Problem with downloaded file

baloney8sammich

Apologies if this is not the right forum for this.

I downloaded "Easier Lockpicking 1_2 - Nordic Locks" from Easier Lockpicking and happened to notice that the files in the archive don't match the files indicated by the Preview.

Preview:

lock01.dds
lock01_em.dds
lock01_n.dds
lockpick01_n.dds
locksmallpiece.dds
locksmallpiece_n.dds
skeletonkeylockpicking_n.dds

Actual:

._lock01_n.dds
._lockpick01_n.dds
._locksmallpiece_n.dds
._skeletonkeylockpicking_n.dds
lock01.dds
lock01_em.dds
lock01_n.dds
locksmallpiece.dds
locksmallpiece_n.dds

(paths omitted because that much is identical)

I contacted the mod author who said he downloaded the file and it matched the Preview exactly.

I've downloaded the file three times now (once in early June through MO2, again last night through MO2, and a few minutes ago manually) and it's always the same. The only possibility I can think of is that the file on "my" mirror is borked somehow.

In case it's helpful, here's the link location I get for manual download (personal details removed):

hxxps://cf-files.nexusmods.com/cdn/110/53071/Easier%20Lockpicking%201_2%20-%20Nordic%20Locks-53071-1-2.zip?md5=6dJ07HGx5iuIkjvZ6PPaSw&expires=1594592305

Edited by baloney8sammich

I can confirm that is the correct MD5 hash, when sending it to our API you get this response:

api.nexusmods.com/v1/games/skyrim/mods/md5_search/c04e7e0ef7a9f13b3e249fbd33979f17.json

[
    {
        "mod": {
            "name": "EASIER LOCKPICKING - Without Cheating - Nordic Retexture",
            "summary": "This mod retextures the locks in Skyrim to be more scratched and weathered looking. This gives more visual reference points to remember your lock pick placement. When a pick breaks, it's easier to find the spot you started from.",
            "description": "[url=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/Blue-Bolt/media/Skyrim/Easier_Lockpicking_title2.jpg.html][img=http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/Blue-Bolt/Skyrim/Easier_Lockpicking_title2.jpg~original][/url]\r<br />\r<br />[size=3]This mod retextures the locks in Skyrim to be more scratched and weathered looking. This gives more visual reference points to remember your lockpick placement. When a pick breaks, it's easier to find the spot you started from. It makes lockpicking easier, without really cheating... such as using a gradated lock measurement system.\r<br />\r<br />My concept with this texture mod was to make it easier to deal with expert and master locks without resorting to obvious (and lore-breaking) cheats. There is simply more wear and scratches on the outer lock surface to use as visual reference points.\r<br />\r<br />The textures are the default size, so anyone can use them, but I started with the hi-res files, so I packed as much detail as I could into the smaller size. My aim was to make a mod that anyone playing Skyrim on a PC could use.\r<br />\r<br />[b]Version 1.2 [/b] brings a new Nordic design flavor to the locks of Skyrim. Default locks were not exactly attractive, so I thought a face-lift was in order. Still has the same scratched surface to give visual reference points for easier lockpicking (without cheating). \r<br />\r<br />[b]Version 1.1[/b] is a cosmetic improvement to the interior cylinder of the lock (per request). No change to the outer ring.\r<br />\r<br />Enjoy![/size]",
            "picture_url": "https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/53071-1-1414460455.jpg",
            "mod_id": 53071,
            "game_id": 110,
            "allow_rating": true,
            "domain_name": "skyrim",
            "category_id": 29,
            "version": "1.2",
            "endorsement_count": 7503,
            "created_timestamp": 1397698790,
            "created_time": "2014-04-17T01:39:50.000+00:00",
            "updated_timestamp": 1414460149,
            "updated_time": "2014-10-28T01:35:49.000+00:00",
            "author": "Gamwich",
            "uploaded_by": "Gamwich",
            "uploaded_users_profile_url": "http://www.nexusmods.com/games/users/5712421",
            "contains_adult_content": false,
            "status": "published",
            "available": true,
            "user": {
                "member_id": 5712421,
                "member_group_id": 27,
                "name": "Gamwich"
            },
            "endorsement": null
        },
        "file_details": {
            "file_id": 1000132865,
            "name": "Easier Lockpicking 1_2 - Nordic Locks",
            "version": "1.2",
            "category_id": 1,
            "category_name": "MAIN",
            "is_primary": false,
            "size": 2864,
            "file_name": "Easier Lockpicking 1_2 - Nordic Locks-53071-1-2.zip",
            "uploaded_timestamp": 1414460149,
            "uploaded_time": "2014-10-28T01:35:49.000+00:00",
            "mod_version": "1.2",
            "external_virus_scan_url": "https://www.virustotal.com/file/843b5d6536de8152ccbf140e7108be19f23acde25dd5e1a13dd447e2562cb964/analysis/1414460225/",
            "changelog_html": null,
            "md5": "c04e7e0ef7a9f13b3e249fbd33979f17"
        }
    }
] 

So you are getting the correct file, it's just somehow being altered once it arrives/is extracted?

Ok, so it seems the problem is on my end but I don't have an inkling of what could be going on here.

If the file were altered after arrival the checksum would change, but it didn't. I even generated an sha256 checksum, which matches that on the VirusTotal page.

I also tried using a few other utilities to view the archive contents and saw the same thing.

A full system scan with Avast Free returned clean and I haven't noticed issues with any other archives.

Don't know if this will help, but I manually downloaded the file and viewed it with 7-zip. 7-zip tells me that the 'Host OS' for all the files is Unix. Also found the files beginning with an underscore character were each 4096 bytes in size. The readable characters appears to be the same in each file:

Mac OS X 2 ° â ATTR m â ˜ D ˜ D com.apple.quarantine 0043;513cf2ab;The\x20Unarchiver;367F1765-5F1A-4628-9C36-EFA6FEF98D94 This resource fork intentionally left blank ÿÿ

I have no explanations, just reporting what I found...

Don't know if this will help, but I manually downloaded the file and viewed it with 7-zip. 7-zip tells me that the 'Host OS' for all the files is Unix. Also found the files beginning with an underscore character were each 4096 bytes in size. The readable characters appears to be the same in each file:

Mac OS X 2 ° â ATTR m â ˜ D ˜ D com.apple.quarantine 0043;513cf2ab;The\x20Unarchiver;367F1765-5F1A-4628-9C36-EFA6FEF98D94 This resource fork intentionally left blank ÿÿ

Same here, though I'm not sure the 'Host OS' info is relevant. 7-zip says the same for the files in the 1.1 version of the mod but I have no issues in that case.

Since the file checksums match those recorded, I guess something about our systems must be responsible for what we're seeing. Maybe I'll try to compile some details about my system and PM you if that's alright.

Regardless, I appreciate you looking into this and reporting what you found.

Same here, though I'm not sure the 'Host OS' info is relevant. 7-zip says the same for the files in the 1.1 version of the mod but I have no issues in that case.

Since the file checksums match those recorded, I guess something about our systems must be responsible for what we're seeing. Maybe I'll try to compile some details about my system and PM you if that's alright.

Regardless, I appreciate you looking into this and reporting what you found.

Sure, i will be happy to help if I can.