⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Steam cloud keeping your saves

Alithinos

Hi,I had to format my primary drive and re-install Windows on it.

I always had Steam cloud activated and when I exited the game let it sync my files with the Cloud.

Once I installed Steam and Skyrim once again I discovered that not all my saves where there as I thought they would be.

There where only 3 manual saves,and 3 autosaves,the most latest ones.

The thing is I had more than 30 saves before on it. Now all the earlier saves are gone! :(

Nobody told me that Cloud only keeps just a few save files,and I thought that as long as I had lot of Cloud space left,the Cloud would save all of my saves until the Cloud space is run out.

Now I have completely lost most of my character builds,and most importantly the "main" ones,those that I had spent most game time on them.

It feels so bad having lost the progress of 100+ hours of gameplay... :psyduck:

I write that not because I have hopes that I can recover my lost saves,I think they are completely gone by now. But I write this thread only to inform others so they don't have the same luck as me.

So in case you are thinking of formatting your drive,backup all the saves of your Steam games manually and don't rely on Steam Cloud,or you may regret it!

Steam's Cloud save is laughably limited as well. If you open Skyrim's properties and go to the Updates tab, you'll see that you only have 100MB of space. Given the size of Skyrim's save files, that's around 20 saves at most, maybe six or seven "advanced" save files (which hover around 15MB in size), minus the four that autosaves and quicksaves will hog up. Cloud saving is pretty much worthless as backup storage and will actively interfere with your attempts to manage your saves (doesn't matter if you do it in-game or other file management methods) by downloading anything you delete or move to a different folder. Best advice for everyone is to turn it off and get in the habit of backing up manually.