wow, now i have 2 morrowinds under one laptop...and the wrye mash that i transferred only responds to my modded morrowind...lol...

seems i can't have a wrye mash for each morrowind. but in this vanilla morrowind, i don't have that many mods...i guess good luck to me...

now, please tell me oblivion will work the same way in my upcoming desktop computer...whew though for the most part.

these are definite good signs...

• 1 month later...

Having had the same problem and failed to find any solution on any of the responses that worked I have developed a simple way to stop it (and hopefully not wreck anything).

Go to "computer" in the start panel. Right click on the removable drive and select "eject". It gives you a warning but still gives you the option to proceed. If you continue you'll get the "safe to remove" message on the task bar like you would expect.

As with other people on various threads I'm computer savvy but not to the point where I want to fiddle around in various processes. This basic fault has been kicking around for a long time and I've now seen it in Windows 8 as well. I would have expected Microsoft to have sorted it by now. That was a bit optimitic!