[LE] NifSkope help: Making a ground mesh for a custom helmet

Hello, so my predicament is that I have a helmet from a mod for Oldrim (the cephalopod helmet from this mod, I am not the author) but the mod author didn't create a ground mesh for the helmet. I've been trying to make one myself (for use in Special Edition, not sure if that's relevant) by following the instructions in this post but have been unable to get it to work. More specifically, these are the instructions I followed:

- armor.nif is the mesh for which you want to create a ground object.

- template_go.nif is a ground object which you will duplicate into a ground object for your armor.

- armor_go.nif is the ground object you will be creating.

Open armor.nif in NifSkope:
- Select the mesh's BSTriShape.
- Uncheck Skinned in Vertex Desc.
- Uncheck Skinned in BSLightingShaderProperty, Shader Flags 1.
- Verify that Environment_Mapping is checked in BSLightingShaderProperty, Shader Flags 1.
- Save as armor_go.nif.

In Outfit Studio:
- File, Import, From NIF... armor_go.nif.
- File, Export, To NIF... armor_go.nif.

Open armor_go.nif in NifSkope:
- Unlink skin instance by editing Skin to empty.
- Select skin instance, right-click, Block, Remove Branch.
- (if only 1 mesh) Select armor BSTriShape, right-click, Block, Crop to Branch.
- Ctrl+C.

Open template_go.nif in NifSkope:
- Select BSFadeNode.
- Ctrl+V.
- Select other mesh(es), right-click, Block, Remove Branch.
- Adapt position of new mesh and collision object.
- Save as armor_go.nif.

The problem is as soon as I try to use this ground mesh in the creation kit, it immediately freezes and crashes. My best guess is that this might be because the mesh for the helmet I'm using has an NiTriShape block instead of a BSTriShape block and the ground mesh I'm pasting into uses a BSTriShape block so there might be some issue there. I tried converting the NiTriShape block into a BSSegmentedTriShape block which fixed the crashing issue but then the ground mesh appeared invisible in the creation kit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very inexperienced with meshes and NifSkope so I'm pretty much lost here. Thanks.

You should convert the helmet mesh to SE first and foremost before following that process or you'll never get anywhere. You can do that with SSE Nif Optimizer.

Ok so I converted the mesh to SE with SSE Nif Optimizer and it's still crashing. I also did Spells -> Sanitize -> Reorder Blocks in NifSkope because someone on a reddit post mentioned that but it didn't work either. Here is the current nif I have if anyone wants to look at it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97z34w1xlv5cpnn/telhelmetgnd.nif?dl=0

• 8 months later...