Tools In Starter Dashlet Move Around When Vortex Restarts

nt5raham
Go to solution Solved by nt5raham,

Is there a way to lock the tool icons in place? The more advanced I get in modding, the more tools I have, and the more I have to hunt around every time I restart Vortex. Where did Vortex put that tool this time?

BTW, the more advanced I get in modding, the more I realize how powerful Vortex is! Thanks for a great app!

Of 16 tools, it is rearranging the last two on the list. It typically moves Creation Kit (c:\apps\steam\...\Skyrim Special Edition\), and Archive (c:\apps\steam\...\Skyrim Special Edition\tools\archive\) further up the list. Where it puts them is somewhat random, but close to the same each time. Based on what you are saying that makes sense if Vortex begins its search in the game folder. The other tools that are being leap-frogged (xEdit, DynDOLOD, etc.) are not in the game folder but rather stored in c:\apps\xEdit, etc. However, the result is inconsistent. Sometimes CK ends up before xEdit, sometimes after, etc. It always keeps it interesting, trying to guess where I will find a particular tool each time I bring Vortex up. However, I can say that once it moves these two apps off of the bottom of the list, it seems to stabilize. It just isn't where I would arrange them logically...I group tools together based on my idea of logic :smile:.

Would it help if I moved my other tools into game folder\tools? Or is there another way to manipulate this so it will stop?

Update from GitHub:

IDCs: "it appears that when you first add the tools they will indeed display in the order the user added them, however these are stored using the tool's id which is randomly generated whenever a tool is created. Next time you start Vortex, these are fed to the starter in ASCII order using the tool ids, reason why the order seems random upon restart."

A solution is being discussed to stabilize the process.

• Solution

Final update from GitHub:

IDCs added a commit that referenced this issue 43 minutes ago
@IDCs
Manually added tools on dashboard are now organized by timestamp 19649d7
This is an interim solution for #6776 - the better solution would be to
allow users to drag and drop their tools around so they can easily
position them as they wish - possibly a 2.0 enhancement ?
@IDCs
Contributor
IDCs commented 39 minutes ago
Hey @nt5raham, thanks for confirming, and yes I agree that the best solution would be to allow users to drag/drop their tools into the wanted position but as we're already considering a UI/UX overhaul - I think a good middle ground would be to sort them by timestamp for now. I'm going to close this issue as the commit above should resolve your issue, but we will keep this use case in mind and potentially allow users to drag/drop their tools around in the future.
@IDCs IDCs closed this 39 minutes ago