New Member - Saying Hello

xInfaRedx

I wasn't meaning to "call you out" on anything.

Bear in mind that I am acutely aware that the only view of myself I can possibly have is from the inside looking out. It's simply impossible for me to see anything from any perspective except my own. I consider that a limitation.

I also know that I'm not unique in this limitation. If I didn't think you could benefit from a different point of view I wouldn't offer it, but my read on your personality was that you would be able to find some value in a different perspective.

Looks like you've generated some interest in your other thread. I personally don't see what problems could arise from having games on a separate drive (been my way of doing things for a few decades, since the first machines I built). One benefit I'd like to point out is that in my opinion the operating system (OS) drive is the more likely to suffer problems (sees more use/wear and tear and is the one more likely to be targeted by all the wonderful bad stuff out there). If you lose the OS drive and your games are installed there you are well and fully back on square one. If your games (and mods) are installed on a drive dedicated to them then the loss of the OS drive means you'll be reinstalling Windows, and yes you'll go through a game reinstall but that is just to generate the Windows registry entries required for the games (i.e. the games reinstall doesn't overwrite your mods ... with the exception of maybe an INI file or two that can be backed up after OS reinstall but before the games).

That's my take on it for what it's worth.

- Edit - Have you watched any of GamerPoets videos ...

Most of his other videos cover both MO and Vortex installs of things.

Edited by Striker879

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely didn't take it as a bad way of "calling me out" and yes I prob used the wrong wording there. But I meant exactly as you said later - I totally not only find value in the other perspective, but I welcome it at any time. So yes, thats my personality. You read me right.

I am glad to hear you say you support multiple drives as well as far as splitting up *certain* things from the OS drive other than the normal document and back up stuff. As a avid computer dude in the Mac side (audio industry), this has been a rule of thumb all pros follow. We even make *current to your system* back up OS Drive drives at the drives/system healthiest point, and keep them shelved. Plus do as we were talking about. This way if/when something happens to your OS Drive, you can fix it later, but not only is none of your important content effected, but all you have to do is swap hard drives and your back up and running in a few minutes.

Wipe corrupted OS Drive, then back it up with the healthy one again, and youre safe again. Quick with Carbon Copy Cloner, fyi. Anyway, the point to that guy/gal was to let him/her know that this concept isn't just someones opinion, yet is pretty deeply rooted in logic of doing anything right.

This isn't even covering the concept of splitting the tasks across multiple drives which is yet another deeper concept that optimizes (usually) apps sometimes if they are built for that. (App on the OS Drive, its library content (if large) on another drive.) I am unsure, but think its possible that Steam and the Mod Managers can operate like that. Whether or not its beneficial or detrimental is my question.

One guy mentioned that he just puts the apps themselves and just plain everything on that other drive. Which I guess does answer my question. But so far that is just his take on it. I am waiting for more to take a census of best way. lol

YES !! GamerPoets is basically one of the guys I watch to learn this stuff. But he moves a little fast, and its geared for people that I think already know PC's and a few other things. So literally its that video that caused me to have the questions that led me here. So its like I know 65-80% of the right way to do this thanks to his video and a guy named Ai Cave videos too. BUT I need that last bit of personalized info to my computer and specifics exactly. (being lame at PC knowledge for now)

My stint at writing training mauals taught me one thing ... everybody learns differently. Some people could watch a video and they have it. Me ... I watch a video and the only way I "get" anything is via constant use of the pause function. Even then it's mostly a waste of time. Now if I could read the script once you could query me in a few years time I could give you at least the broad strokes after that one read through. Everybody is wired up the way they are wired up. The power move is figure out your wiring diagram and then use that to your advantage.

And yes ... GamerPoets is geared to the 3.5 second attention span crowd.

I see you are already doing this, so I'm preaching to the choir, but you get better mileage by asking questions than challenging other peoples beliefs. If they think that C:\Program Files (x86) is the perfect spot to install games because it has worked for them they are 100% right ... for them.

That doesn't make it 100% right for me.

Yea, I'm kinda wired the "show me in person" way, then watch me do it in person too, correct my mistakes and thats all I need, I catch it from there.

When not in person, its hard cause I always have a issue or question that a pre-canned tutorial or lesson or manual doesn't explain.

