Would it be possible to give an npc something and it will appear in their house?

Just my initial thoughts on your problem.

There is no direct cause and effect between those two actions ("receive a book" and "placing it on the shelf") so you will have to create one. I would create the "bookcase/shelf" for the house where they will eventually appear with each of the intended individual book "objects" placed on it but initially "inactive/hidden".

Then in the quest script when the NPC is given a particular book, upon it being added to their inventory the "book object" is removed from the inventory at some point in time (immediately or after some delay, your choice) and the corresponding object in the "bookcase" is "activated/revealed".

-Dubious-

Just my initial thoughts on your problem.

There is no direct cause and effect between those two actions ("receive a book" and "placing it on the shelf") so you will have to create one. I would create the "bookcase/shelf" for the house where they will eventually appear with each of the intended individual book "objects" placed on it but initially "inactive/hidden".

Then in the quest script when the NPC is given a particular book, upon it being added to their inventory the "book object" is removed from the inventory at some point in time (immediately or after some delay, your choice) and the corresponding object in the "bookcase" is "activated/revealed".

-Dubious-

Thank you!