Nifscope Issues with Outfit Parts

jimmyjam115

Hey everyone!

I was messing around in nifscope and blender trying to create NCR conscript armor. I put some things in nifscope and it looked pretty cool. When I try to load it into the geck it looks all stretchy and weird. I tried changing the NiNode names and giving the object a unique name, but the issue still persists.

Here is a link to some pictures:

One picture is what I see in nifscope, and the geck images are what appears in game.

https://imgur.com/a/RkqMlsh

Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated. I'm about at my wit's end trying to fix this. Thanks!!

I don't know how you did it but you have your bone weights all screwed up. If you don't know about meshes and rigging, the bones are the armature (aka skeleton) that the various bits are attached to for animation. For example, outfit sleeves are weighted to arm bones, and outfit legs are weighted to leg bones.

Make sure that the outfits that you are copying bits from all use the same armature/skeleton.

For some reason your nif has two Scene_Root nodes. There should only be one and it should be at the top of the nif in nifscope.

Make sure you copy branches from one nif to the other. You should end up with a single Scene_Root and all of the various bones and mesh bits under that.

The two scene roots in a .nif file is usually the result of combining parts from two different .nif files in blender. If you import two .nif files into blender and if you transfer a part from one to the other, the entire scene root also transfers. You can correct this by using the Nifskope command "remove branch". However, since it has been so long since I make this mistake, I don't remember which scene root you should remove.

Experience has taught me to only combine parts in NifSkope and then make any final adjustments in Blender.

I combine parts from different nifs in blender all the time. You just have to make sure to remove the armatures in the end and import the skeleton again so you only have one scene root. If the mesh still has two after the export you can just select the NiNode that contains all parts of the mesh and use 'Crop to Brach' and then rename it to 'Scene Root'.

@jimmyjam115

The best method to fix this sepcific case is to import the mesh into blender and remove the armature/skeleton and import the skeleton again and then export, it should be fixed then.

I suspect that you did not only copy over the blocks but the whole NiNode into the other nif, that's how this things came to be. It's generally better to work on your meshes in blender, because you have more control over what you want to do and can also fix weighting issues that may arise by mashing parts of different outfits together. If you plan on making more mashups, it's best to consider learning how to work with blender.

Edited by AusAllerWelt

I combine parts from different nifs in blender all the time. You just have to make sure to remove the armatures in the end and import the skeleton again so you only have one scene root. If the mesh still has two after the export you can just select the NiNode that contains all parts of the mesh and use 'Crop to Brach' and then rename it to 'Scene Root'.

@jimmyjam115

The best method to fix this sepcific case is to import the mesh into blender and remove the armature/skeleton and import the skeleton again and then export, it should be fixed then.

I suspect that you did not only copy over the blocks but the whole NiNode into the other nif, that's how this things came to be. It's generally better to work on your meshes in blender, because you have more control over what you want to do and can also fix weighting issues that may arise by mashing parts of different outfits together. If you plan on making more mashups, it's best to consider learning how to work with blender.

I imported the merchant vest into blender first to cut some stuff I did not like. When I import to blender, is there a way to only import the object and not the nodes?

I don't know how you did it but you have your bone weights all screwed up. If you don't know about meshes and rigging, the bones are the armature (aka skeleton) that the various bits are attached to for animation. For example, outfit sleeves are weighted to arm bones, and outfit legs are weighted to leg bones.

Make sure that the outfits that you are copying bits from all use the same armature/skeleton.

For some reason your nif has two Scene_Root nodes. There should only be one and it should be at the top of the nif in nifscope.

Make sure you copy branches from one nif to the other. You should end up with a single Scene_Root and all of the various bones and mesh bits under that.

Other items I transfer over has 2 sceneroots and it works fine. I'm new to this and pretty lost.

Would you share the file with us, it might be easier to figure out what exactly the problem is.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eufi0eoy89cjd0h/ammocarrier.nif/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x4q07dnznav32y2/conscript_test.nif/file

Try this link. Conscript_test.nif is the armor and ammocarrier.nif is what I am trying to import

The ammocarrier.nif has been edited in blender to cut some bits off

Edited by jimmyjam115

It's what I suspected, you copied the whole NiNode over. You only need to select the NiTriShape and copy that over, then everything will have the same scene root.