But hey, watching that GamerPoets video another time, (I forget cause I've watched so many), but his is only about MO II, not the game itself. And he states (if you read between the ADD crowd pace) to not install MO II in either the program file place nor in your game directory. Anywhere else is fine. So I actually got a answer to the MO II installation place ! Thanks man !

Now for Steam and I think I will begin to try this all on my own. Someone else I met on Craigslist recommended me to use Vortex. Cause he said its easy and has LOOT built in. God decisions decision decisions... but I know those heavy hitter guys like GamerPoets and Ai Cave got to like MO II best for a reason. Anyway- I'll decide and pull this trigger soon.

Yea, I have a bad habit of coming off like I am challenging the beliefs of someone I am conversing with. I never really am challenging, but rather wanting to get the person to see some other reasoning or the why's and possibilities of another way being ok. (for instance in me trying to get you to play Skyrim ! haha) -

But in this case in particular, dude, you're totally right. There is no other side to look at really when what they got going has worked fine for them personally for a decade or more.

It'd be a pretty boring world if we were all identical. Multiply that by a factor of 10 if everyone was identical to me!

Not sure why the GamerPoets videos didn't come to mind sooner for me. They did an interview with him here on the site a while back (maybe a year ago or so) and so now if I notice a GamerPoets video I tend to watch even if it's not on a subject I'm into. Sometimes I make it to the end, sometimes the Back button beckons and wins. Then as fate would have it when I Googled his name to get a link to post his MO2 video was right there, front and center.

Occasionally when I feel like I'm stumbling around blindly I'm actually being directed or something.

For a frame of reference, when setting up my current guy's load order the process took well over two weeks. I'm not one to walk and chew gum at the same time so the mantra is install one mod and test thoroughly. Once I'm satisfied I move on to the next. What really soaked up the hours was getting my core gameplay changing mods tweaked to my liking, first individually (so I got a handle on the ins and outs each offered) and then as a group. Granted to an outside observer many of my "testing sessions" would appear to be "playing session" but they were crafted to explore the interaction between the mods at my current INI file settings. I've only had to retweak the settings a couple of times as my guy leveled, and now I have a ton of various level saves backed up (money in the bank ... whoohoo).

The next build will be streamlined (to the extent that I will allow myself at least ... I'm my own worst enemy).

Yea I also really like GamerPoets voice. I just wish he would slow down and do a video for dummies. :laugh:

Wait, so I think I missed this, but you set up peoples mods as a job ?

Just my own load orders ... working for the world's worst boss and I have the world's worst customer ... sort of a worst of both worlds situation (but at least I know who to blame, so that's something). When I'm throwing a party for my enemies I just need the closest phone booth.

- Edit - More stumbling about today ... have you seen this one:

Edited by Striker879

But your job is Modding/of the sort ?

I haven't seen that video no. Thanks for the link. Very similar to this guy Ai Cave that I follow closely videos on it though. I like multiple sources, because as I told you, I am a consensus guy. Decision by consensus. Its always led me well. So I soak in all info, and lean towards the ones that say the same thing. But then after research and study and learning myself I inject my own personal thoughts into it and in there somewhere I make a decision. lol

So again, thanks. I use all info carefully.

Anyway, good news. That guy Ai Cave I found out has a Discord. I always heard that name, but never used it. At my age I'm just so tired of all these social media places so I always ignored it. Well I've had several people offer a discord thing to me so I went ahead and decided to join. I immediately went to Ai Caves discord and posed the question (after I was lost for hour looking at a alien UI of Discord, hashtags and all that new age crap I hate. I couldn't figure out how to or more importantly where to post the question, LOL

Anyway once I did, I got a answer from a genius level wizard dude and he said they recommend installing EVERYTHING on the secondary D drive. That means the Steam app itself, the Steam library, Game, etc.. MO II, etc.. like everything game and mod related goes on the secondary drive. BUT you make separate folders for things of course. But thats in their tutorials pretty fine.

