Odylarian
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

Yes it's contributing.

Witcher 3 is a special case, because it needs the game to be on C:\, along with the Witcher Mod Staging Folder on C:\, because it also need to access the appdata, or some other folder in order to be able to pick Hardlink

If you go with Symlink (Although I heard tell that the Script Merger now works with SYmlinks) the merging won't work

YOu might want to try MOVE Method

AH MAN! That is ridiculous Witcher has to be on C. However, I played Witcher all the way through - finished it about 3-4 months ago - with the game and Mods on my D drive without any problems. I used WMM as my Mod manager back then. WMM doesn't give a s*** what drive anything is on. Maybe this is a Vortex issue with Witcher 3. Did Vortex have a weird upgrade that messed with how Witcher is handled that is causing this problem. Maybe I go back to WMM.

What is MOVE method?

Edited by Odylarian

Yes it's contributing.

Witcher 3 is a special case, because it needs the game to be on C:\, along with the Witcher Mod Staging Folder on C:\, because it also need to access the appdata, or some other folder in order to be able to pick Hardlink

If you go with Symlink (Although I heard tell that the Script Merger now works with SYmlinks) the merging won't work

AH MAN! That is ridiculous Witcher has to be on C. However, I played Witcher all the way through - finished it about 3-4 months ago - with the game and Mods on my D drive without any problems. I used WMM as my Mod manager back then. WMM doesn't give a s*** what drive anything is on. Maybe this is a Vortex issue with Witcher 3. Did Vortex have a weird upgrade that messed with how Witcher is handled that is causing this problem. Maybe I go back to WMM.

What is MOVE method?

In the Deployment setting, there's Symlink, Hardlink, and Move, which physically moves the files to the games mod directory.

Yes it's contributing.

What is MOVE method?

In the Deployment setting, there's Symlink, Hardlink, and Move, which physically moves the files to the games mod directory.

Thanks. Sorry about being such a noob about this, but could you elaborate a little more. You say, " . . . which physically moves the files to the games mod directory". What "files" are you referring to? If you are referring to my mod files, they are already in the games mod directory. Also, I do not have a MOVE deployment method. The only method that drops down is "symlink".

Yes it's contributing.

What is MOVE method?

Thanks. Sorry about being such a noob about this, but could you elaborate a little more. You say, " . . . which physically moves the files to the games mod directory". What "files" are you referring to? If you are referring to my mod files, they are already in the games mod directory. Also, I do not have a MOVE deployment method. The only method that drops down is "symlink".

MOVE does what it says it does, it MOVEs the extracted files from the mod Archive to the Game directory, instead of making a LINK to the Game Directory

Yes it's contributing.

What is MOVE method?

MOVE does what it says it does, it MOVEs the extracted files from the mod Archive to the Game directory, instead of making a LINK to the Game Directory

OK, Thank you. But like I said, I don't have a MOVE method. The only deployment method that is listed in the drop down is symlink. Maybe that is a glitch or bug that I need to report.

OK, Thank you. But like I said, I don't have a MOVE method. The only deployment method that is listed in the drop down is symlink. Maybe that is a glitch or bug that I need to report.

In the latest version of Vortex, Witcher 3 needs to be on the same drive as the "Documents" folder.

Edited by AugustaCalidia

In the latest version of Vortex, Witcher 3 needs to be on the same drive as the "Documents" folder.

Thank you Augusta. That is not good. There are reasons people have 2 drives. A smaller SSD for the OS and a larger HD for everything else. Any plans on changing Vortex to let Witcher behave like all other games.

We're very much aware of this issue. At the moment there isn't a solution. I know that a few ideas were being experimented with recently, but to support menu mods we need to add mod files to the My Documents folder, and to create a hardlink to that folder, it needs to be on the same HDD as the staging folder.

We're very much aware of this issue. At the moment there isn't a solution. I know that a few ideas were being experimented with recently, but to support menu mods we need to add mod files to the My Documents folder, and to create a hardlink to that folder, it needs to be on the same HDD as the staging folder.

Thank you Pickysaurus. I appreciate your advice. How does Witcher 3 work differently than say, Skyrim which also has many mods that add menus - MCU being the most well known. I don't remember this being an issue with Skyrim.

Here is another idea. Don't laugh - I'm a noob. Is it possible to "trick" Vortex into thinking the My Documents folder is on the same drive as the staging folder. Maybe something with the registry? Am I misunderstanding what is meant by Menu mods. I started playing Witcher 3 about 2 years ago and there were menu mods back then, the most famous being ESGO. I was using WMM as my mod manager but had no prob with menu mods.

Edited by Odylarian