weird shotgun damage bug

Wait so that means that if you have bean bags loaded a mine will deal 5% damage?

photo-40057215.jpg

Pretty much, yes. YOUR mines, that is. And it will cause fatigue like a bean bag impact.

And a mine will deal 175% damage with HP ammo loaded, but then faces a x3 DT increase in whatever it harms in the blast, etc.

Source?

Clarification, please? This only affects "shotgun" ammo, or every "currently equipped" weapon ammo? (I'm reading the latter interpretation but trying for verification.) And it's not just "cosmetic" in the Pipboy but applies when using all weapons? AND it's not fixed by YUP or JIPLN or JohnnyGuitar or lStewieAI or any mod?

Makes you wonder why it's taken a decade for anyone to notice this "vanilla" behavior. (Nice catch holyshitijustwantanaccount, and the investigation miguick.) Definitely going into the "Mod Conflicts" wiki article. (Always something new to surprise you in this game.)

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Pretty much, yes. YOUR mines, that is. And it will cause fatigue like a bean bag impact.

And a mine will deal 175% damage with HP ammo loaded, but then faces a x3 DT increase in whatever it harms in the blast, etc.

Source?

Testing methodology that no one has cared for in over a decade I guess. All the thing with ammo types and swapping in FNV is mostly bells and whistles most people don't care too much about, coming across this particular issue of delayed damage sources being affected by ammo effects can be quite uncommon in normal gameplay, and when it happens a regular player has very little way of telling it has.

Clarification, please? This only affects "shotgun" ammo, or every "currently equipped" weapon ammo? (I'm reading the latter interpretation but trying for verification.) And it's not just "cosmetic" in the Pipboy but applies when using all weapons? AND it's not fixed by YUP or JIPLN or JohnnyGuitar or any mod?

Makes you wonder why it's taken a decade for anyone to notice this "vanilla" behavior. (Nice catch holyshitijustwantanaccount, and the investigation miguick.) Definitely going into the "Mod Conflicts" wiki article. (Always something new to surprise you in this game.)

-Dubious-

It affects any current ammo you have. Most of the time it's "cosmetic" but the game treats all damage you cause as affected by your current ammo's effects behind the scenes, which under normal circumstances would only come into play when mines are involved, but the problem is still real.

Not my intention to brag, but the good news is that this thread has inspired me to tackle the problem. I THINK I can solve it for all damage ammo effects, and mostly solve it for DT effects. I can't see how to solve it for DR effects but those aren't used in vanilla.

Spread and weapon condition ammo effects appear safe enough. Fatigue effects are a complete disaster but I already replaced those in a mod of mine, which hopefully I'll update with this stuff soon enough.

(Imagine a VERY regal tone:) "I have every confidence a modder of your caliber will find a solution." (No pressure :laugh: ). Thanks for the confirmation.

Added as "Issue - MAIN - Weapon Damage displayed for other weapons is unexpected" to the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

This is a nice subject for discussion, but who cares? My only concern is having the maximum amount of damage available when I equip a weapon. Or am I missing something here.

What happens when you have no weapon equipped? Does the damage drop to zero?

As far as the concern about the damage a mine does, it will change as soon as the mine is equipped.

Is there a way to check the damage after a mine has been deployed?

This is a nice subject for discussion, but who cares? My only concern is having the maximum amount of damage available when I equip a weapon. Or am I missing something here.

Indeed, who cares...

What happens when you have no weapon equipped? Does the damage drop to zero?

With no weapon equipped, or no ammo equipped, or ammo with no special effects -> no ammo effects that can change damage/DR/DT -> everything works normally. Otherwise someone would definitely have already noticed something going on.

As far as the concern about the damage a mine does, it will change as soon as the mine is equipped.

The damage a mine (or anything really) does is calculated at the moment it explodes, not when you equip it or lay it. That's why ammo effects can affect it.

Is there a way to check the damage after a mine has been deployed?

Without NVSE + JIP? Not really.