[LE] Are the image formats that cannot be converted into textures?

Hi! :geek:

I have been browsing through this forum but (at least I) didn't find a topic handling my question. Sorry if I just missed it and it was there.

Are there some rules to images that the Creation Kit just does not accept?

My example: I took a picture of a dandelion and uploaded it to Gimp. I resized it to be 512x512 and gave it a mosaic-like appearance. I created a normal map and mip maps for both and saved them compressed DXT5 (I suppose now that DXT1 would have been fine) as a .dds file. I put the file into Skyrim data/textures. Then, when it was time to upload the image to the Creation Kit texture-set, CK crashed.

Then I used Windows screencapture tool and took a picture of my picture. I saved that as a dds. file but CK crashed again. I tried a couple of times with both images just to make sure the crash wasn't an accident. Then I made a pattern in Gimp as a "new" file, made that into a mosaic and uploaded it. CK accepted that just fine.

So, no photos and no screencaptures?

Any properly made .dds file should be acceptable, it doesn't matter what the actual image is.

If there's a problem with the file the CK may make note of it in a file called EditorWarnings.txt (something like that) in the skyrim folder. If it does it might help you narrow down the issue.

Any properly made .dds file should be acceptable, it doesn't matter what the actual image is.

If there's a problem with the file the CK may make note of it in a file called EditorWarnings.txt (something like that) in the skyrim folder. If it does it might help you narrow down the issue.

Thank you. The problem was that the crash happened as soon as I had pressed the "load image" button. I don't know if CK would have had time to record any issues?

Well, I got it to work, finally, by merging all layers before uploading, because I read here somewhere it is what you're supposed to do. Merging all in Gimp throws away the alpha layer. I had previously merged everything I could see but apparently something was still there. Interesting if it was the alpha.

Well, now I learned that the log is also in the Skyrim files and not only on CK, which I didn'ty know before so thanks. :)