sometimes i get a thing called "device currently in use" message when i want to pull out my hard drive...sometimes not...

i was wondering if restarting the computer while the hard drive is in there effects the hard drive in any way that is bad like any deletion stuff.

also i researched a video answer and it did not work as i thought.

so i guess my real question is:if i restart my computer and it no longer shows the device is ready to be removed thingy for the hard drive...well, sometimes when i restart and try to pull the hard drive the right way by second clicking it and all that jazz to remove the hard drive properly...the hard drive sometimes disappear...

i am assuming the hard drive icon disappearing is a sign it was removed well and healthy like when i restart the computer and it kinda gives it's own initiative to just have the hard drive icon disappear altogether without a message sign...

anyways with all these things considered...is there anything i have to worry about by restarting my computer and what i just said the hard drive icon not being there in the first place once my windows 10 laptop restarts?...or when it's there(when restarts) but disappears on it's own without the safely remove hardware message while i try to get rid of it and safely removing the hard drive?...

any answers would be appreciated if i have nothing to worry about or not.

Is it a USB hard drive? or Considered a Removable USB drive?

Because I get that a lot on Windows 10, and I found that closing the Task Manager stops the "Device Currently In Use" message, of course, you might not keep your Task Manager open all the time, but I do, because I play a lot of Bethesda games, and keep it on my other monitor in order to shut down their game if it crashes and lock the main monitor screen.

Because I get that a lot on Windows 10, and I found that closing the Task Manager stops the "Device Currently In Use" message, of course, you might not keep your Task Manager open all the time, but I do, because I play a lot of Bethesda games, and keep it on my other monitor in order to shut down their game if it crashes and lock the main monitor screen.

so i think it's considered a removable hard drive.

like i get the message on kotor 1...i think less so on morrowind...so yeah, i guess it's old games on my desktop at the same time...that is the problem.

but i have a question. does restarting or shutting down the computer while the flash drive is still in...and let's say...then icon disappears by itself with no ready to move kinda message...perhaps is that something to worry about?...in terms of deletion without the ready to move message?...

like i get the message on kotor 1...i think less so on morrowind...so yeah, i guess it's old games on my desktop at the same time...that is the problem.

but i have a question. does restarting or shutting down the computer while the flash drive is still in...and let's say...then icon disappears by itself with no ready to move kinda message...perhaps is that something to worry about?...in terms of deletion without the ready to move message?...

That I'm not sure, but I remember tracking down the "Close the Task Manager to eliminate the "Device Currently In Use" problem.

How do you have games installed on a flash drive?

That I'm not sure, but I remember tracking down the "Close the Task Manager to eliminate the "Device Currently In Use" problem.

How do you have games installed on a flash drive?

so i have all my games stored in a flash drive...if i'm using that term right, flash drive. wherein i can just put it in a different computer and it just works right away. i'm gonna get more progress in kotor 1 and see if i get the problem and all...

i found a video of what you were trying to say...

standby...lol..

If the data has already been saved, then it will still be there. If you get an error when saving, that implies it didn't work, and that data won't be there. :) In all reality, USB is pretty forgiving. Flash drives you can just pull out, and windows will figure it out. So long as it isn't in the middle of some operation, it won't cause any harm. Now, a USB HDD is another matter altogether. Need to tell windows to clue in the drive that it is about to get shut down, so it can write anything still in the drives cache, to the platters.

If the data has already been saved, then it will still be there. If you get an error when saving, that implies it didn't work, and that data won't be there. :smile: In all reality, USB is pretty forgiving. Flash drives you can just pull out, and windows will figure it out. So long as it isn't in the middle of some operation, it won't cause any harm. Now, a USB HDD is another matter altogether. Need to tell windows to clue in the drive that it is about to get shut down, so it can write anything still in the drives cache, to the platters.

Thanks very much...i'll put this knowledge to good use...goodbye guys...good luck with yours too...

so i have all my games stored in a flash drive...if i'm using that term right, flash drive. wherein i can just put it in a different computer and it just works right away. i'm gonna get more progress in kotor 1 and see if i get the problem and all...

i found a video of what you were trying to say...

standby...lol..

Yes, but I don't understand how you're able to move entire games from computer to computer, since they usually add some Registry Entries when installed.

They're not "Portable", because some write data to the appdata folder, along with writing to the Documents, or Documents/My Games folder, you can't just zip up a Game's Install Folder and copy it to another Computer and it "Just Works"