clicking the add mod button on the left-hand side, which will label it 'more correctly' than it would if you simply copy & pasted it over, but sometimes not as 'correctly' as if you downloaded it via NMM - strange I know, but that's how it works.

Edited by Cait833