Heavy Traffic ×

How do I use Maskars Oblivion Overhaul with MO2

Molhek

I just got into modding Oblivion and found Maskars Oblivion overhaul. I have manually installed it to try it out. Now I want to start using MO2 as my mod manager. I cant seem to get MO2 to manage MOO. What is the proper way of installing it so that MO2 manages it? If I can't does anyone have any similar mods to MOO that I can use with MO2?

You made the right choice with a manual install.

I never used Mod organizer 2. What's your precise problem with MO2? Did you try another mods manager like Wrye bash? or TES mod manager?

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

MO2 is showing it as unmanaged and wont launch the game even without other mods. I just started modding and was just using MO2 because FO4 and Skyrim are modded there (and I have never used another mod manager). I'll have to try TES mod manager or Wrye Bash. Should I use BOSS or LOOT with them to sort the load order with the different mod managers?

most mod managers just use the archive (7zip, ..)

i've found the hard way, it's very useful to examine the data structure (data/textures .../data/meshe ... so on) many authors fail to package their archives correctly and the mod manager seldom corrects for this. so a normal habit of mine, look at the structure first, if it has multiple options, those files should be extracted and placed into the correct directory structure ... i like archiving them back afterwards and give a unique name based on the option. also, to reduce using up unnecessary mod slots, tes4gecko can be used to merge many similar mods (esps)... although the resource files have to be merged together manually (textures, meshes ... etc). an additional method, many files require cleaning, which tes4edit makes this a breeze, but they might also have multiple archives, patches and/or fixes ... extracting the archives in order on top of each other inserting the cleaned esp in the data file saves up some mod slots as well ... plus in the bad situation a total re-install is necessary, it just makes things quicker.

i still use OBMM (i don't want to hear it). MOO comes with quite a bit of options to make setting up the ini easier (the omod), not sure if bain or other managers offer this. i doubt that's the problem though. MOO is mostly obse script, one of the many reasons it states that it should be compatible w/ all other mods. i'm not sure what the MO2 is trying to manage ... conflict detection, only thing i can think of.

seeing as you stated your just got into Oblivion. hopefully, you installed the game into a unique directory (c:\oblivion) and not in the default programs directory. the built-in (post XP) User Access Control (UAC) and Windows Defender will play havoc w/ any mod manager, throwing files into a virtual sandbox or just straight out denying access.

as consensus goes, most individuals swear by wrye bash for a mod-manager, especially if one plans on using similar files that may conflict w/ each other (pretty much all major over-hauls)

LOOT has really come of age, although one can still use BOSS in conjunction and yes it's recommended if not necessity. MOO, normally should be at the end of one's load order. LOOT will automatically do this for you, as well as give you guides for tags in using wrye bash, among other useful tid-bits. I'm pretty sure LOOT and BOSS both use a repository of reported errors ... so their only good as the most recent masterlist ... they update automatically.

the last prob i will manage that i've run into, many of the new mods may have been archived (7zip ...) using a newer version than what's included w/ some of the older mod managers. the couple and usually out-of-date, 7z.exe file for OBMM won't properly be able to deal w/ the newer format. it's a simple fix, download the latest version of 7-zip ... winrar i saw in one case and just paste the newer files over the out-of-date ones. it's usually in the root directory of the mod manager. (oblivion/<mod manager>)

For right now, if your mod list is relatively small ... find something that works easily for you. switching mod managers will usually deactivate everything and require a full reinstall. using multiple managers won't warn you about conflicts in-between the two managers.

that's all i can think of. as far as, MOO i can't think of any complications i've ever had using it, besides some functions not working as described ... but that's expected for such a large merged over-haul.

Edited by bobbyskel78