easy way to port assets from one mod to another

i asked this question in another thread, but under a different topic and as a post thought. in short, some mods add cosmetics or customized races. i'm creating my own custom race mod and wanted to have access to every cosmetic asset i could find. in deciding to publish it, i looked at my own 'race menu' and noted some mods (not cosmetic, but quest) added playable characters so i wanted to add them.

any who, feeling like a noob and can't think of a way to port just the race form over to my mod. the transfer of mesh and textures was easy.

i tried using gecko and merging then just deleting the non-relevant portions from the merge ... not so easy when it's a huge quest mod. same prob happened in the CS. i thought perhaps opening two instances of the CS and copying/pasting to the global clipboard would work ... nope. drag n' drop doesn't work. help!

xEdit would probably be the simplest way, but also probably not. If you directly port assets you will require the mod you ported from to be a master which probably isn't something you want to deal with. The other way is to just remake the assets in the CS so that you never touch the original. And if you do that without touching the original you should be able to just remove the master in xEdit once the porting is done