Why do some mods "break" when you merge them?

Good day everybody!

I have a simple question that has been bothering me for a while now:

Why do some mods break when you try to merge them?

(Especially mods that add new custom weapons that have maybe custom "animations")

I know that this is a very non-specific question and there are probably lots of reasons that this could happen, but please, could anybody let me know here whtat those reasons could be?

Because as far as I know, it works like this:

(the xx is just the place in the load order, and I know that those IDs are 6 or 8 or whatever numbers long, this is just an example)

MOD 1 uses IDs from xx00000 to xx00020

MOD 2 uses IDs from xx00000 to xx00023

so the merged thing will be

xx00000 to xx00044

with MOD1 useing xx00000 to xx00020

and MOD 2 useing xx00021 to xx00044

So the mergeing basically "offsets" MOD2 and "adds" it "behind" MOD1 and of course "renumbers" all of the stuff from MOD2.

Or, that's how I would do it ...

If somebody knows how this actually works on the "low level", let me know here ...

That's basically it. Merging mods that have the same ID numbers excluding the first two will break or potentially will not work on mods that depend on them.

Most mod scripts require form id's to detect items. Like a script is "if player has (0000123) do this", that will break.

That's basically it. Merging mods that have the same ID numbers excluding the first two will break or potentially will not work on mods that depend on them.

Most mod scripts require form id's to detect items. Like a script is "if player has (0000123) do this", that will break.

Thanks for the very quick answer!

So it is not just a matter of "renmbering" the plugin file stuff, but the references that are in the scripts also have to be "renumbered".

I think I understand ....

And if a weapon mod has a patch for it, that patch esp will "look" for the "wrong IDs" and that will do some unpredictable things ...

So a weapon mod should be merged with its patches first and then that "Mod+Patch.esp" can be merged with other stuff ...

And all of the scripts should also be "remade" to use the "new IDs" ...

So basically a whole lot of work that can't really be automated (in a FO4Edit script, for example), right?