Installation Questions

xInfaRedx

I'll take your post as "gospel" regarding MO2 use.

LOL Well I don't know about that. haha.. But I'm just reporting what a few I trust seem to be saying. I by no means will say its truly true yet. (but I feel its a good start).

What I will do though is try it all and report back as to what happens. Keep in mind I am such a newbie that I expect problems outside of the installation problems, so if I experience issues, it might not necessarily be a issue with the advice I took. As even these guys in their tutorials say that mod conflicts are expected and a way of life, period. So expect them sometimes. But a proper instal makes it so you can at least rule that part out and most likely do simply things to fix your conflicts. (like load order and/or not using some mods with others, etc..)

So yea, let me take the plunge and I will report back as to if it all works, or if my computer spontaneously combusts ! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I wanted to report back once I had the proper time of doing things right and testing, etc.

I also was able to join the person's tutorials I been following's Discord. This helped a lot to truly do things as recommended.

That said I am not done of course (modding is a growing, living breathing thing) but I have about 90 plug ins running now. ALL for now are dedicated to bug fixes, patches to fix this, that, menu improvements, patches for those, bug fixes to fix bug fixes type stuff, and Audio improvements. And all the essential tool mods (SKSE, BAE, SAC, SSEEdit, Ffdec, BethINI, SDK CK, etc..)

SkyrimSE is running super smooth and in a way that just feels much better than ever before. I am not into my graphical or gameplay improvements yet, so I will not speak on that for now). The point of this report is to say everything is indeed running flawless and snappy. So I can indeed stand behind the instal techniques explained:

Steam App = C drive (SSD) root directory NOT inside any default program folders.

Steam games = D drive (SSD) root directory in a folder named Steam Library

All modding stuff (your organizer, tools, etc.. = D drive (SSD) root directory in a folder named "Modding Utilities"

Saves still go to default location which is on C drive

I have a backup folder for all save BACKUPS and various SSEEdit backup generated files on my D drive root folder named BackUps as well. This is convenient and a good idea.

I can vouch for this method working extremely well. With so far 0 issues. I will disclaim though, I un-installed everything first and clean re-installed it. This I feel is always a key to having things work well. I didn't just drag my folders out of the C drive to the D drive, as that's not as clean and can lead to the issues some people claim they have.

Thanks for all involved with help here.

It is a very nice gesture that you report back. Very good to know that, even it was a little help, you was able to do something with it.

Also very nice to know that you where able to have a good installation. I wish you a very good play time with a very nice game in your very personal world.

Have fun.

• 8 months later...

So I got a new computer at the end of last year, has a ~500 gb SSD and a 1 tb HDD. I briefly browsed the comments on this thread, and obviously trying to save space as playing with mods is a very heavy storage burden. I've turned to symbolic links for almost all of my Steam games, and so far they work very well. But how can this be done for games like TES V? Somewhere I read on the Nexus forums that a symbolic link will not work on games like Skyrim and Fallout. Does anyone know a workaround to this? Or the specific link that can be used?

So I got a new computer at the end of last year, has a ~500 gb SSD and a 1 tb HDD. I briefly browsed the comments on this thread, and obviously trying to save space as playing with mods is a very heavy storage burden. I've turned to symbolic links for almost all of my Steam games, and so far they work very well. But how can this be done for games like TES V? Somewhere I read on the Nexus forums that a symbolic link will not work on games like Skyrim and Fallout. Does anyone know a workaround to this? Or the specific link that can be used?

Sorry, that is not my field of expertise. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in to help you. Curious as to why even use symbolic links though ? I mean the target of the symbolic link (in this case the game) is taking up space no matter where it resides, so what is a symbolic link saving you ? Other than having it take up space elsewhere. But you can just launch the game (and all its mods) from the "elsewhere" place it's residing. So.... yea.

But I admit, I most likely could be missing something here. As I've never used symbolic links.

Edited by xInfaRedx