AppDat may be a hidden by default folder ... can't say for certain as one of the first things I do when building and setting up a new machine is turn off all of Microsoft's idiot proofing.

I have no experience with Morrowind's file/folder structure as I've never installed it.

- Edit - I'm on Win 7 myself ... I will switch to Linux before I use Microsoft's phone/tablet OS (aka Win 10).

Edited by Striker879

AppDat may be a hidden by default folder ... can't say for certain as one of the first things I do when building and setting up a new machine is turn off all of Microsoft's idiot proofing.

I have no experience with Morrowind's file/folder structure as I've never installed it.

- Edit - I'm on Win 7 myself ... I will switch to Linux before I use Microsoft's phone/tablet OS (aka Win 10).

cool...awesome for you...it seems i'n getting windows 7 and you're getting windows 10...

good luck with it, it's a very good machine...

right now, i only have windows 10...if you like youtube, i think your quality is gonna be 1080 at least.

of course, rule of thumb if you don't already know...if you plan on playing old games, stick with windows 7...that's all i've heard so far all the time.

i guess i said that because i have a couple questions...

what rpg game with cheats do you recommend with my windows 7 desktop computer coming up?...i was thinking elder scrolls redguard...i can't wait to read all that dialogue...

i'm gonna get jedi knight, dark forces 2 and it's expansion pack, mysteries of the sith.

another reason why i'm asking...

i need and want only 3d games with fantastic gameplay and dialogue...lots of it...

oh yeah...one more lingering question...any 2d games with god mode on?...like fallout 2 or elder scrolls battlespire?...

gamer to gamer...just curious what those games are like if you have them. or any 3d games with god mode on it...i already have jedi outcast and jedi academy getting ready for my new desktop computer thing.

i'd appreciate any solutions...thank you.

that's what the beauty of video games...so big...so much of what yet to see...and then combos in them...

for me, there's so many games that are 3d and old and still beautiful including any 2d games too...

Edited by DrifterKane91

I'm a poor one to come to for advice on games. The list of "only a little bit old" games I'd recommend is very short ... Oblivion. Yup, that's the whole list.

Now if we want to talk ancient games there is Privateer (search for it here on Nexus, it's a port onto a new engine so there are minor differences to how the original was) or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (fun fact he was born in the town I've lived in for the last 40 some odd years). Privateer is much like Oblivion (open world RPG, you can play the missions and main quest or ignore them ... not much dialogue though). Alpha Centauri is turn based strategy.

You misunderstood what I meant about Win 10 ... I will never have a machine with Win 10 on it. If my only choice is one with Win 10 then I'll build a Linux machine.

I'm a poor one to come to for advice on games. The list of "only a little bit old" games I'd recommend is very short ... Oblivion. Yup, that's the whole list.

Now if we want to talk ancient games there is Privateer (search for it here on Nexus, it's a port onto a new engine so there are minor differences to how the original was) or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (fun fact he was born in the town I've lived in for the last 40 some odd years). Privateer is much like Oblivion (open world RPG, you can play the missions and main quest or ignore them ... not much dialogue though). Alpha Centauri is turn based strategy.

You misunderstood what I meant about Win 10 ... I will never have a machine with Win 10 on it. If my only choice is one with Win 10 then I'll build a Linux machine.

So is windows 7 more broadly better than windows 10 in general?...for video games?...or just old video games?...I am pretty sure this is the last question...if you don't know, you don't have to answer of course...

If I had my way I'd be using a 64bit version of WinXP, but all of the copies of XP that I have are 32bit. After installing and using Win 7 64bit I won't go back to XP 32bit but XP (i.e. before UAC and all that it "brings" to getting games and mods to work) was a good gaming OS. The perfect world would be WinXP 64bit but that's not to be so I've done my best learning how to neuter the parts of Win 7 that get in the way.

