Change AI package for existing NPC

Ok so I have a mod with a new area that I want an existing vanilla NPC to use during the day.

Tried changing the NPC's default AI package, but that didn't do anything.

Then I made a dialog quest for the NPC and set up an alias for them with a Sandbox Package to spend an hour per day in the new location.

I know the quest is running because the dialog options are available. I tried an evaluatepackage() on the NPC.

Still no behavior change.

What am I missing? Any ideas? Thanks for all the help!

Which NPC? Editing vanilla NPCs is a bit dodgy, unless you are absolutely sure about everything.

If I know the NPC, I could take a look. I've used vanilla NPCs but never edited the NPC or touched any of their packages. I include them in quests for dialogue, hijack some of their vanilla lines and duplicate the voice files that I want to use in my own quest. I then flag their quest alias as 'Allow Reserved', so that another quest reserving them doesn't block my dialogue.

Another thing about using vanilla NPCs... if they're not essential they could be killed and your quest will not run. If you flag them as 'Allow Dead' or 'Allow Disabled', that won't help if they need to speak lines! Some are essential or protected all the time. Others are only essential until some quest or other is completed and they become killable again. The player could even have killed them before installing your mod, if they are not essential.

If they are assigned to a quest and that quest takes priority over yours, they may be running their vanilla quest packages and will ignore yours. You will only see if this is possible by checking the NPCs 'Use Info' for any quests they are aliases of and inspecting each of their quest aliases. Never alter a vanilla NPCs packages or anything else for that matter, until you've checked that it cannot upset a vanilla quest, merchant dialogue etc.

Lots of things could be wrong with this... it's one of the dangers of editing vanilla NPCs. The other thing is that their behaviour could be baked into your save... or the save of any player, if they instal your mod part way through.

Anyhow, let me know the NPC and I'll take a quick look at them.

Let's just take for example getting the inhabitants of the Blue Palace to use a new dining area...or use any particular room for a couple hours at some time of day. No real risk of them dying from it. If I change the NPC AI package there is zero change...I assume it's already loaded for them. So I made a quest with some dialog for them to use the new area. In the quest I made an alias for them and assigned that alias a new package to go there and sandbox. Still no change. I really thought that one would work. So obviously I'm missing something.

No!

Let's not take, for example, the residents of the Blue Palace, Jorvaskr, Darklight Tower or any other imaginary location! Let's take the specific example you were originally asking about, shall we? Also it doesn't matter whether they're taking breakfast, lunch, high tea or supper... in AI terms it's all the same.

I asked you to tell me the vanilla NPC so I could help. Instead you answered with a hypothetical and somewhat condescending and vague scenario that I have no interest in. I'm not here to play guessing games. I wanted to help. You won't tell me which NPC it is, so, count me out and good luck!

Please don't mess with vanilla NPCs, though... and yes, you are definitely missing somehing.

I'm sorry...I'm not trying to be vague hypothetical or condescending...this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm working with a Blue Palace mod that adds several new areas. One of those is an entirely new dining area. It doesn't matter which NPC you choose, there are several in the area to update. Sybille, Elisif, Falk, Palace Guards... I was simply letting you choose your favorite because to me it really doesn't matter. If I can get one to work, I can probably get any to work. Just like the sandbox area or the time. Doesn't matter. If one works, any should work.

I understand you're trying to help, it's simply that the specifics matter less to me than the general theory. If someone has an example of how they made Balgruuf go fishing every day at 5am...I'll take it and learn from it.

Thank you.

hi.

I was having a very bad day!

The specifics actually do matter! Just because one works, doesn't mean that the rest will work. This is what I was trying to say...

... the NPC 'SybilleStentor' may work and do your sandbox package if she is not tied to 'The man who cried wolf' quest, or any other quest that takes priority over your quest. Once you progress the 'Solitude questlines' further, 'SybilleStentor' may not do your sandbox package. Also,if you make your quest a higher priority than 'The man who cried wolf', that quest may never run!

Reading your response, it looks like you are trying to alter multiple vanilla NPCs. What I said is still valid.

I really don't want to sound rude, but you must understand how altering vanilla NPCs affecets the game. Trust me, it can destroy vanilla quests.

"I understand you're trying to help, it's simply that the specifics matter less to me than the general theory."

Still trying to be polite, you need to understand the general theory before you can get to the specifics. If you have several NPCs you're altering, let me know which ones they are and what you are changing. I can then tell you if it is a problem or not.