The big quest for a Power supply

Hello i am on a hunt for a decent modular power supply. Roughly a 1300 watt or a 1200watt is my target right now...

Things are restarting on during gameplay ever sense i bought my ssd's, my aging power supply is having a hard time keeping up with all my new Hardware.

example would be this.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/thermaltake-toughpower-grand-rgb-1200w-full-modular-power-supply/12622929

I see you have a bestbuy canada link, have you tried to look at Memory Express and Canada Computers yet (and newegg canada for online)? I use an EVGA 1200 P2 currently, runs well and boots quietly which is always nice. I believe Seasonic and Corsair also make really good quality power supplies which can be found around the 1200W+ range also.

Are you sure the issue you're having is with the PSU though? They very rarely fail and 1000 watts is definitely more than you need, most high quality power supplies come with a 5-10 year warranty even. I believe the 2700x only allows for up to 20 usable PCIe lanes (4 reserved) so maybe there are some issues going on there which you can look into. I don't believe a 2070 Super is able to fully saturate a x8 link (or if so, not by much), does Ryzen/B450 chipset allow you to allocate lanes? I haven't checked in a while but I think m.2 drives will take x4 each and Ryzen is relatively new so maybe you're running into some instability from that? Just a guess, but it is worth trying out before you go spend money on a 1200W platinum rated PSU as your system probably could run fine on even a 650-750W without risk depending on your processor overclocking.

I used to use a 750W power supply and had no problems with my similar though much older system.

Hi, no problem!

I would recommend setting your RTX 2070 Super to be using x8 instead of x16 if possible within the bios (I am not sure what your bios supports or doesn't support but it probably can do that!). That way you will have lanes to spare (Unless you are overclocking your 2070 pretty significantly you shouldn't be able to saturate a x8 link). Alternatively If you are not using your m.2 ssd setup in raid you could disable one of them (non-boot obviously) within the bios or to remove one of them physically so you can test your system with a single m.2 (pcie x4) and your 2070 (pcie x16) for a total of 20 lanes utilized and see your stability.

Hopefully this helps, my old CPU has 40 lanes to make use of so I haven't had to make this consideration but I don't think a 1000W Corsair PSU would be failing you. Have you ever looked into your event logs within Windows 10 also for why it shut down unexpectedly?

Thanks for the help, after a nap i finally said good by to that 512gb m.2 drive. I received it from a old laptop. But I bought that 2tb m.2 ssd. I will remove it and put it on the secondary slot from my video card, leaving it for 16x instead of 8x mode.

Edited by niphilim222