my mod has been scanned by tes4edit ... hmmm.

bobbyskel78

why do people keep posting in their mod details, that their mod has been cleaned w/ tes4edit ... i hope they do realize that's the equivalent of saying my computer has been scanned by virus scan xyz, which is totally dependent on it's library.

any who, i'm not knocking anyone's mod, it just foolish to depend on something that's only as good as it's brute force dictionary ... very few anti-virus progs capture realistic new viruses w/o being utterly intrusive on one's own productivity. it's so secure, i even can't get in!

perhaps i should start dogging individuals who post such ... that it's clean, spend a bit of time and find several flaws through the CS and just ask the obvious question ... i thought you said it was clean.

That's because there is a strong difference between a virus check and a tool to check for "identical to master" records or this other major mistake thing people keep accidentally putting into their mods occasionally "only".

"Clean" here doesn't mean it doesn't have any bugs. It's just "TES4Edit-cleaned" of the most obvious mistakes automated cleaning can actually remove 100%.

"Wild edits" are a thing of knowledge. No tool can tell you if you did it on purpose or in mistake. But "identical to master" records are a thing which shouldn't be (unless the plugin is meant to "revert" changes another plugin did back to Vanilla), thus a tool for 100% reliably detecting and removing them is not a bad thing. And really, how technically simple is it to check if a Vanilla record was touched but not changed in your plugin? This is impossible to detect wrong or to miss even one.

And people keep posting it on their mods, because back in the day it was all good practice to check, and occasionally clean, your plugins/master files before release, but later it became a "requirement" users got used to be looking for. You can't change the users' expectations anymore, so you can only play along and post these things. For better or worse.

Sometimes the cleaning info and instructions are absolutely essential to a mod working.

Case in point ... Unofficial Oblivion Patch Female Dremora Restored and Voiced requires an ITM to function. Without the ITM the mod will do nothing at all if you use the UOP and have no other mod that adds female Dremora. If you clean the mod (and the latest version of TES4Edit does this automatically without any input from the user) the ITM will be removed and you may just as well uninstall the mod and save yourself some room (and ESP space) in your Data folder.

If the mod description did not specifically instruct users to "Do not clean" it would be incomplete and would not outline one of the most likely causes for the mod failing.

- Edit - From this post by Chambcra follow this link. It's not adding you to the TrustedInstallers group but it may get you looking in the right areas (or perhaps lead to another way around whatever your problem is).

Edited by Striker879

why do people keep posting in their mod details, that their mod has been cleaned w/ tes4edit ... i hope they do realize that's the equivalent of saying my computer has been scanned by virus scan xyz, which is totally dependent on it's library.

any who, i'm not knocking anyone's mod, it just foolish to depend on something that's only as good as it's brute force dictionary ... very few anti-virus progs capture realistic new viruses w/o being utterly intrusive on one's own productivity. it's so secure, i even can't get in!

perhaps i should start dogging individuals who post such ... that it's clean, spend a bit of time and find several flaws through the CS and just ask the obvious question ... i thought you said it was clean.

What DTD said, cleaning a mod is basically the same as scanning for virus with a reliable anti-virus program e.g Panda Dome (I use it). So, relax and enjoy a modded game (stable when using Wrye Bash).

A point of general wisdom that imo eclipses this entire topic:
Assume others know what they're doing until proven otherwise.

Assuming that something or others that you don't understand are stupid or "foolish" is in itself a hallmark of ignorance.

Edited by Joehtosis

i just saw that line "cleaned by .... " on someone's recently posted mod. it didn't give me any comfort and as far as dirty edits, prior ... i really don't recall oldlivion crashing any less than it is today.

i guess a simple example, one day i can load up LOOT and it states everything is copesthetic, some days not ... i need to clean. a month passes and i need to clean the same mod again ... what changed? ... did dirty edits, bad deletes slip into my non-updated mod???

i used to run a pc repair business, i remember once running 10 different virus scanners and none of them found a problem. a simple examination of the files running and a quick google searched found a keylogger.

i just found it comical and take no comfort from a new mod stating such.

when others have to come back and correct their own work, they proved their self faulty. assuming that someone else doesn't understand, might make you ignorant.

i digress, had to make sure i did post this in the talk section. apparently i'm getting some grief from my tone.

any who, didn't mean to get any one in an uproar, it was just something new i saw and thought it was comical and have yet to hear anything that invalidates my thought. tx all for the response ...

a quote of my own: time is the most valuable gift one can give another, as it cannot be regained. so tx again.

Edited by bobbyskel78

it was just an observation, something that felt familiar gentle-people, nothing more.

i did find a bypass to the TrustedInstaller issue. it was actually pretty simple and was causing more problems than i realized ... not with oblivion in particular. simply changing the owner of a file to admin fixed the issue, in explorer and in regedit.

once again, ty for your time.

on one final note, one thing i do keep seeing in LOOT every time i open it ... this file has to be placed directly after the Oblivion master file as the author failed to use Gecko's, 'move world spaces'. well, i figured ... run Gecko's, move world spaces ... the comment remains, the load order the same.

on one final note, one thing i do keep seeing in LOOT every time i open it ... this file has to be placed directly after the Oblivion master file as the author failed to use Gecko's, 'move world spaces'. well, i figured ... run Gecko's, move world spaces ... the comment remains, the load order the same.

Can't say for certain how LOOT implements it's warnings but in BOSS those are just part of the masterlist (which is just a text file ... you can edit it if you want). May give you someplace to start digging around.