Custom Nif from nifskope Crashing in Fallout 4 Creation Kit when setting to Static Object

lyosea

So I've been delving into blender lately and created this nice little table with a bowl of cookies and a glass and a chair. I exported it to the skyrim Outfit Studio program then exported the nif into nifskope, added the textures to all surfaces and figured I'm all good and done. Only problem is when I go into creation kit and make a new static then put in the file location the whole creation kit crashes. In nifskope it looks fine apart from the plate and cup looking wonky. I've included a link to view the work i've done to try and see if there's anything I have to add or get rid of. I should say I didn't add a collision though.

https://www.dropbox....ir nif.rar?dl=0

As far as I know, you can't use the "Skyrim NIFs" with Fallout 4, because the version number is different.

I have no idea about Blender or OutfitStuido but maybe try the Outfit Studio version for Fallout 4?

Well the body slide I used actually was the fallout 4 version. Not sure why I put skyrim. But even when I follow the tutorial of the process from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8XOzvr43k&t=825s it still crashes the creation kit

But even when I follow the tutorial of the process from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8XOzvr43k&t=825s it still crashes the creation kit

This tut is full of errors. Best comment to this video: "great .. a tutorial to crashing the game" :devil:

Try this one: How to make custom weapons for Fallout 4 from scratch instead.

Edited by markusm1000

So I've been delving into blender lately and created this nice little table with a bowl of cookies and a glass and a chair. I exported it to the skyrim Outfit Studio program then exported the nif into nifskope, added the textures to all surfaces and figured I'm all good and done. Only problem is when I go into creation kit and make a new static then put in the file location the whole creation kit crashes. In nifskope it looks fine apart from the plate and cup looking wonky. I've included a link to view the work i've done to try and see if there's anything I have to add or get rid of. I should say I didn't add a collision though.

Hello lyosea,

In Outfit Studio, you need to go to property for the each mesh, and in the "Geometry" tab, you need to uncheck "Sub Index" and "Skinned" for static meshes.

When exporting .obj from blender, make sure you set the export setting to Y Forward and Z Up.

I just saw your table/chair set, and I think you have too many polygons for the legs for table, donut shape under the table, plate, glass, and cookies. Bethesda may use more detailed meshes for weapons, for example, but those objects are meant to be higher in poly count because of how much screen space they occupy in 1st person view. You might want to try test baking normal maps with lower poly count, and see how low you can go. In any case, I think you should have a look at Bethesda's own assets, because that should tell you what sort of assets the game engine is expecting. Your table/chair thingy has too many pieces.

Good luck with your project. :smile:

Just guessing here.

It could be that you have exported the nifs with a clothing/armor configuration.

In Outfit Studio, navigate to Shape > Properties, then the Geometry tab.

Make sure Sub-index and Skinned is ticked off before export (I guess the Full Precision is not need either).

These node types and flags are mostly handled by armor/clothing and may cause crashes when the nif is read by a static game object.

The data can be removed in NifScope too.

https://github.com/ousnius/BodySlide-and-Outfit-Studio/wiki/Shape-Properties

Or just use 3DSMAX 2013.

You bought 3ds max back in 2013 because you knew that FO4 would be released in 2015 and since then paid $ 2000 a year to keep the license up-to-date but without updating 3ds max because only the 2013 version works with FO4?

Back in the days there was a thing called "perpetual licence": Buy once and have it forever (the way everything should be).

So it wouldn't have been as costly as you think ...

But that's off-topic, sorry for bringing it up ...

:pirate:

Hello lyosea,

In Outfit Studio, you need to go to property for the each mesh, and in the "Geometry" tab, you need to uncheck "Sub Index" and "Skinned" for static meshes.

When exporting .obj from blender, make sure you set the export setting to Y Forward and Z Up.

I just saw your table/chair set, and I think you have too many polygons for the legs for table, donut shape under the table, plate, glass, and cookies. Bethesda may use more detailed meshes for weapons, for example, but those objects are meant to be higher in poly count because of how much screen space they occupy in 1st person view. You might want to try test baking normal maps with lower poly count, and see how low you can go. In any case, I think you should have a look at Bethesda's own assets, because that should tell you what sort of assets the game engine is expecting. Your table/chair thingy has too many pieces.

Good luck with your project. :smile:

Thank you for your response, I'll try that right away!