Vortex Seems to Be running Already

goldenfalcon07

If I Select Per- user on my second, Windows 10 Account. Vortex signs in to my Nexus Profile and shows only one managed game "Stardew Valley". It is empty. No mods, no other games managed. Nothing. I don't know why selecting per-user would log me into my account, but it happens every time.

Perhaps the one ,managed game, is trying to pull files from the main account to run. Causing an issue? I don't see why that would completely break one instance of the software but who knows.

I've been using Vortex for about 7 months on my Current PC. However today was the first time I tried to enable sharing on multiple accounts. I have downloaded 70+ mods for Skyrim SE and several mods for other games.

I don't know if this would help, but I first enabled sharing on the second account. The account that had never used Vortex in the past. Don't know if that is an issue or not. It feels to me like there is something happening between the two accounts that won't let Vortex run properly. Today is the first time I've had Vortex software issues, in all my time using it. Of course I've had mod compatibility issues in the past,but that should't be causing this problem. At least I don't think so.

Edit: I also downloaded some mods manually today.

Edited by goldenfalcon07

I've been using Vortex for about 7 months on my Current PC. However today was the first time I tried to enable sharing on multiple accounts. I have downloaded 70+ mods for Skyrim SE and several mods for other games.

I don't know if this would help, but I first enabled sharing on the second account. The account that had never used Vortex in the past. Don't know if that is an issue or not. It feels to me like there is something happening between the two accounts that won't let Vortex run properly. Today is the first time I've had Vortex software issues, in all my time using it. Of course I've had mod compatibility issues in the past,but that should't be causing this problem. At least I don't think so.

Edit: I also downloaded some mods manually today.

Hmmm, maybe you have to enable SHARING from the "Master" account?

What happens if you switch the 2nd account back to Per-User, then log out, switch to the Main account, and switch THAT account to Per-User?

(Or have you already tried that and I missed it?)

But, it seems that it should eb the account that Installed Vortex that should be making the changes to Vortex (I assume)

When I Enable Sharing or Per-user on my second account. The master account still says "seems to be Already Running". I can't access the Master account to change anything.

On the second account, in Sharing mode the account itself has no, games listed as managed and does not log me in automatically. When in Per-user mode, Vortex usually come up with one managed game (Stardew Valley) and logs me in, so long as I haven't loged out manually myself. I would think in sharing mode, vortex would either pull info from the master software to the Secondary account. Or the secondary account would try to send its data to the master. Data witch does not exist because its never had mods before.

Either way I don't see how it forces the master version of Vortex to assume multiple instances of the software are running?

Update, upon Un-installing a re-installing Vortex. I still have the same message? This is incredibly odd.

Update Again: After clearing all directories and files from %appdata% roaming, Vortex booted on my main account. Any idea why this happened? I still have all the files from vortex if need be.

Edited by goldenfalcon07

Update, upon Un-installing a re-installing Vortex. I still have the same message? This is incredibly odd.

Update Again: After clearing all directories and files from %appdata% roaming, Vortex booted on my main account. Any idea why this happened? I still have all the files from vortex if need be.

Sounds like you have Vortex installed Twice.

Check the root of your C:\ drive for a ProgramData folder and see if there's a Vortex Folder in there.

In another thread about SHARED vs PER-USER there was mention of changing the settings put things in the ProgramData folder instead of the usuall appdata\roaming\Vortex folder

• 1 year later...

I cannot switch back to PER-USER because the vortex will not run after the message. HOWEVER, if I run it as Administrator, it starts normally and appears to behave ok, I can then switch back to PER-USER, close it and it starts and runs normally.

• 2 weeks later...

Vortex will report that message if its database is inaccessible. Under normal circumstances that would only happen if another instance of Vortex is running that has it locked.

But another reason could be the file permissions are set to not allow you access. Switching shared vs per-user will simply change the database it's trying to access and then yes, maybe that one is readable, but that's not a fix, it's basically like "my car is broken, I fixed it by buying a new car".

Vortex creates the database in your user accounts appdata directory (per-user) or programdata (shared), either would always be accessible to the account creating the files.

The way you get this kind of problem is usually by running stuff as admin because then admin owns your files and not your own account and then you _always_ have to run as admin. One reason that's a bad idea.