I've never used Win 10 for anything except some printing at the local library, but all of the troubles I've helped troubleshoot on here have a Win 10 thread running through them in the past few years. Nothing I've learned about Win 10 has had me saying "Ya, I'd like to try that out". As I said, just the opposite.

The only way I can think of, of having a 'portable' install of your games that require registry entries, is to actually install the game in the exact same Drive and Folder on each machine, for the sole purpose of creating the registry entry, (run the game once to create any directories in the Documents, or Documents/My Games, and appdata folders etc.
Then you could delete the game folder manually, which will leave theregistry entries and any folders created in Documnets or My Games, or appdata folder.

That way, you could theoretically, copy the game from the flash drive, to the drive you had it installed on, and it should work.

The only way I can think of, of having a 'portable' install of your games that require registry entries, is to actually install the game in the exact same Drive and Folder on each machine, for the sole purpose of creating the registry entry, (run the game once to create any directories in the Documents, or Documents/My Games, and appdata folders etc.

Then you could delete the game folder manually, which will leave theregistry entries and any folders created in Documnets or My Games, or appdata folder.

That way, you could theoretically, copy the game from the flash drive, to the drive you had it installed on, and it should work.

okay. i run by discs so i should be able to do that. yeah, yeah, i'll do that. i just hope...that my desktop windows 7 does exactly what you say as in my windows laptop 10. you know, for the registry keys?...thanks. i plan to make a mess of it outside my program files c folder.

Edited by DrifterKane91

If I had my way I'd be using a 64bit version of WinXP, but all of the copies of XP that I have are 32bit. After installing and using Win 7 64bit I won't go back to XP 32bit but XP (i.e. before UAC and all that it "brings" to getting games and mods to work) was a good gaming OS. The perfect world would be WinXP 64bit but that's not to be so I've done my best learning how to neuter the parts of Win 7 that get in the way.

I've never used Win 10 for anything except some printing at the local library, but all of the troubles I've helped troubleshoot on here have a Win 10 thread running through them in the past few years. Nothing I've learned about Win 10 has had me saying "Ya, I'd like to try that out". As I said, just the opposite.

I actually quite enjoy Windows 10. The UI is responsive and scales excellently to high res displays, it makes great use of m.2 SSDs, supports more memory than I can throw at it and has support for the latest gaming features. The workflow is decently sophisticated also even over 7. The window management allows for much quicker progress when dealing with several applications at once. I enjoyed xp thoroughly (my 2nd favourite Windows OS) and even used it a decent amount of time into the launch of windows 7 but looking back at it I couldn't imagine doing any real work with it (when I have to for legacy reasons it isn't great). Networking was pretty bad, under 4GB memory limit is crippling for anything dealing with modern productivity (though even seeing 4GB on an XP system was rare) and drivers were a nightmare. Windows 10 has its share of problems but when cleaned up it just feels like an upgrade over 7 to me at least.

Linux distributions are another good option if you're willing to put in the effort to get some games working! There is quite a accessible community for it these days and the support is excellent (as is the price!). As for the question on Morrowind/Oblivion saves, have you looked into running the Steam version by any chance? They can be picked up very cheap (like a few dollars on sale, which they currently are on) and probably support steam cloud for saves. That way you could keep the games on both your laptop and desktop or whatever and just upload/download your save files when you move between them.

That being said, retro-gaming PCs and VMs are always an option too. Especially since you don't necessarily need network connectivity so security concerns are largely irrelevant.

(Don't forget x64 extended end-of-life support ended about half a decade before 32 for xp, and the aren't really the same OS base either so there are quite a few issues with older applications on x64)

• 3 weeks later...

guys, guys, guys...i completely transferred my jade empire stuff to my other laptop stuff and it worked...

HadtoRegister...wouldn't this work with oblivion too then?...i don't remember registry keys on that game either...

Any help would be appreciated.

wait...are there registry keys to elder scrolls oblivion in the first place? I don't remember any...

Edited by DrifterKane91