A Thank You to all the people who have helped me on this forum.

Ok. So a bit more information. I apologise if any of this is obvious.

This is the guide I followed: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Voice_Acting:_A_Complete_Guide

I put the facefxwrapper in tools/audio

Then Data/Sound/Voice/Processing I have the FonixData.cdf - (I think I downloaded it from nexus)

From memory the above was the fiddly bit. I am afraid I can not tell you how this got set up properly. I vaguely remember that the fonixdata.cdf file did not seem to work by itself and that facefxwrapper was needed. I am sorry I am a bit sketchy here. I just can not remember how this got sorted. CK kept throwing up errors but then at some point it started to work.

The below can all be found in the guide above:

In the Voice folder I have a folder that is my mods name - (exactly as it appears ... including .esp at the end)

In your mods folder (above) I then have a folder that is the exact name of the voice type I wish to use on my npc. So for me, the voice type file I created in the CK for my custom npc is called THJackVoiceType - and that is the name of this folder.

Inside this folder are all my voice files.

When you record inside the CK you should have a temp.wav file that self generates in the data/sound/voice folder. Hit record, record your dialogue, and when you stop this file should generate automatically.

Then if you click the flag "from wav" and hit save you should then get two files in the processing folder. A temp.lip and temp_resampled_audio.

Rename temp.lip to the file name generated in the edit response window in CK and put it into your voicetype folder along with another automatically generated voice wav that should already be in there.

Then copy the voice.wav, paste it in the same folder and rename it .fuz

You should now have 3 files in your voicetype folder

Personally I then go and delete the temp file in the voice folder and then the two files generated in the processing folder (not fonix) - to keep it all neat.

Once you have these files, in these correct folder paths they will play and show (lip) in game. To change the voice file, to something of far better quality, just name it the same as the voice file created with this process and replace the file you generated through the CK.

Do not forget to generate a new seq file using sseedit after doing any new dialogue or it will not show up in game.

Hope this helps a little, and again apologies if this does not.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's even easier for me.

I record all my voice files and give them a name that is the first few words of the response text. I record mono with CD quality and save as .wav.

I also create the folder structure that you mention TyburnKetch, exactly as you said. I then add a second dummy folder.

I move all the wav files into the NPC voice folder. Then I create the dialogue in CK to generate the voice filepaths. I have both CK and Explorer open and copy/paste the voice filenames from CK to rename the voice files correctly.

This is where my naming of the original wav files is useful. The first few words of the response are on display in CK when I rename the files in the voice folder, so I don't make any mistakes assigning the wrong filename.

Close and re-open the quest, highlight the valid voice type for each respons and generate a lip file. This just results in paired voice and lip files. If I already have fuz files in there, this is where I cut the paired files and put them into the dummy folder. I then do ReFuz on the dummy folder and cut/paste the resultant fuz files back into the proper voice folder. There is no need to keep wav and lip files. I leave a set of the original wav recordings in another directory, in case I need to edit any of them after testing in-game.

FaceFXwrapper is needed, as is FonixData.cdf

Ok, I have downloaded CK fixes and FaceFXWrapper, still need FonixData.cdx. Did a search on Skyrim Nexus didn't find it.

EDIT- Or on Fallout 4 Nexus. Can somebody send it to me or upload it please?

Edited by antstubell

Bet you didn't expect all this when you wrote the post, antstubell?!

Don't know what microphone you have, but I use a 'Blue Yeti'. It has some problems, mainly picking up vibrations through the desktop, but it's great value and good quality, and you have a choice of recording modes. I've virtually eliminated the desktop vibration interference by sitting 3 'IsoAcoustics Gaia III' HiFi component AV mounts under a heavy onyx chessboard and the mic sits on top of that. Cheaper solutions (but nowhere near as effective) are folding a mouse mat to go under the mic, or even bubblewrap folded helps.

Voice acting is something I hate.

I was forced to do it for my mod expansion. It's not live yet, but if you download and play when V 2.0 is live, Athrilor is my voice. If you think it's any good, I may be willing. Aia is my daughter's voice. She's not here right now so I can't speak for her. She may or may not want to do it.

The problem with vanilla voice files, as you'll know, is that you are limited to the vanilla dialogue. Cutting parts of a line is alright but trying to blend sentences together often sounds awful. If generic comments are OK, that'll do though.

The dialogue I wanted had words that didn't exist at all in vanilla files!

Appreciate the offer. Eight now I can't even get anything into a dialogue. I tried an edited .wav file, the file structure was correct, I copied the file name and renamed the .wav file but nothing. After recording silence I click save and CK crashes - Fatal Error. I am lost.

Recording silence? I don't do that.

I type in the dialogue, close and re-open the reponses, copy and paste the filenames,

Next time I open the response I just highlight the voice type in the box for 'Valid NPCs' select 'From Wav' and hit 'Generate lip file'. It makes one and I then use UnFuzer. The response text must match the words spoken in the dialogue, too. If you're just using a straight complete vanilla line, just plonk the original fuz file in, re-name it and it should work. Depends what you did when editing if that'll work for you or not. If you've cut out words, you'll need to generate the lip file.