So between the tutorials and being in contact with them via Discord, I think I am fine. Gonna take the plunge. First goal they say is to just simply install all the basics and make sure it runs through the new paths, new instal, and SKSE64 (thats a script from where you now have to launch the game from, no longer the normal way. Anyway, I try all that with no mods and if it works fine. THEN after that I can move onto installing my mods 1 at a time. Testing between each one. Or I could cheat and simply copy Ai Cave's mod list and order. But IMO, I don't want that many mods. Those guys go a bit too far. lol

Anyway, my concern is, I have a save now. I'm like 1/3 of the way through the game. I ideally would like to backup and use that save after I'm modded on the new instal to continue from. Do you know if that is possible ?

BTW, I know you're prob way above this guy knowledgable wise, and you have no interest cause you got your ways already working as you like, BUT here is a video explaining why MO II is indeed the best (for people like me who are not manual hands on as much as you) -

You can start watching at: 4:40, unless you just want to watch the whole thing. Also thats the Ai Cave dude, so you can click around to his other videos too if you want. This dude knows his stuff when it comes to SkyrimSE modding. His Discord is nuts. Like a team of developers and mod author geniuses. It almost looks like a business ! haha.

Edited by xInfaRedx

No I'm a retired dude, so I don't have a job (and I'm always looking over my shoulder to make sure a job isn't looking for me!!).

It's always important to start a game up and let it create it's settings etc before adding anything, including script extenders (your SKSE64 or my OBSE). I like to tweak my settings at vanilla and even play for a bit to get a baseline before adding mods (and it doesn't matter if we're talking about graphics mods or gameplay ... that baseline gives you a point of reference on your machine as they all aren't equal, even with identical specs as there are slight variations in individual hardware components).

When you use my old school "one mod at a time" method you know how each mod has moved you from that baseline and in which direction.

I keep a variety of saves for testing mods etc. Before I make the rare commitment of adding a mod to my existing load order and saveline it has been quite thoroughly tested using those testing saves. Some of the time I'll use a more recent save, sometimes it will be one of those early saves (to get an idea of how the mod affects low level characters). The saves I create while installing mods to get a load order set up are never used for gameplay on my character. I get the load order to my liking and then start a new game. Hard drive space is cheap, so I have more saves backed up than I'll ever need (part of my packrat problem).

I got dragged onto Discord for a mod collaboration/team thing but I haven't been back on since (except when trying to track down one inactive team member). I have more than enough time sinks in my life ... not looking for another.

I'm always looking over my shoulder to make sure a job isn't looking for me!!

Haaa !! Excellent.

Man, congratualtions on being retired. I tip my hat to you sir ! I can not wait to get there myself.

You deserve it man. Relax and play videos games for the rest of your life now. I LOVE it !

Yes, so my story is this, let me know if this won't work, or if anything is wrong here:

I about a few months ago now after getting my PC, downloaded steam and bought SkyrimSE. I did just simply instal it all in default locations, default instals. I played about 30hrs on a character while fine tuning my Nvidia settings to the "Ultra" settings on the in game video options. I also fine tuned all my settings everywhere, including debloating windows, turning off updates, etc... Everything running perfect. No complaints, looks smooth and beautiful. No screen tears or stutter frame not once.

I as well then discovered the mod section in the menu screen of the vanilla game. When I used to play on console about 8 years ago, this was not there. I tried one, worked fine. No bad changes. I did another, then another, same thing. All good. I have about 8 now. And these also all just went on working on my current play through/saves just fine. BUT I imagine these work seamlessly due to these are some officially supported Bethesda ones or something. I have no clue really what they are vs the ones on Nexus.

Now about 80hrs into my play, all is well. BUT I want some mods that are not on the menu screen mod place (whatever that place is). I really still want to play through this character and not have to toss it, BUT get the switch over from the menu screen mods to Nexus mods.

My plan is to learn everything as I did ahead of time, as to make less major mistakes. Then back up my current save(s). Uninstall everything, delete it all so nothing is there. The reinstall it all (Steam and SkyrimSE) as instructed by Ai Cave/GamerPoets. Then launch as you said to the files needed auto generate. Make sure vanilla is running fine like I know it should with all my graphic settings, etc.. and also via SKSE64 (but with no mods yet). Just make sure that launches and all is well. If all is fine I then would ideally like to use my backed up save and continue from there as I begin modding.

But my question is, at that point the game will be launching from the SKSE64 launcher. So when it does that, does it generate different types of saves therefore any non-SKSE64 saves won't work ? Or no, are your saves always still generated by the SkyrimSE game and not SKSE64 ?