FO4Edit stopped working (using MO2). Please help!

You may be looking in the wrong place for your problem. When I load xEdit through MO2 xEdit says it's loading "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.txt" It's actually loading "C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\profiles\JennyLCCA_CBBE\Plugins.txt"

JennyLCCA_CBBE is the name of the profile I'm currently using in MO2.

Ok, interesting ...

C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\profiles just contains a folder called "default", not all of my MO2 profiles ...

In that "default" folder, there is a plugins.txt file, but in that are only the plugins that I installed before I was using ModOrganizer ...

By the way, I have installed MO2 (and xEdit and FO4 and Steam and pretty much anything else) on an external harddrive, not the C drive.

I'm far from a MO2 expert but I'd bet you'll find the plugins.txt file that MO2 is actually using or trying to use, buried up in the MO2 files somewhere on that external drive. I also have the plugins.txt file in the MO2 "default" folder. It contains one esp, not one that I currently have installed.

If I had your problem I think my next step would be to install some simple mod, create a new profile in MO2 and see if it would sort things out.

Ok, so I just tried to start FO4Edit on my "secondary PC" (I have Fallout 4 installed there , but I don't use that machine for gaming, it's just a cheap laptop) and it works fine there.

No errors on startup, IT JUST WORKSTM.

On that computer, I have everything installed on the "normal" C drive.

So I think thatI have some problems because I have all my games and software installed on a "secondary internal harddrive".

For now I can at least continue to work on stuff (by using FO4Edit on my old laptop), maybe I will reinstall everything on the C drive at some point ...

(Maybe I need to get a bigger SSD to use as the "main C drive", because the one I have now is half full with just the "default stuff" like Windows 10 and all of that crap ...)

But then there is anohter question:

Is it better to install "Steam" (and all of the games) on the C drive (SSD) or on another drive ("normal" HDD)?

I don't care if the load screens in the game are 1 minute or 2 minutes long ....

That's why I put all of that stuff on the (bigger) HDD.

I thought that that would be better then "running out of memory" at some point ...

(I mainly play/mod Fallout 4, Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind, and I don't plan on investing my time into any other games in the future ...)

Maybe I will open a new topic for that ...

Sorry, forgot you said xEdit would not start outside of MO2.

I can't tell you what's proper to install on C: I can only tell you what I do. Basically anything that affects game performance like FO4, Steam, MO2 goes on my C: drive. I do have a 256GB SSD but I did the exact same thing with my old 128GB SSD and had plenty of room. I also have FO4Edit installed on my C: drive but If I was really pressed for space I probably would not have it there.

I hope you get it worked out. I can't think of anything else that could help.

Weird stuff ...

Ok, so how can such an "invisible character" get there?

When I made my username on this PC, I didn't "copy & paste" anything, I just typed it in ....

And is there any way to fix this (except completely deleting everything from my PC and doing a "clean install" of Windows and everything else ...)?