Fallout 4 frame drops and other problems

ELIT3SD

NOTE: Please read it thoroughly to avoid confusion. Also, bare in mind, English is my 2nd language and I tend to improve here and there as this is my first time doing this, so expect some errors. Feel free to correct me.

Before I begin, I just want to let you know that I don't have a monstrous PC as I'm enjoying playing on my big bro's 4 years old gaming laptop that's on par performance to run this game around 30-60 fps but I capped it to 30fps to eliminate stuttering performance. Just some details on the laptop rig and also graphics settings that I normally used (important for later):

Laptop Specs: Illegear Z5 2016 (Malaysian brand)

Intel i7-4720Q

GeForce GTX 970M

16GB RAM

Graphics Settings:

Resolution: 1366x768 60Hz

Anti-Aliasing: TAA

Anisotropic Filtering: 2 SAMPLES

Texture Quality: ULTRA

Shadow Quality: HIGH

Shadow Distance: MEDIUM

Decal Quality: NONE

Lighting Quality: MEDIUM

Godrays Quality: OFF (Forced via console)

Depth of Field: STANDARD (Low)

Ambient Occlusion: ENB Custom Settings

Weapon Debris: OFF

SSR: ON

Wetness: ON

Rain Occlusion: OFF

Motion Blur: OFF

Lens Flare: OFF

Object / Actor / Grass / Item Fade: Lowest

Distant Object Detail: LOW

Object Detail Fade: LOW

Bare in mind, I've normally been using these graphical settings and I mostly get stable capped frame rate of 30fps. Not to mention, I've used a couple of graphical improvements like Photorealistic ENB and Ultra Interior Lighting (which have potentially big impact on performance) and both gave stable frame rate on most exterior areas and interiors except, Corvega Assembly Plant where frame rate were heavily punished to 19-25 with ENB and 23-29 without ENB. Other interiors performance are dependent on the scale and detail of the building.

THE PROBLEM:

Since last night, I was building my settlement at Murkwater Construction Site, just the usual thing but all of the sudden the frame rate goes down drastically around 19-25 fps with ENB enabled. I thought it was just the game rarely acting up, so I decided to turn off ENB and continue and performance improved around 25-30 fps. I just continue to build for awhile before I decided to call it a night. That time I shrugged it off and thought that it would run fine again but turns out, the problem still persist. I've tried to find the cause of the problem. Setting the "Shadow Quality" to lowest seems to fix it but not the ideal solution I'm looking for. In the meantime, I've set it to medium just to for further problem detector. It could be the mods, so I disable any recent mods that I've installed. Frame still drops. (I've used Aloots Home Plate for performance test since it drops frames there as well)

Quit or minimize the game fixed it temporarily as it returns not a minute into the game. I've updated the graphics driver but that doesn't seem to work either.

Please help me with these problems.

Edited by ELIT3SD

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried going with your suggestion and it fixed the fps issues but it came back. But there's a catch...

After further investigation, it seems the fps problem also occurs for other games I've played. I've tried recent RE games I have and they ran into the similar problems, just like Fallout 4 did. They can run at solid 60 fps mostly but drops substantially and could barely hit above 30 fps. I have updated graphics drivers and such, tried any solution on Google to improve performance but the it keeps coming back hard on me, making me struggling any games.

I guess this persistent problems made me thinking about getting the latest Razer laptop because of mobility since I travel back and forth quite often but I digress.

Anyway, I'll just do other things in the meantime. Not worth my time for now.

Check startup programs. Maybe some updater is running in the background. Checking task scheduler wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Checked startup programs and only one updater running in the background and has been disabled.

But I had no idea how task scheduler works. Never use this before.

It always depends on the ingame time.

I also have areas where I can reach 60 FPS, but once the sun sets(not sure 7pm or 8 pm), my fps drop to 42. It's because of the lights and shadows.

In the windows 'Search' box, type in sched

Task scheduler should be one of the top results. Just look at the stuff on the main page of "Task Scheduler Library", in the left-hand column. Scheduled tasks will be in the right pane. See what all is in there, and if it actually needs to happen on the schedule that it set up. Adobe is notorious for having their updater check for updates like every 10 minutes or so, while you are logged in. That's just idiotic...... Most apps check for updates when you start them up in any event.... so, I generally kill any and all updaters in task scheduler. Don't worry about any of the other sections. Some of that stuff NEEDS to be in there, or windows gets offended. :D

• 2 weeks later...

In the windows 'Search' box, type in sched

Task scheduler should be one of the top results. Just look at the stuff on the main page of "Task Scheduler Library", in the left-hand column. Scheduled tasks will be in the right pane. See what all is in there, and if it actually needs to happen on the schedule that it set up. Adobe is notorious for having their updater check for updates like every 10 minutes or so, while you are logged in. That's just idiotic...... Most apps check for updates when you start them up in any event.... so, I generally kill any and all updaters in task scheduler. Don't worry about any of the other sections. Some of that stuff NEEDS to be in there, or windows gets offended. :D

I managed to got it covered during the week. So far only Adobe updaters that's been running and disabled them. I've also slightly reduced some graphical settings by tweaking the .ini settings to my taste and performance improved, no more unnecessary frame drops. Thanks for these suggestions.