My Little Tent

JonesenoJ

Hello, I'm making a small mod where you enter a tiny tent but it's not so tiny from the inside, like that thing from the Harry Potter movie.

This is the first time I'm modding fnv and I'd like some suggestions on what to add to this player home.

Thanks.

That is a fine "starter project" for a new modder. My suggestion would be to first list all the things you as a player would want in such a "home". That will help you form a picture in your mind of what elements you need, such as "type of bed", "storage" (everything in one container or separate by type), workbench, campfire, etc.. Is this going to be "roughin' it" or "penthouse"?

Then take a look at various existing "home" mods to see what sort of things others have thought of that you didn't. There are already several "portable tent" mods, so you will definitely want to check them out to see how to make your's "different". (There is always something. It tends to be personal.) Note to your self what seems to "work" and what doesn't in your personal concept. (Don't worry too much about details such as colors, textures, and placement. Those will come as needed.)

Once you have an idea of what you want to include, then sit down and work out the "how" you are going to implement all of that. What skills do you bring to the project and what do you need to learn? I'm a big believer in "don't re-invent the wheel. Steal Borrow it." Check out the "Modders Resources and Tutorials" category of Nexus, as well as the Wiki for help.

As this is your first FNV project, then I suggest you are least look over the "Getting started creating mods using GECK" wiki article for a list of compatible tools you will need, along with links to various tutorials and tips from experienced mod creators.

The "New Vegas GECK and Modders" sub-forum is where to ask your specific technical questions about using that tool (and you WILL have questions).

Good luck and stick with it. Mod creation takes patience.

-Dubious-

Hello, thanks for the elaborate reply, I definitely am checking other mods as well as tutorials, but only when I face a problem, and I've faced a lot such as item ownership, lighting and TP door names, but I'm sure I will figure those out soon enough.

There are many things I do not know yet, but I usually work around those things.

The tent layout from the inside will be similar to that of Ceaser, but with a "pre-war" feel to it. It will include a small bar, clinic, storage, etc..

What I hope to learn in the future is how to "hire" servants through a terminal, who will do various things such as those of the Sink.

Again thanks for the links, makes it easier now.

Edited by JonesenoJ

Seems I have met and early dead end, somehow I have managed to make 5 eps files. Now I cant edit things as they will revert back to how they were.

I've downloaded FNVEdit and tried to fix it, but this is getting overwhelming.

Edited by JonesenoJ

When you can't make changes, it usually means you don't have the correct permissions. With this game that usually means it's because of where you installed it.

Did you install Steam to it's default location? (GOG is not a problem as it places the game correctly.) If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more but didn't change it for older games); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. Among other things, later versions of Windows (since the game was released) force files in "system protected" folder trees to be "read only" regardless of how you set them.

Don't move it to "User\Documents" either, as "executables" are not permitted to run from there for similar "anti-malware" reasons.

This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. With the game moved out of the default location you will not need to be running it as an "Administrator Account", which is safer. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

If you did move Steam out of the default location, then likely any access privilege problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then (while logged in as an "Administrator Account") need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

-Dubious-

Hey, It wasn't about steam's location, it was about the esp file that I'm using has 4 masters, (not including the base game and dlc). I tried to merge the files but that didn't work out. The problem was that sometimes when I didn't choose the esp file as active file, that way when I save it creates a plugin and thus another master, that's what at least I think happened.

Anyway, I've started over and already finished the interior, though I've got a couple questions if you don't mind answering them here.

-My "house" doesn't have a roof, to observe the beautiful sky. So my question is, can I enable the sky in interiors? If not, will the Gomorrah sky block or fake sky dome do the trick?

-When creating dialogues and the player is given multiple choices, ie: speech check, barter check.. etc.. How do i set it that when 1 option is chosen, the others are no longer available?

Thanks.

Edit: I've figured out the interior sky.

Edit 2: Who knew an 11 year old tutorial would be helpful.

Edited by JonesenoJ